Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,703 times

Advertisements

I am currently a high school senior from California, and I am looking at two potential colleges to attend in Michigan. I have already applied to Northern Michigan University, and got accepted, however, I have just applied to Michigan Tech, and I am waiting for a response. I heard that Tech has a very good reputation in Michigan, but I haven't heard anything about Northern. Also, how is the state of Michigan compared to California? Any tips for a possible future michigan resident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 AM

123 posts, read 224,431 times
You put a lot out there but I can add some info. First check the Michigan forum for a thread about Michigan Tech from a mom from Texas with a high school senior, it will provide some insight. In general terms Tech is well known for their excellent engineering programs where Northern is a more typical, mid-level college. It is hard to compare further since you don't say what your major would be. Michigan compared to California? Well is that LA compared to Detroit? San Francisco compared to Grand Rapids? The central valley compared to the thumb? Or far northern CA compared to the UP?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 AM

89 posts, read 194,261 times
If you are going for engineering, then yes Tech would be great. I can't really speak much to Tech's other programs. Tech is one of the more expensive Universities in Michigan. Not sure if that is a big factor, but Northern tends to be a little cheaper.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,656 times
I agree with cmuguy and aoletsgo. Tech has an excellent engineering program. I've worked with a handful of grads (both recent and not-so-recent) and all were well-educated, capable, and had good things to say about the college. +1 for heads-up on the relocation though. The U.P. is not for the faint of heart, especially in the winter.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:46 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof95 View Post
I am currently a high school senior from California, and I am looking at two potential colleges to attend in Michigan. I have already applied to Northern Michigan University, and got accepted, however, I have just applied to Michigan Tech, and I am waiting for a response. I heard that Tech has a very good reputation in Michigan, but I haven't heard anything about Northern. Also, how is the state of Michigan compared to California? Any tips for a possible future michigan resident?
What is your reasoning for going to college and what do expect to get from going to college? These are actually questions that most people don't really have an answer for that should be answered before dropping 100k on something.

If you want to go to school for engineering, then MTU is one of the better schools in the country for that. You can't go wrong with any engineering major there.

I don't really know if NMU really specializes in anything like how MTU is an engineering school.

Also, if you're in California, what drives you to want to go to a college in northern Michigan? Not that I'm saying there is anything bad about the area, just an honest question. There's a whole country out there and you isolated it to two schools within a couple hours of each other.

If you're a female, your social experience will also be drastically different than if you are a male at both of these schools as well. Northern's male/female ratio is a little bit better than MTU's due to it not being an engineering school.

Also, as far as recognition, outside of Michigan, I don't think anyone really has heard of NMU as it's just your everyday state school. But MTU is known across the country.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:02 AM

864 posts, read 1,720,468 times
When I was at MTU (25+ years ago) , NMU was considered a party school. There was no real comparison in the schools -- MTU provided a better education. That being said - I wouldn't recommend MTU for anything but engineering. MTU has a good reputation but it's mainly for their graduate programs and the research that is being done there. Go to a community college in Michigan for your first 2 years - it's a complete waste at MTU. Get your filler courses at a discounted rate somewhere else. Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, and English can be done as well or better at the community college. And then there's the thematic studies (that's what it was called when I went there) which were more filler courses that had nothing to do with your actual major. I don't know why students always want to go to a 4-year school and pay a premium for stuff that they can take near their hometown. The best part is that your GPA starts over when you transfer the credits. You then get to go to a university where you can concentrate on your field of study and not have to worry about filler/weeder courses.

I wouldn't worry too much about the reputation of the schools. Reputation matters a lot on the prestigious east coast schools but not that much when it comes to the midwest. Your school and academic performance mean practically nothing after your first job anyway. A relevant graduate degree generally beats an undergraduate degree regardless of the school too. Your job savings at a community college might pay for a year of graduate school. My goal if I were starting over would be to get that piece of paper at the lowest cost that I could and minimize debt. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: