Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 36,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence Jones View Post
Michigan will become one of the poorest states in the country. Thanks to free trade. The home values are dropping lower and lower everyday. Foreclosures galore. If you have cash to invest in a home Michigan is the place for foreclosures.

stjosephmichigan.blogspot.com
Hey! I thought you were talking about Wisconsin! There are a lot of foreclosures here, too.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:49 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfreedom View Post
Nobody will stop you if you want to move. But beware...the grass isn't always greener somewhere else. Don't get your hopes up.

I live in Wisconsin and it gets pretty cold here too. But we just crack jokes like, "this is Wisconsin. If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it'll change'. Yes, winters can be tough. But I'd rather bundle up in layers I can peel off as the weather changes before I decide to move somewhere that gets so hot in the summer that you can't take off any more layers and you are still sweltering. I love Wisconsin summers, even though they are too short. I'm hardy enough to tolerate the winters
So you don't like the midwest? Go ahead and move to the sweltering heat of Atlanta.
My daughter showed a lot of wisdom already at 5 years old. We encountered a crabby, complaining woman when we were grocery shopping. When we left the store, I said, "boy was she unhappy!" My daughter just said, "Yeah. But people are as happy as they choose to be." If you choose to be so unhappy in Michigan, don't expect your attitude to be any different somewhere else.
Good luck!
NewFreedom, Michigansnowflake never said anything about moving, I was just giving a "friendly tip" from my experience in Ca. just in case the thought ever came to mind.
Sorry if I was misleading.
But thanks for your advise, I've heard that Wisconsin can get colder than Michigan.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Hey! I thought you were talking about Wisconsin! There are a lot of foreclosures here, too.
The foreclosure rate is High every where, including but not limited to Ca. or should I just say "out west". and even here in OK.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespeterson View Post
ITS SOO cold out here in michigan i cant wait to move to atlanta where its warm.

Seriously the weather in michigan sucks and so do the job markets.

Give me couple more months and good bye michigan!

Sorry if you thought I was responding to Michigansnowflake.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
[/b]

Sorry if you thought I was responding to Michigansnowflake.
Excuse me, I stand corrected

Old 12-13-2007, 12:10 PM

I grew up in the Wisconsin Northwoods, close to the UP border. COOOOLD, yes! But I loved the snow, loved drawing pictures in the frost that covered the windows, loved the crackle and crunch of snow under my boots....and remember thinking how funny grandpa's beard looked with frost on it. When you have the attitude of adventure you can face the challenges. Now, I'm a bit older and the cold makes old injuries ache a bit. But I still love it here in the midwest. When you take on a negative attitude about something, that negativity colors everything in your life and you look for reasons to complain.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:06 PM

NewFreedom wrote:
Quote:
I grew up in the Wisconsin Northwoods, close to the UP border. COOOOLD, yes! But I loved the snow, loved drawing pictures in the frost that covered the windows, loved the crackle and crunch of snow under my boots....and remember thinking how funny grandpa's beard looked with frost on it. When you have the attitude of adventure you can face the challenges. Now, I'm a bit older and the cold makes old injuries ache a bit. But I still love it here in the midwest. When you take on a negative attitude about something, that negativity colors everything in your life and you look for reasons to complain.
Never said more wisely

Yeah, us guys can even write our name in the snow in yellow print

Old 12-16-2007, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,587 times
Default Leaving Michigan

Michigan is beautiful, but culturally, geographically and economically there is not much happening. There is also very poor leadership from the capitol. There are way too many police here. I live in Manistee where there are 13 full time cops for 6000 people; its a police state. The jails are full of small time felons and they keep raising taxes to pay for it all. All the younger people are leaving the state and not much new blood is coming in. There is negative population growth here.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:04 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_heffe View Post
Michigan is beautiful, but culturally, geographically and economically there is not much happening. There is also very poor leadership from the capitol. There are way too many police here. I live in Manistee where there are 13 full time cops for 6000 people; its a police state. The jails are full of small time felons and they keep raising taxes to pay for it all. All the younger people are leaving the state and not much new blood is coming in. There is negative population growth here.
Maybe you are just too close to GR. West Michigan seems to be having a lot of crime these days. Always happens when there is a down turn in the economy.
From what I see , on the GR news. Allegan County is the worst these days , and , I am close to the county line ! We need more Sheriff patrols here in Van Buren.Only one guy for the whole north east county area !

Old 12-18-2007, 01:12 AM

4 posts, read 61,611 times
After Living in 6 different cities and 6 different states when I was younger ,I've grown to love the changes here ,it is cleaner ,more scenic and the changes are more drastic .At 50 it helps to mark the years of my life.
Move around alittle ,you wll see.
Someone added the grass is always greener ...I found the grass is greenest here and the winter is the whitest,the people could be the kindest and most helpful and less judging with absolutely no airs...of course there are those of us whom are a little less secure and occasionally need to put someone else down to seat ourselves a little higher but ...
Arizona is 120 in the summer ,all flat desert and squared off streets with boxed houses litterally, people are transient because the jobs are not there either ,the youth sells drugs to provide for themselves and if they are lucky they will not get swallowed up by the drug culture ,Connecticut is older buildings ,families and the snow does not compare ,Delaware is Poor country or congested city and dirty snow,
Florida is Humid more months than we have cold ...they have the flying bugs everywhere during the humidity,I have to assume you will too.
Texas has roaches the size of a fist NO LIE, NY has rats and crime and drugs and gangs ,etc,etc
For Me and my Children there is more beauty, less crime more people that are willing to reach out to help and a healthier life style .
I love it.... I hope you will change your mind but you may still have to see that the grass is not greener for yourself.
sbruge1 / Upper Penninsula MICHIGAN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan