Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:25 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

It depends on which direction - a mile due north would be horrible!
I'm guessing it's the College Cultural neighborhood SE of the University? That is actually a very nice little neighborhood, not typically referred to as downtown though. A lot of educators, attorneys and such live in that area. Nice older, mostly brick houses, mostly with small yards, walkable. When I lived in Flint I'd often walk my dogs through there and also around the cultural center and along Kearsley Creek.

College Cultural Neighborhood Association | Just another WordPress.com weblog

Mind you it's adjacent to some blighted, slummy neighborhoods. And it's still Flint, with the crummy joke of a city government, minimal services and sky-high water rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 AM

89 posts, read 194,320 times
Agreed with chiroptera, depending which way you go, one mile makes a big difference in Flint. As mentioned, don't head north.

The Cultural area is good. That whole area around Mott is not terrible. There are some really nice pockets in Flint and in the township.

If crime is an issue, take a look at a crime map like this: http://spotcrime.com/mi/flint

It should give you an idea of some of the bad areas.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseylatelyyy View Post
Thanks everyone!!

My Mom got a pretty high position at the University, and with that position came a house and that house is about a mile from the University (so in Flint). Is that considered Downtown? She visited twice now and really likes the area directly around the University. Does anyone know much about that area? While Im looking for one of the above mentioned cities for my family, I'm interested to hear from anyone that is familiar with the area around University of Michigan Flint.

Thanks!!
I grew up on West Second Avenue, corner of Mason Street. Back in the 50s and 60s, this was a nice neighborhood that had gentrified. I was one of very few kids living in the area. Most neighbors were retirees.

That entire area was pretty bad back in the late 80s, but it's now being revitalized as a historic part of Flint called "Carriagetown." The "carriage' reference refers to the early auto pioneers who had their start building carriages.

Many homes are old Victorians, and are being remodeled. I'm still not sure that I'd want to live there today, though - unless well-armed.

The neighborhood south of Mott CC/Court Street always was a nice part of Flint. Many of my friends from high school lived there, and were the children of attorneys, realtors, doctors and the like.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:02 PM

50 posts, read 79,796 times
Flint one of fastest shrinking cities in U.S. It's usually a good indication when a great many people move out of a city that it's probably not a good idea to move there. On the other hand, you'd probably get a great deal on a house. I'd advise buying a house in, say, Clarkston which is a straight shot down I-75 from Flint and far enough away not to be negatively affected by it.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChester View Post
Flint one of fastest shrinking cities in U.S. It's usually a good indication when a great many people move out of a city that it's probably not a good idea to move there. On the other hand, you'd probably get a great deal on a house. I'd advise buying a house in, say, Clarkston which is a straight shot down I-75 from Flint and far enough away not to be negatively affected by it.
There are plenty of nice communities much closer than Clarkston.

Why does everyone consider all of Genesee county to be a crime ridden and terrible? Even Flint itself is not 100% terrible.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM

10 posts, read 13,244 times
Most people from the Metro Detroit region think it's the center of the universe. I've lived in Grand Blanc and Fenton as well as a number of Detroit area suburbs and I'll take the Flint area without a doubt. People are people and just the commuting factor makes the Flint area rule. Clarkston, give me a break.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:49 AM

19 posts, read 48,102 times
We are visiting in the next month or so and going to look at Grand Blanc for a house. Maybe even Davison?

I'm most interested in a family friendly area. In a perfect world I'd live close (couple miles or so) to my kids school. Live in a neighborhood with other families that have kids (even if its just a few families here and there) and in an area that has shopping (typical stores like Target, TJ Maxx, Drugstore, Grocery Store, etc)

Where I live currently there are 6-7 public elementary schools. Is Grand Blanc like that? From what I've heard they have pretty great schools! I don't at all need multiple schools to pick from, just planning a trip out and wondering if visiting multiple schools is going to need to be on the list.

THANKS EVERYONE!! All your advice is so helpful!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:59 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
I live in Grand Blanc borderline Flint and absolutely love it here. My son goes to Grand Blanc Middle and he loves it. The schools are awesome and the weather it great...well I came from Georgia so the weather was a real change for me. But its been fascinating. The people are nice...this is a great time to visit because the weather is beautiful this time of year. Welcome and I hope you get settled real soon

Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 AM

19 posts, read 48,102 times
Is Flint Township the same as Flint?
I noticed thats where theres a Target, TJ Maxx, Walmart Supercenter, Krogers there… just seeing it from google maps. Looks like its off Highway 69, or is it a freeway? lol, all i know is freeways haha. Its to the East of Flint on the 69

So from a Map I see Flint, then to East of Flint theres a Target and theres also one to the West of Flint. I promise I'm not addicted to Target Just know its where I mainly go to get things…and trying to get a general idea of the area of Flint many posters have said to stay away from. I feel like some people talk about North Flint as the area to steer clear of. Any idea of East vs West.

It looks like if I lived in Grand Blanc I can take Center St to the shopping area and its about 15-20mins away. But not if the West side of Flint is an area to steer clear of...

Old 04-24-2014, 02:32 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
I spent time at a fraternity brothers house in Grand Blanc. They lived on the golf course (Warwick Hills) and it was very pleasant ... So definitely look around G.B.
Not sure Re. public schools (they change over time) but others will/have chimed in.

Good luck & congrats on your new gig !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan