Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 PM

389 posts, read 1,652,158 times

Advertisements

I believe the thumb of Michigan is by far the best place to live in MI. in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:38 AM

790 posts, read 2,312,552 times
OP: you might want to look at Williamston. The Lansing public transit system (CATA) has a commuter bus line that connects it to the greater Lansing area. I'm not familiar with the town myself, but I've heard some good things about it. Some MSU faculty live there, probably. It's smaller, more affluent, and slightly more diverse than Howell according to CD stats.

Webberville and Mason also have public transit connections to Lansing. Chelsea and Dexter have public transit connections to Ann Arbor. Be advised that traffic on US 23 between Brighton and Ann Arbor can be horrible during rush hours.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:39 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,588,516 times
I've lived all over this state. Hands down A2 was my favorite place, although I do miss my house on the lake in Pinckney which was not far from Howell.
If you're coming from Socal you are going to find even A2 to be a small town. Ann arbor is diverse, whereas Ypsilanti right next door has a larger African American population. Perhaps on the border of A2 and Ypsilanti might be what you are looking for. Check out the 94/23 corridor. It would be a good location if your husband has to drive to Detroit via 94, and to Lansing via 23.
The western metro area is much less in your face with regards to others views on these issues than you might think, although the schools for teenagers in the outlying areas are going to be less acceptable to something like your daughter dating another race. I would be more concerned about high achieving schools, A2 rates the highest.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:59 PM

293 posts, read 847,164 times
Howell is 95% white. It's not really a diverse place. Here are the official statistics:
Demographics

In general if you want to go to any semi-rural area, pretty much anywhere in the country, it is going to be more conservative and less diverse. You may ultimately have to choose between a diverse environment and rural vs urban. That doesn't mean your only choice for diversity is the inner city, for example, but the further away you get from the city, the more likely it is that anyone who seems like an outsider will find it difficult to fit in.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,070,272 times
Brighton is slightly more diverse than Howell. You can live outside the city limits and still be in Brighton Schools. A plus for Howell is there new curriculum that includes several really great programs including a FIREFIGHTING ACADEMY and AVIATION (you can be licenses to fly a single engine plane!)
Not to say Howell is cliquish, but it is. Again you can live outside Howell city limits and be very rural. Look at Howell School boundaries and you will find there are many options. I would check the curriculums at Brighton and Howell and go with the one that seems to have more interest for your kids.

In short--Howell for a great curriculum

Brighton for more diversity (but do not expect it to be a box of GRAPE NUTS)

A note on the US 23 I 96 interchange---

It will be tore up starting in June and whole new ramp sections will be built. This is going to be a real PITA going east, north or south from Brighton. BUT once it is done, it will be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan