Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 PM

358 posts, read 1,075,001 times

Advertisements

Greetings from North Texas,

My son has been accepted to Michigan Technological University. I would love to get feedback regarding the school and surrounding area from some Michigan residents.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 PM

192 posts, read 493,922 times
My son loved Michigan Tech, so much so he took a job with them before he even graduated and is still there, some 18 years later. Tech students have a great reputation with businesses because so much of their learning is hands on. They graduate well prepared for the workplace. The professors are very much involved with their students. I remember going up for a visit when my son was still in High School and the head of the department met personally with us. Tech works closely with many major corporations and the government, so again students have the opportunity for hands on and networking before graduation.

Does your son enjoy outdoor activities? The area is great for all winter activities, downhill, X country, telemark skiing. If he is a bicyclist the area around Copper Harbor is being compared to Moab. The UP of Michigan can feel isolated to some and the winters can be long. But for natural beauty it would be hard to top it.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
If he loves being outdoors, beautiful scenery, history and SNOW, MI-Tech is great. Bring skiis, parkas and a 4 x 4 or pick up a snowmobile once he gets there.

What FUN!!

Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
MTU is the best engineering school in the midwest.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
We are proud of our instuations of higher learning., up here in the UP.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:09 AM

358 posts, read 1,075,001 times
You all are helping to alleviate my fears. My son loves the outdoors, and will enjoy the bike trails, the golf course, and the fishing opportunities, which is one of the reasons MTU is his top choice. I'm afraid however, that he's going to be shocked at the weather. He's lived in Texas all his life.

What about the social life up there? The school is only 25% female. Of course I want him to concentrate on his studies, but it's important to have a healthy social life. Thoughts.................

Old 10-08-2013, 05:39 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I am pretty sure there are people living there in Houghton as well as students. Once he gets settled there are other cities to vist before the snow reaches the 150 inch mark. Baraga in just a bit south and he can get to the muntains for weekend skiing.
I do not think you need worry about him becoming a eunuch or going into the priesthood for lack of a social life.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 AM

192 posts, read 493,922 times
This reminds me of a friends daughter who went to Tech. Her mother would send her restaurant gift cards to use on the weekends, when she went to visit her, there the cards all sat. Daughter never used them as she had a date every weekend.

Yes the ratio is off kilter, but there are plenty of local girls, Finlandia college in Hancock, and a lot of back and forth between Northern MI in Marquette.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:23 AM

746 posts, read 837,904 times
I'm a Tech grad. Grew up in Maine and decided that MTU was the best fit for me. I absolutely loved it there.
Although not even in the top 25 engineering schools in the US, it is well respected by employers. Towards the end of my senior year in Mechanical Engineering, I wound up with 8 job offers.

Outside of the school itself, there is an endless amount of outdoor activities to pursue. I never even scratched the surface. One thing different about Tech is that it isn' a suitcase college like many other of Michigan's universities.

One way to get better acquainted is to read the weekly updates of the school's newspaper The Lode at Michigan Tech | Student Newspaper.
Check back in later next year and let us know how he is working out. And he will also find plenty of fellow Texans there...

Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Although not even in the top 25 engineering schools in the US, it is well respected by employers.

It is for materials science/metallurgical engineering. MTU's grad school in MET is full of students from all over the world. They would not go to an isolated corner of northern Michigan if it weren't top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan