Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 PM

195 posts, read 278,329 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I know there are a lot of "I want to move to Michigan" questions/threads already out there. But, I figured one more wouldn't hurt! I am currently an elementary school teacher in Alaska and my fiancé is a case manager for a non-profit that works with school-age children. We are both mid/late twenties and into outdoorsy and intellectual (i.e. nerdy) activities. While we both love our jobs and living in Alaska we want to move towards the "settling down" part of our lives and we'd love to relocate back to the Midwest.

That being said, there are many areas of Michigan that I am interested in but could use more information about. I'd love any and all information about Holland, Grand Rapids, Traverse City, and various places in the UP. I'm very open to suggestions about other towns as well! What are some pros and cons to these places? Are there areas you'd specifically NOT recommend? Is there anywhere in the state that you'd highly recommend for a teacher? After living in Alaska I feel like the cost of living is extremely low in the Lower48 but I'd love to hear about COL from the perspective of people who live in the area as well.

Thanks so much!!

Extra Info: I was born in Michigan and have spent every summer there for the last 20+ years. My parents recently retired to the Saugatuck-Douglas area and we'd love to be able to drive and visit them (as opposed to a 14hr plane ride). But, we are open to any towns/cities/villages. We've lived in both very urban areas (Chicago) and very isolated areas (rural Alaska). Both have their pros and cons IMO and I am not set on one specific population size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:30 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
If your lifestyle is dependent on you getting a teaching position, you may want to consider other areas~teaching positions are very tough to find in the state, although the situation is improving. Any of the areas you've inquired about would be great areas for outdoor activities (especially the TC area). Grand Rapids is the most metropolitan of the areas and you could probably both find positions that would utilize your educational background, even if they weren't in public education. There are museums, private schools, the Meijer Gardens, hospitals and other public institutions that could probably use your expertise.

The areas outside of Grand Rapids (villages or smaller communities) would be affordable housing/rent wise, and there are areas of GR that are being revamped to attract the young professional. Try using the Grand Rapids section of this forum for more specific areas/neighborhoods/communities along that portion of the state.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the info teachbeach! Is there anywhere in the state where teaching jobs are on the upswing? It seems like most of the country (and particularly the Midwest) is really struggling in the realm of public education these days. We've been pretty spoiled with the insanely good job market in AK and expect that we may have to take jobs outside of our current professional situations. I really appreciate the specific suggestions you gave!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:06 PM

447 posts, read 495,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
If your lifestyle is dependent on you getting a teaching position, you may want to consider other areas~teaching positions are very tough to find in the state, although the situation is improving. Any of the areas you've inquired about would be great areas for outdoor activities (especially the TC area). Grand Rapids is the most metropolitan of the areas and you could probably both find positions that would utilize your educational background, even if they weren't in public education. There are museums, private schools, the Meijer Gardens, hospitals and other public institutions that could probably use your expertise.

The areas outside of Grand Rapids (villages or smaller communities) would be affordable housing/rent wise, and there are areas of GR that are being revamped to attract the young professional. Try using the Grand Rapids section of this forum for more specific areas/neighborhoods/communities along that portion of the state.
True for many districts in Michigan, but not so in all of them.
Do some research before you choose.
Kalamazoo Schools have been growing every years since 2005 and they hired dozens of teachers this year alone.
Kalamazoo Public Schools enrollment in 2005 - 10,223
.................................................i n 2013 - 12,620
This is all during a time when most districts are losing enrollment from many factors, to include the fact that there are less school age children in America than there were 10 years ago.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the great information westernwilly! I hadn't looked into Kalamazoo too much but I definitely will! Knowing that there are some schools in the area still growing in enrollment size is great. That can mean awesome things for both the community and teachers. Any other information on the area? How is the outdoors community? Housing? Thanks again!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:08 PM

301 posts, read 823,100 times
Actually, Kalamazoo area saw a decrease in enrollment from 2012 to 2014. Check out this article from Mlive -
Recession baby bust impacts Kalamazoo-area school enrollment in fall 2013 | MLive.com

Old 03-30-2014, 04:47 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
From a person that was born and raised in MI, then moving to AK (Mat-Su) for about 4 years, then again moving back to MI about 2 years ago, I'd say look toward the northern parts of the UP from Munising westward. I have no idea how the teaching field is doing, but I do know there are a good number of AK transplants in the UP, also in the very northern tip of the LP. I see and meet more every year. I/we live in a very small area, Bliss Township, in the very northern LP now, but looking to move to where I've stated above quite soon. Many people that have lived in both MI and AK call the northern and western UP, AK junior. You stated that you have summered here in MI for the past 20 years, but not where you have. Not sure if you have explored much of the UP, but I'd recommend giving it a long look.
As far as the cost of living goes, I'd say the two states are about the same, at least comparing northern MI to the road system areas of AK.
Also, depending on where you have lived in AK, be prepared for much more snow in northern LP and UP.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 AM

447 posts, read 495,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post
Thanks for the great information westernwilly! I hadn't looked into Kalamazoo too much but I definitely will! Knowing that there are some schools in the area still growing in enrollment size is great. That can mean awesome things for both the community and teachers. Any other information on the area? How is the outdoors community? Housing? Thanks again!
That is a compiled list of 35 school districts in 4 counties of SW Michigan.

Look at KPS and the surrounding suburban school districts and you will see that they grew or only declined slightly. You will also see that there are yearly fluctuations were one year may be down and the next year is up, but the overall trend is rising......ie. KPS lost .7% from last year but had gained every year from 2005 until 2012. Vicksburg (another suburb) lost from 2010 to 2011 and then gained it back and more since.

Look at the over all trend over time Kalamazoo and the surrounding suburban districts are on a steady rise. Can you say that about any other city in Michigan and their suburbs?

Note that in Michigan's "lost decade" the only metro areas to grow where Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Holland, Ann Arbor and Midland. Midland has since petered out, but the other 4 are still going strong!
3 of the those 4 cities are in West Michigan and all within 50 miles of each other. It does not take powerful brain cells to see that this is where the most opportunities are at in Michigan right now, or that the area is the future of Michigan.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 AM

Thanks westernwilly! I really appreciate all of the info about the teaching market! It's always nice to get some information about areas where the market is growing an improving. A small amount of fluctuation will happen every year just due to population/class sizes and .7% definitely is a small amount that I'd guess could be attributed to that. Great info!

Nephler, what areas in the UP would you recommend? Other than a few weekend trips there as a kid I haven't spent a ton of time there. We always spent summers in Saugatuck, MI and sometimes up by Ludington. But, I've spent some time in northern Minnesota during winter (I'm guessing they are comparable weather-wise). Also, I've lived in Bristol Bay and SE Alaska both. SE Alaska is very mild! Our typical weather is rainy and in the 40's so it definitely doesn't compare to UP winters. I would be interested in the area though! The teaching market seems to be pretty typical of small-town areas. But, what about the other job markets? Are jobs available in the UP for someone with education and experience? My fiancé doesn't teach and would be looking for professional work outside of the realm on education. He works with youth with behavioral problems but he isn't fond of the public school system and would be open to other careers. I've never lived on the road system in AK so the COL to the lower48 isn't really comparable. Haha. I'm not sure anywhere else in the US spends $10+ on a gallon of milk! Yikes! I'm excited to go back to the $4-$5 range. Any other info about UP regions is super appreciated! I'm very interested in the UP and possibly upper LP but I don't know a ton about it. Thanks for the great response and questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan