Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times

Advertisements

Have other home gardeners found their Butterfly Bushes and English Ivy plants dead this Spring following our recent arctic winter? Is there any hope in allowing additional time for possible budding of these plants before firing up the chain saws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 AM

15 posts, read 16,783 times
Default Doing fine

My butterfly bushes are coming up and doing just fine...I thought I was going to lose a few plants over the winter but I was wrong....hang in there...I they are very cold hardy and tough plants.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:33 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB515 View Post
My butterfly bushes are coming up and doing just fine...I thought I was going to lose a few plants over the winter but I was wrong....hang in there...I they are very cold hardy and tough plants.

Thanks. We are certain the Ivy is dead (stems break easily with only a tug) but maybe the Butterfly Bush will come back

Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Give it some more time before you pull it out. It's a late spring this year.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:17 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
We and several others in our neighborhood lost a lot of small boxwood shrubs. I'm pretty sure they are a lost cause, because they have turned completely yellow.

I hope we NEVER see another winter like this one in my lifetime!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
We and several others in our neighborhood lost a lot of small boxwood shrubs. I'm pretty sure they are a lost cause, because they have turned completely yellow.

I hope we NEVER see another winter like this one in my lifetime!

I'll second that! I sure hope this winter will be nothing like what we've just been through. Right now I'm enjoying all the beautiful green that I'm seeing out my window. The daffodils are blooming so it's this gorgeous color contrast. It will just keep getting better as more flowers come. I got so tired of winter with nothing but all white all the time.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:54 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
For me, the snow and the cold temps are annoying after a while, but the worst is the bare trees and dead grass. I hate when everything looks dead, and I'm also really enjoying this gorgeous, green springtime weather!

Our winters, though, assuming that they're not going to be like this past one again anytime soon, would not be enough motivation to make me move to a sunbelt state, especially when the bare trees and dead grass extend all the way down into much of Georgia for at least 3 months of the year and they have way worse summer weather to contend with than we do, not to mention a huge influx of "grass is greener" people flocking there from the North and overburdening their infrastructure, water supply, etc.

Driving to Florida in February and seeing the throngs of people, insane traffic, and high crime rates was enough for me to really appreciate what we have here.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:56 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Hold off with pulling out the butterfly bushes until you have given the plants ample to time to see if they will generate new growth that might pop up to the surface from the roots. If that happens & new growth develops, you can later remove the dead material by trimming it away.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:16 AM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I bet there are many people who are happy to see that they finally got rid of their English Ivy. That stuff can really take over.

I'm still waiting for leaves on my rose bushes. A lot of new growth from the base, but the existing branches have almost no new leaves. I'll have to start pruning pretty soon.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
For me, the snow and the cold temps are annoying after a while, but the worst is the bare trees and dead grass. I hate when everything looks dead, and I'm also really enjoying this gorgeous, green springtime weather!

Our winters, though, assuming that they're not going to be like this past one again anytime soon, would not be enough motivation to make me move to a sunbelt state, especially when the bare trees and dead grass extend all the way down into much of Georgia for at least 3 months of the year and they have way worse summer weather to contend with than we do, not to mention a huge influx of "grass is greener" people flocking there from the North and overburdening their infrastructure, water supply, etc.

Driving to Florida in February and seeing the throngs of people, insane traffic, and high crime rates was enough for me to really appreciate what we have here.
I agree with everything you've stated. Winters are very difficult for me. I'm a jogger so once there is so much snow and ice around I'm always grounded until spring. I realized this past winter that I have to get an exercise machine for the house this year so I can keep active while we're snow bound.

In spite of my strong dislike of winter I don't intend to leave Michigan. It's too beautiful here for most of the year. I love the Great Lakes and all our smaller lakes, rivers and streams. There is so much to love about Michigan that this state will always be home to me. No place is going to be perfect all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: