Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,861 times

Advertisements

Looking for a good area to move. I'm in my 20's and a GM new-hire. Prefer the trendier scene, I guess you could say--good food/bars, semi-artsy, not necessarily a big city but a good life to it and stuff happening.

I'd prefer newer housing options. Most housing I've looked at is fairly dated. Looking to rent apartment (maybe condo).

Below are recommendations I've gotten from a couple people I know in the area. Agree/Disagree? Specific one you think I might like knowing these generic parameters?

Recommended
* Southfield
* Royal Oak
* Sterling Heights
* North side of Warren
* Madison Heights
* Novi/Farmington Hills area
* Ferndale
Avoid
* South side of Warren
* Pontiac

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 02:16 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,554,862 times
Royal Oak/Ferndale out of all of them will have the trendiest scene. There's also plenty of recently built apartments and condos in those areas specifically Royal Oak. Of course, nothing like on the scale and quality as in Seattle (personally, I really like the new residential developments in Seattle and wish they'd build some like those here but we just don't have that strong of an economy).

Most of the other options are fairly sleepy suburbs with most housing built in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Another option I'd suggest is Midtown Detroit as it's becoming pretty trendy and there's a few pockets of newer housing as well. Though a majority of options will be renovated older properties.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,861 times
Great, thanks for the input! Yea, it makes it a little hard having some of these Seattle-instilled expectations for housing, but we do pay a premium for it. I have heard a few people recommend that Detroit could be a pretty cool spot with certain "factors" driving down the cost of nicer housing. Maybe i'll have to look into it a little further

Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 PM

915 posts, read 1,494,996 times
Given your parameters, Royal Oak or Ferndale or Detroit would be the places to be. My husband and I went downtown this week and were really impressed with what we saw happening down there, even with the rainy weather.

I'd say maybe to Farmington Hills just because I know some 20 somethings who have lived there and didn't dislike it.

The rest aren't bad places to live (except Pontiac/Southside of Warren), but more family oriented. Sterling Heights has a lot of good food in the area, but isn't really artsy/trendy. Madison Heights tends to be families that didn't want to pay Royal Oak prices for single family houses.

Hope that helps a little.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 16,734 times
you may like novi or farmington hills ann arbor is a good place for the college crowd.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,554,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufaun View Post
Great, thanks for the input! Yea, it makes it a little hard having some of these Seattle-instilled expectations for housing, but we do pay a premium for it. I have heard a few people recommend that Detroit could be a pretty cool spot with certain "factors" driving down the cost of nicer housing. Maybe i'll have to look into it a little further
The biggest factor is that there's still quite a few vacant buildings around (speaking of downtown specifically). Lately though, a lot of them are in the process of getting renovated. Still, you don't have to go very far to find a burned out vacant structure or a very run-down neighborhood. However, crime is lower downtown than it is in other parts of the city and even a bit safer than downtowns of other major cities. Regardless, it'll definitely be a shock coming from Seattle, if not at least just by the vibe alone.

That's not to say it's any less enjoyable though.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 PM

372 posts, read 597,259 times
I wouldn't recommend any part of Warren. The areas in Warren that aren't horrible(yet), are getting pretty sketchy. And Warren is far from trendy.

I think you'd enjoy Royal Oak or Ferndale, those are the two most exciting cities on the list.
Avoid Southfield and Pontiac.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:35 AM

514 posts, read 760,976 times
Ugh, why are you leaving Seattle? It is such a beautiful and thriving place. You will be entirely unimpressed with the Metro Detroit area.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 AM

211 posts, read 297,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Ugh, why are you leaving Seattle? It is such a beautiful and thriving place. You will be entirely unimpressed with the Metro Detroit area.
I agree.. You will be unimpressed, but the cost of living here is low! however, you generally get what you pay for.

There aren't a whole lot of trendy places here in Detroit. Maybe Royal Oak and Ann Arbor.. that is basically it. Coming from Seattle, you will be unimpressed by either one.

My biggest question is why would u leave your job to join the auto industry here in Detroit...

Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 AM

123 posts, read 223,215 times
Well golly gee you guys are right!
Why would a young engineer move to work in one of the largest tech centers in the world, when they could stay in a cool hip place like Seattle and work at a Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan