Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:43 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,566,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Seriously?

We're not talking about Soldier Field or the Rose Bowl here. This was not a historic stadium. It hosted an NFL team for a mere 27 seasons. It was a bland stadium devoid of character. The team that played there was bad to an epic degree, winning one playoff game over that span of time. They had only 8 winning seasons, four of them mediocre 9-7s, a pair of not-much-better 10-6s, and one 12-4 season (when they got crushed in the NFL title game).

It was a purely utilitarian building. The Hoosierdome and the Metrodome saw more drama and talented teams than ever did the Silverdome, and even they're not worthy of so much as a backward glance. And concerts? Domes are lousy locales for music.

The only 'heartbreaking' aspect to this is that politicians and the public have such screwed up priorities that they're willing to foot the bill to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars to build new stadiums for billionaires not because the middle-aged stadiums are no longer functional (they are more than functional) but because said billionaires can't quite squeeze as many millions out of them as they'd like.
Ok. I generally agree with you. But I also have that feeling that you get when someone is talking bad about a family member. It's OK when I do it, but not when someone else does it. There were some amazing memories in the Silverdome. When it was sold out it was probably the loudest place in the NFL. Barry Sanders made his magic there. Some of those seasons under Wayne Fontes were pretty entertaining.

So, yes, there is nothing "tragic" about the Silverdome falling apart. But... take it easy, man. Those are my childhood memories you are minimizing! And, just for the record, the Vikings and the Metrodome are just as big of a joke as the Lions. Sure, they failed in the Super Bowl at least, but failure is failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:32 AM

275 posts, read 440,148 times
We were there in 2009 for a Bands Of America high school marching band competition. The band directors said they'd never go back to the "Echo Dome". In years after the band would travel further to go to venues that invested to make their stadiums more acoustically suited to these types of events.

Based on my experience there, I'm not surprised with where this ended up. My take: If you're going to re-purpose a stadium, and if you're hoping to have any chance of seeing repeat customers, you'd better make the necessary adjustments to make it a venue worth going to. Some hanging baffling to improve the acoustics would have made this a great venue.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,879,979 times
I wanted to jump out of a plane and fall on the roof!! POOF!!!

Anyways, the air tight seal with revolving doors was toxic for truck and motor cycle events.

The air pressure was hard. Cooling was no where to be found. Just stuffy BO.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:37 AM

3 posts, read 2,496 times
Many fond memories, including the World Cup, concerts, delightfully toxic monster truck rallies, and playing state championship football there but it was created during the age of auto-dependent sprawl in the 20th century and was doomed to fail.

Nothing but parking lots in all directions. No one thought to design it so businesses could develop around it, so families could get dinner or friends could grab a drink and leverage the income and tax revenue from the events.

FedEx Field outside DC for the Redskins was naively built on the same sprawl model 20 years later in the 90s. It's far morevsoulless and there's already serious talk about getting rid of it and moving the team back into the city.

Both the Silverdome and FedEx were short-sighted mistakes but least Detroit learned its lesson and built the beautiful Ford Field from the city's historic infrastructure, immersed in and feeding the energy of the city today. It will last generations.

And they did it all without impervious acres wasted on parking. Good memories from Pontiac, but best to keep them there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: