Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2007, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 23,425 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating from Sac, CA in summer/fall 2008 for his job in Southfield. He will be commuting back and forth until we relocate permanently. I would really appreciate some feedback on some of the areas we are thinking about moving to..

We love the Brighton area, but are concerned about the commute to Southfield.

We are thinking Northville, Plymouth, or Novi.

We are late 40's and our kids are now grown. We would like a well built home for upkeep and utility reasons, and with some wooded foliage for privacy. We are concerned about the market of course and buying, but nothing can be worse than CA for major loss!

Can anyone give me some insight on these areas for the housing market, growth, and general ameneties? I will be traveling there in Feb (I heard the worst month..)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 12:27 PM

106 posts, read 535,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby2007 View Post
My husband and I will be relocating from Sac, CA in summer/fall 2008 for his job in Southfield. He will be commuting back and forth until we relocate permanently. I would really appreciate some feedback on some of the areas we are thinking about moving to..

We love the Brighton area, but are concerned about the commute to Southfield.

We are thinking Northville, Plymouth, or Novi.

We are late 40's and our kids are now grown. We would like a well built home for upkeep and utility reasons, and with some wooded foliage for privacy. We are concerned about the market of course and buying, but nothing can be worse than CA for major loss!

Can anyone give me some insight on these areas for the housing market, growth, and general ameneties? I will be traveling there in Feb (I heard the worst month..)

Thanks!
Well, Southfield and the general area around it are more "urban." They're safe and beautiful, but the houses are closer together, which doesn't sound like something you want. The commute from Brighton wouldn't be too bad, and that's a beautiful area. Northville, Plymouth and Novi are also very nice as well. Also check out the North Oakland County area: Lake Orion, Oxford, Waterford, Rochester, Oakland Township, etc. My friend is a realtor, and he said that he thinks that the market is pretty much bottoming out. It can't get any worse, so now would be the time to buy when prices were low. It may take 2-4 years, but the market and economy will recover, so your home is a good long term investment. Hope I could help, and welcome to Michigan.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,948 times
I'd recommend Farmington Hills, and West Bloomfield. They're closer to Southfield but have a much better reputation. Also, I think property taxes are very high in Southfield. However, this depends on your budget, too - Northville and Novi will find more affordable home prices.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Look though the various threads on this site. There is a lot of discussion of various areas on other threads. Rent First!. You need to get to know the different places. The is a huge difference from place to place (except the bland suburbs that are pretty much the same). I think that Franklin Village is pretty close to Southfield.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Oh based on your desire list. look at the houses in Milford right behind Kensington metro park. Bring your kayak and x-c skis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan