U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,659 times

Advertisements

So I joined the military back in 2000, got stationed in Washington state (which I wanted) and got out, worked for an awesome company in aviation for 3 years, and in October of this year, I quit and moved back to Michigan. My family is here, this is where I was raised. I'm single, no kids, and I LOVED the pacific northwest, but it's sooooo expensive that I could barely afford the ghetto! On the flipside, after alot of warnings from family and friends about the failing economy here, I am turning in resumes left and right, getting help through the VA, placement agencies, etc...I have not had a single call back!!! I've had my resume looked over, thinking it could be that. What gives? I'm perplexed. Not sure if I made the right decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 12:35 PM

106 posts, read 502,373 times
Well, it depends. What field are you looking in? In the Detroit Free Press, it said that college educated jobs are booming, and are often short of workers. Here's an example of some of the jobs available in Michigan right now:

Healthcare related jobs: 3,000 positions
Banking jobs: 609 positions
Accounting jobs: 3,000 positions
Engineering jobs: 900 positions
Aerospace Industry: 32 positions

The problem is, manufacturing is dead. There's nearly 80,000 jobs available in the technical and medical fields that are unfilled for a lack of qualified workers. So, honestly, the economy only affects certain industries right now. If you're in manufacturing, you're probably hurting for a job, but if you're in one of these fields, you can probably find one fairly easily. Here's the story, in case you're interested: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071209/OPINION03/712090311/1007/OPINION&imw=Y (broken link)
I would honestly advise anyone who is currently laid off to go back to college, if possible, and train for one of these fields.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:19 PM

8,885 posts, read 18,043,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy67 View Post
So I joined the military back in 2000, got stationed in Washington state (which I wanted) and got out, worked for an awesome company in aviation for 3 years, and in October of this year, I quit and moved back to Michigan. My family is here, this is where I was raised. I'm single, no kids, and I LOVED the pacific northwest, but it's sooooo expensive that I could barely afford the ghetto! On the flipside, after alot of warnings from family and friends about the failing economy here, I am turning in resumes left and right, getting help through the VA, placement agencies, etc...I have not had a single call back!!! I've had my resume looked over, thinking it could be that. What gives? I'm perplexed. Not sure if I made the right decision.
As dmetro said, doing "what" in aviation? Engineer? Pilot? Mechanic?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:50 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,434,754 times
That's the problem with all the economic "hot" sports in the country today: they are too expensive.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:00 PM

13 posts, read 33,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetro View Post
Well, it depends. What field are you looking in? In the Detroit Free Press, it said that college educated jobs are booming, and are often short of workers. Here's an example of some of the jobs available in Michigan right now:

Healthcare related jobs: 3,000 positions
Banking jobs: 609 positions
Accounting jobs: 3,000 positions
Engineering jobs: 900 positions
Aerospace Industry: 32 positions

The problem is, manufacturing is dead. There's nearly 80,000 jobs available in the technical and medical fields that are unfilled for a lack of qualified workers. So, honestly, the economy only affects certain industries right now. If you're in manufacturing, you're probably hurting for a job, but if you're in one of these fields, you can probably find one fairly easily. Here's the story, in case you're interested: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071209/OPINION03/712090311/1007/OPINION&imw=Y (broken link)
I would honestly advise anyone who is currently laid off to go back to college, if possible, and train for one of these fields.

That article, I believe, presents a slanted point of view. Here's why: Michigan is short 900 engineers for a good reason, but it is NOT because there is a shortage of engineers. U of M, MSU, and several other universities churn out plenty of new engineers every year. In additon, several new engineers come to Michigan every year in hopes of finding a job with one of the Big Three automakers or their suppliers. There is a shortage of engineers because Detroit is getting its a$$ kicked in the automobile industry and is letting a lot of "run of the mill" engineers go in an effort to replace them with engineers who have many, many years of automotive experience. This is their attempt at becoming more competitive in the marketplace by drawing upon that experience to develop new and compelling products. Young engineers and recent college grads simply get squeezed out because they lack EXPERIENCE, not education.

There is however, a legitimate need for accountants....so if that's your thing....go nuts. Deloitte & Touche, KPMG, Earnst & Young, Plante & Moran, and PriceWaterhouseCoopers all have offices in or around Detroit.

Every state is short on medical staff and here's why: Many of the "good" health care positions (M.D., RN, LPN, etc.) require a lot of education and training beyond what most people desire to learn. The working conditions are less than ideal as many shifts are long and include nights, weekends, holidays, etc. My sister-in-law is an RN and absolutely hates every bit of it. She studied for 5 years and hates her job after 5 months. Those jobs that are not one of the "good" ones, pay $8-$13/hr. Hardly worth the headache for most people. Lastly, insurance companies have crossed the line and control so many area of medicine and treatment that medical professionals can't make enough money in time to pay back $100K-plus loans and earn a top salary. I find this insulting since they have one of the most challenging jobs on the face of the planet.

I can't comment on the Aerospace industry. I am simply not familiar with that market.

Banking jobs are plentiful too...here's why: most banking jobs are teller/customer service/call center jobs and the turnover for such positions would make your head spin. Banking jobs that are not of that type, involve sales of mortgages, checking accounts, CDs, Money Markets, Investments and other bank products. Well, guess what? Michigan is BROKE...its people and its government. So good luck selling any of that stuff, especially the mortgages. How do you sell mortgages when 1/3 of your states's homeowners are in foreclosure? Furthermore, job seekers are tired of being promised $100K/yr. commissions when that simply does not happen for 99.9% of those who take the job. Also, most job seekers with college degrees are often "overqualified" for 90% of the available positions to begin with and are quickly dismissed as candidates. Cool huh?

Kinda hard to become an educated workforce when employers don't hire them.

My advice would be to leave MI as soon as possible. If you are contemplating returning...DON'T. There is NO incentive.

Hope this helps those in wonder.........

Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 AM

47,531 posts, read 63,177,862 times
Sounds depressing -- I know of a couple of guys that just moved to Michigan, no college and found jobs right away -- maybe just lucky.

I think after a while if one is looking and looking and looking and getting no bites, that discouragement and even panic will make the job prospects worse. No one will hire someone who appears too desperate or unsure. If it starts getting to that point, then you're better off to leave while you can still display a positive attitude -- and have some money to move with.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:49 AM

28,431 posts, read 67,566,674 times
If you can move, look on the West side of the state. The economy is better there.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:56 AM

12,083 posts, read 35,492,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Guy View Post
My advice would be to leave MI as soon as possible. If you are contemplating returning...DON'T. There is NO incentive.

Hope this helps those in wonder.........

Don't yell this to the world at large though, the employers I've talked with in Michigan the last couple of weeks might hear you and cut some of the benefits and offers I've had tossed our way. Why is it that everybody who is the loudest complainers of the economy insist that the entire Michigan economy is tied to the Automotive Industry, and the Detroit economy? Maybe Detroit area, but not the entire state. Instead of automatically looking South or West when things get a bit depressed in the SE, they should look in State further away from that corner. Not that I mind, more opportunities for me and my family, with bigger incentives on the job and more houses to choose from.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:59 AM

850 posts, read 1,716,228 times
i honestly think it depends on your field. aviation? i've never known there to be tons of aviation jobs in michigan? bad economy or not.....
i do find it amazing that people would declare the entire state completely worthless, for as many people that say there are no jobs here, there are even more people working every day. all of my friends are employed, all of my family. i was the only person i knew laid off. and i'm still not complaining....i had job interviews before i left for chicago (i did not leave because of the economy either), but didn't take any jobs because i decided to leave. i've been here for 3 months, i've sent out over 30 resumes....only 3 people actually called me back for an interview. i took the one job i was offered and hated it so much i ended up quitting. i'm coming back to michigan....and i WILL get a job. hang in there, if you really want to live in michigan and be close to your family you'll make it work. if you expect the economy to cater to you, then yeah...maybe you are better off leaving. these aren't easy times and people need to be more flexible.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 AM

7,340 posts, read 10,045,330 times
Here's a tip: there is a nationwide shortage of pharmacists so severe that if you go to work at a CVS as a pharmacy tech -- I think this goes for Rite-Aid too -- they will send you to pharmacy college for FREE. I also have a friend who's a pharmacist who wanted to quit one of her jobs. They basically begged her not to leave because she couldn't be replaced. She said, OK, I'll stay if you give me a $100/hr raise. She assumed they'd tell her to take a hike.

THEY GAVE HER THE RAISE.

Another well-paid, easy-to-get job right now is drug company sales rep. They hire almost anybody who's personable and reasonably well educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan