Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,984 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am about to complete my Phd and I will be relocating to Detroit Metro for a new job. I will be turning 30 next year. I will be moving by myself but my girlfriend is looking for a job in the area and hopes to reach me in January.
My job is at Detroit Diesel Corporation so you can see where it is. I have been reading some threads of people in my same situation so I have some ideas. However, I would like to hear your opinion!

At first, let me say that I am a little confused about the crime/safety situation of the area. I read posts of people saying that is really bad but at the same time I can find posts of people stating the opposite. I have to admit to be somehow attracted by the story of Detroit and probably I will be willing to try to live in downtown one day. I am convinced by the fact that if people started to move back into the city maybe things would start to be good again.
However, at the beginning safety is going to be #1 concern for me; I will most likely drive a mercedes and I would appreciate not to have people breaking into my house at night or while I am at work. I was there for the interview and honestly it did not look so dangerous to me. Then I started to read stuff on the web and my opinion changed. Now, is there anyone who works in the same area willing to give some advice?

I am looking to spend maximum 1500$ for rent+utilities. I want to limit the commute to maximum 30 min.
With this in mind I was looking at Royal Oak, Birmingham, Novi, Northville, and maybe Plymouth. Am I missing any other good option?
I am living in Germantown, MD and I am assuming that this type of suburbs can be somehow similar to what Northville or Novi are while Royal Oak and Birm. could be more similar to Silver Spring and Bethesda.

I found something on Craiglist and Zillow but honestly I was expecting more options. I am in contact with a real estate agent but any suggestion or recommendation would be very helpful.

Other info: I am not too much into parties and stuff (I had enough in college!) but I do love to have a bar/brewery where to go sometime for a couple of good beers and I am really into food, so places with restaurants would definitely be better.

Thank you and do not hesitate to ask questions!

A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:15 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
All of the areas you listed are extremely safe and you wouldn't need to worry about safety if you lived in any of them. With very few exceptions, the suburbs of Detroit are very safe and crime is not a problem. When people refer to crime in Detroit, they are usually referring to the city proper.

Royal Oak is the young, hip party spot with endless bars and restaurants. Birmingham skews a little older and is the wealthiest town is SE Michigan. Nice downtown with lots of upscale bars and restaurants. Novi and Northville are more family-oriented, but also have a lot of eateries and bars to choose from. Northville has a nice downtown. For $1500/month you could rent a nice home in any of those areas.

As far as commutes, Northville would be located the closest to Detroit Diesel - probably a 20-30 minute commute. Novi would be around 30 minutes. Not sure about Birmingham and Royal Oak as they are on the opposite side of the metro area.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
There are some areas of downtown that have really been cleaned up in the last few years. (Night and day difference, cleaned up and improved, new businesses, etc).

Others, not so much and these areas can be a block or two away from the nicer areas.

Livonia/Farmington Hills would be other choices to consider

Old 06-20-2014, 04:41 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
Birmingham / Bloomfield Hills will be at the edge or slightly more than your 30 minute max. commute wish.

Dearborn might be a possibility ... I believe it is significantly more upscale than Livonia and Plymouth ... You might also look in the Grosse Point area, but again that would be at the edge of your commute window.

There is lots of info on the city data site under the individual cities

Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 PM

580 posts, read 777,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post

Dearborn might be a possibility ... I believe it is significantly more upscale than Livonia and Plymouth

Dearborn more upscale than Plymouth? (comparing the 'downtown' strip of Dearborn on Michigan Ave v. the few blocks in between Penniman and Ann Arbor Rd. in Plymouth).

Maybe larger, but certainly not more upscale.

OP: Currently live in Ellicott City, MD. Lived 2 blocks away from downtown Plymouth; absolutely loved it. Within walking distance to a number of nice bars and restaurants, very safe and friendly place. Like a small version of downtown Frederick.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:23 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
Looks like Livonia or Farmington are closer. Farmington truly is an "up and coming" area with many young people moving in! Small downtown but restaurants are increasing in number, there is established movie theater and brewpub is coming shortly. Much development to come; check it out. Low crime rates. If you want more upscale (as in wealthier but stodgier vibe), you want Northville or Birmingham. Much larger downtown areas there. Plymouth's is larger, too.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:34 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
If you want to rent a condo or home I would look on realtor.com under rentals. Then when you call the listing agent they could probably send you other listings.
Awhile back I knew someone who rented a small home in Birmingham which was walking distance to shops and she really liked it. The homes are small and usually don't have attached garages. Some may not have air but some may. You are also close to Troy and the mall there and major freeways.
In Novi there are more apartment complexes if you would rather go the apartment route. If you like the smaller town feel then Northville or Plymouth but again there will be smaller home rentals and some older apartments.
In Bloomfield Hills be careful because I noticed some ads for BH and really it is almost Pontiac and Pontiac is not desirable.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:54 AM

15 posts, read 16,783 times
Novi would be a good area for you

Old 06-21-2014, 12:36 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
Eric, why in particulat do you recommend Novi, though? It would be further to drive, don't you think? It's a perfectly nice suburb, just wondering, considering general info OP gives and commute.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,984 times
Thank you all for your comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan