Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
People keep saying they are just kids. So does that mean its ok to take in every kid that comes across our borders? They are just gonna keep coming and coming...when does it end?
I have concerns about how these kids were brought up. How do we know how these kids are gonna act when they get older? I also agree with the health concerns. Sorry, but they need to go back. They may be just kids, but there are way too many questions and concerns that are not worth the risk.
Are you serious? So you automatically assume that children raised in the U.S. are better equipped for the world than kids raised in other countries? Have you not seen the stats on U.S. kids and education? Failure on just about every level imaginable.

When does it end? Should they have ended mass immigration back in the early 1900's when this country was really booming? The U.S. growth has dropped to a paltry .7% per year, which is way lower than even the 70's and 80's and even lower than the boom decades of the 1940's - 1960's.

There are countries around the globe that are facing some real unimaginable immigration influxes. The U.S. is not one of them. In fact, Toronto has been seeing about 1 Million immigrants PER DECADE since the 80's. They seem to be doing OK, and their economy is booming.

This whole debate just seems to be cloaked in fear of "other" cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 PM

69 posts, read 96,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I read that as: "Where can I go where there aren't any brown people."
Wow....the race card. I'm a black woman from Detroit. And I still think we need to protect our borders. I'm so surprised that people can't understand why we need to do that. No one is discouraging LEGAL immigration.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:15 PM

36 posts, read 63,805 times
Quote:
When does it end? Should they have ended mass immigration back in the early 1900's when this country was really booming? The U.S. growth has dropped to a paltry .7% per year, which is way lower than even the 70's and 80's and even lower than the boom decades of the 1940's - 1960's.
Immigration was significantly curtailed by the Immigration Act of 1924.

So when does it end in your model? Never? Or when growth is 1% per year? 10% per year? Do we tie that to GDP growth as well? Or unemployment? Or inflation? Or the total population number?

Quote:
This whole debate just seems to be cloaked in fear of "other" cultures.
I'm curious - do you believe there is no rate of immigration that would ever change the current culture of the US no matter how different or the same the immigrants' culture is to our own? Or do you believe any change to the culture of the US, no matter what it is or how fast it occurs, will always result in something better than what came before?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishIwereintheUP View Post
Immigration was significantly curtailed by the Immigration Act of 1924.

So when does it end in your model? Never? Or when growth is 1% per year? 10% per year? Do we tie that to GDP growth as well? Or unemployment? Or inflation? Or the total population number?

I'm curious - do you believe there is no rate of immigration that would ever change the current culture of the US no matter how different or the same the immigrants' culture is to our own? Or do you believe any change to the culture of the US, no matter what it is or how fast it occurs, will always result in something better than what came before?
What is the "culture of the U.S.?" Why do you assume my culture is the same as yours? Do you believe the current mix of cultures that we have is the best it can be? Or do you think we should have a mono-culture? Do you think that the U.S. can become even better than it is today, or do you think the best days are behind it when it was less "cultured?"

And yes, never. We will always be a country that won't shut its doors to immigration. Unless World War Z occurs then all bets are off. 10% will never happen. That would be 30 Million people a year. There aren't enough planes, boats, helicopters or desert trails to handle that many people in a year.

How many international immigrants do you think the U.S. receives every year? Without looking it up.. I'll give you a hint, it's way way more than the years after the Immigration Act of 1924 that you mentioned. About 10x more...

Last edited by magellan; 07-15-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_Madame View Post
Wow....the race card. I'm a black woman from Detroit. And I still think we need to protect our borders. I'm so surprised that people can't understand why we need to do that. No one is discouraging LEGAL immigration.
You made a pretty big deal about a handful of Central American kids being housed in a small rural town in the thumb of Michigan, and whether there was any place "safe" in this country anymore. It's not entirely impossible to be black and not want to be around "people of color." In fact, it happens every day. Did you know that some of the biggest racial/cultural tensions on the planet are between Pakistan and India?

I calls em like I sees em.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:58 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
Chime in with your thoughts, but I'd like to make a comparison between those who came here before, say, WWII, and the ones who are coming now. The early immigrants weren't coming for handouts, because there were none, save for soup kitchens, etc. They were seeking to make a fresh start in a country with many more freedoms and opportunities. Millions of them worked in harsh conditions, (even the children), for a chance to hang their own shingle one day.

Today, I fear, most are clamoring for their piece of the welfare pie, knowing that they are virtually guaranteed housing, medical, food, and anything else they can sign on the dotted line for.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:08 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Apparently there are no laws any more, neither the president nor government agencies are bound to any law .
What's the point ?
We are basically under martial law the way things are being run.
Obama is getting exactly what he wants , the demolition of the United States.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Chime in with your thoughts, but I'd like to make a comparison between those who came here before, say, WWII, and the ones who are coming now. The early immigrants weren't coming for handouts, because there were none, save for soup kitchens, etc. They were seeking to make a fresh start in a country with many more freedoms and opportunities. Millions of them worked in harsh conditions, (even the children), for a chance to hang their own shingle one day.

Today, I fear, most are clamoring for their piece of the welfare pie, knowing that they are virtually guaranteed housing, medical, food, and anything else they can sign on the dotted line for.
No need to fear. Most are coming for jobs, not handouts.

That's the crux of the problem. If we want cheap foreign laborers, then we need to set up an orderly way of admitting them in the numbers we want. If we don't want them, or just don't want so many of them, then we need to direct much greater levels of enforcement and prevention at employers who hire them illegally and also be prepared to pay higher prices for the goods and services that illegal immigrants currently provide.

As for the situation in Vassar, it sounds like Wolverine is filling some spots in group homes or juvenile detention facilities with these kids. Does anyone have details about the numbers, type of facilities, etc.? Until I hear otherwise, I'm assuming that the number is small and the kids will not be turned loose in the community. Depending on the situation, it may be the immigrant kids who need to worry.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Close to a Million immigrants come into the U.S from other countries every year, most of which are adults coming legally. And yet, the population of the U.S. is somewhere near "stagnant."

If you want to clearly understand the "freaked" out right, keep the number of "60 to 120 young kids" fleeing extreme violence in Central America in mind during this debate about Vassar. What has happened to this country? Why have the radicals taken over the message?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:19 AM

47 posts, read 43,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Will Illegal Immigrant Children Be Housed in Vassar, Michigan?

A wonder how the town's people feel about this???
A a person who lives in Vassar, I say 'bring them here'. Help them as much as we can.

I'm in the minority of my town's views, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan