Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,055 times

Advertisements

I'm Veronica ? from the The Hampton Roads Of Va Beach VA area

Hi I Would Like To Relocated to the Wayne County MI area / Mostly Hamtramck , MI

I Wanted to Know are there some Good Grocery stores that I'm familiar with or Supermarkets ( Walmart Or dollar General , Kroger , Family dollar , K-mart Or Target or Sams & Club, The Whole food market ) before I move there I don't mind driving further down the area i would just like to know first before moving

I Also Wants to make A Transfer to with college Right now I'm studying at the Eastern the shore Community colleges for nursing

are then any good Community colleges into the Wayne County area
could You give me a little information On the nursing jobs there and how are the hospital area

I would Like to know about the area Of Hamtramck , MI is it a safe place to live ( Like I'm not talking about the crimes and robbery there because it more of that in VA like i want to know is it just a one of those kind neighborhood you could walk around with feeling safe because i would like to raise a future family in MI and I would like to make a full time move stay in Hamtramck MI because it isn't to far from Virginia

I Have Two Cars With me a car and truck How would I Get it to MI from Virginia thanks

are there some Good Parks area in the area I'm more of a spending times out with family and friends , and having family Cooking out .

What are some Of the Good Fast food Restaurants anything like ( Pizza hut or maybe papa john pizza any Good burger Restaurants or maybe chines food Restaurants

How is the Weather there in the Wayne County MI Area meaning ( summer , fall , spring , winter thanks )

Last edited by That_Chick; 09-25-2014 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 07:43 PM

27 posts, read 49,780 times
You've never been to Michigan Before?!!! Hamtramck is a rat infested HELL HOLE!!! It is surrounded by the city of Detroit and is worse!! The city of detroit and Hamtramck are not like Chicago or Philly! There are no big corporate stores or resturants outside of downtown. Use Google maps and look at Detroit and Hamtramck! On Google maps there is that little yellow man. Click on him and drag him to the street you want to see and it will show you the street view of what Hamtramck looks like! I suggest looking at Mt. Elliot road, from the freight yards all the way down to I94!!!!! South of I94 you will see the worlds famous Packard Plant!!! Look up the Detroit Packard Plant on Bing and you will see where you want to live! This will be your physical evidence when Detroit people try to lie and tell you that it is a great place to live. If you are crazy enough to move to Detroit, find someplace north of 9 mile or west of Inkster road.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:00 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,764,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Chick View Post
I'm Veronica ? from the The Hampton Roads Of Va Beach VA area

Hi I Would Like To Relocated to the Wayne County MI area / Mostly Hamtramck , MI

I Wanted to Know are there some Good Grocery stores that I'm familiar with or Supermarkets ( Walmart Or dollar General , Kroger , Family dollar , K-mart Or Target or Sams & Club, The Whole food market ) before I move there I don't mind driving further down the area i would just like to know first before moving

I Also Wants to make A Transfer to with college Right now I'm studying at the Eastern the shore Community colleges for nursing

are then any good Community colleges into the Wayne County area
could You give me a little information On the nursing jobs there and how are the hospital area

I would Like to know about the area Of Hamtramck , MI is it a safe place to live ( Like I'm not talking about the crimes and robbery there because it more of that in VA like i want to know is it just a one of those kind neighborhood you could walk around with feeling safe because i would like to raise a future family in MI and I would like to make a full time move stay in Hamtramck MI because it isn't to far from Virginia

I Have Two Cars With me a car and truck How would I Get it to MI from Virginia thanks

are there some Good Parks area in the area I'm more of a spending times out with family and friends , and having family Cooking out .

What are some Of the Good Fast food Restaurants anything like ( Pizza hut or maybe papa john pizza any Good burger Restaurants or maybe chines food Restaurants

How is the Weather there in the Wayne County MI Area meaning ( summer , fall , spring , winter thanks )
Ahh, you'll be fine. Check out Fendale for fun.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,893,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDoughnut View Post
You've never been to Michigan Before?!!! Hamtramck is a rat infested HELL HOLE!!! It is surrounded by the city of Detroit and is worse!! The city of detroit and Hamtramck are not like Chicago or Philly! There are no big corporate stores or resturants outside of downtown. Use Google maps and look at Detroit and Hamtramck! On Google maps there is that little yellow man. Click on him and drag him to the street you want to see and it will show you the street view of what Hamtramck looks like! I suggest looking at Mt. Elliot road, from the freight yards all the way down to I94!!!!! South of I94 you will see the worlds famous Packard Plant!!! Look up the Detroit Packard Plant on Bing and you will see where you want to live! This will be your physical evidence when Detroit people try to lie and tell you that it is a great place to live. If you are crazy enough to move to Detroit, find someplace north of 9 mile or west of Inkster road.
I lived in Hamtramck for a spell and it ain't a "hell hole". It is, however working industrial class with that typical housing stock. It has restaurants, bars, but not the big chains if that floats one's boat. It is surrounded by some iffy industrial Detroit neighborhoods which are not the most beautiful.
I-75 is convenient and a straight shot north to Ferndale area or south to midtown & downtown.

I searched for my former dwelling and this might be it - typical of the style in that area, and it is not unsafe. Plenty of church-goin' families being raised here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3958...rsa2j8FKVw!2e0

Here is the Joseph Campau "strip" downtown - what you consider a "rat hole"? Though there are some seedy stores, the basic needs are in the area.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3936...rTKDFKaUdw!2e0

Has some shopping like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3925...Y8Dem8RXDQ!2e0

I suggest, as you do, that the OP take this virtual tour through the streets. They are viable and busy, not blighted.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 09-25-2014 at 10:31 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,683,999 times
Hamtramck has 2 Family Dollar with in the 2 mile city. There are lot of small grocery stores in every corner. The largest are middle Eastern grocery stores which has everything including ready made fried chicken and Arabic rice. There is also large police grocery stores as well. Very few chain name stores but there is no shortage of grocery with in the city.

Walmart, dollar General , Kroger , K-mart, Target, Sams Club, The Whole food market are with in 15 min drive at max. They aren't in the city but not too far.

there are several community collage near by again 20-30 min drive away from Hamtramck. You can try Wayne county Community collage, located downtown Detroit. Most people don't go to WCCCD, instead majority of students try Macomb community collage or Oakland Community or even Henry Ford Community collage in Dearborn. Henry Ford and Macomb are the most popular.

Regarding Nursing jobs, we have DMC (Detroit medical center) only 10 min drive from the city. Its a huge facility and most of my nursing friends started their career in that hospital complex. However, most didn't enjoy working there because there is too many patient & too little Nurse. So after getting experience they move on to Henry Ford Hospital (again 10 min drive away). One of my friend works at Ann Arbor hospital & loves it there. There are several other hospitals near by & nursing is in demand everywhere in the nation.

There are several pizza and fast food store in the city. Food wont be a issue, especially if you like Indian and Arabic food. But most of those place sell typical American food as well. There are 3 parks in the city (maybe 4) but they aren't the type one would have "cookout in". They are more sporty for teenagers to play games in & kids to run around in. For family gathering you can drive few min out of the city and find areas to have picnic in. It is walkable city. During day time, its perfectly safe to walk. At night, I wouldn't recommend being out too late especially if you are alone.

Hamtramck is a small city surrounded by Detroit. The best location to live is the middle of the city, as far away from Detroit as possible. I would suggest avoid the first block in to the city.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,055 times
Default Thank You :)

Thank You For asking all My Question I look forward to moving Next fall I'm Going to be moving in August 2015 my classes start and October 2015

Old 09-27-2014, 12:03 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,893,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Chick View Post
Thank You For asking all My Question I look forward to moving Next fall I'm Going to be moving in August 2015 my classes start and October 2015
I am wondering why you are inquiring about Hamtramck. Things have changed since I was there. When I was there 20 or so years ago, this place on Holbrook near McDougall made really good semi-deep-dish (ala. Shields') "Detroit style" pizza - carryout only.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3942..._DkeGGccYw!2e0

Old 09-27-2014, 12:42 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,831,486 times
That Chick, I am concerned about how it will be for you to get into a nursing program in the near future here, even as a transfer. If I were you, I would call some schools here and ask a lot of questions. I`m told that there can be a wait. Perhaps you should finish your current program first, and try to get experience, if at all possible. Also, I hear that it can be difficult to get a position after graduation. Experience might help a lot. I don't want to be a "wet blanket," but I also don't want you to be disappointed.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:04 PM

53 posts, read 71,973 times
"That Chick", print and read these Wikipedia pages in your leisure.

Hamtramck, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enjoy!

Good luck and God speed!

Sincerely,

Steve

Old 10-03-2014, 03:48 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,426,171 times
I was last in Hamtramck in 2003 (I think) but it is not all a "hellhole" for sure. Joseph Campau Avenue is quite nice and there are probably still a lot of good Polish restaurants there. Poles are still the largest ethnic group in the town, although many folks from the Middle East and the Balkans have settled there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan