Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:32 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times

Advertisements

You can always return/retire here~as well as visit often. If I were in your position, after last winter, I'd be looking to get out as well. Just not quite sure I would go to overpriced, overtaxed, overpopulated California. There are loads of other states with great weather, fun things to do year round, with lower COL, less traffic and lower taxes.

We moved here (by choice) three years ago, after I retired. It always felt like "home" and my family has deep roots and a long legacy in Michigan, even though I only lived here for 3 years as a child and for the 4 years I did my undergraduate work. Most of the rest of my family never left the state. Thank goodness for air travel, we can escape the cold and get our dose of Vitamin D during those frigid/gray months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 10:35 AM

231 posts, read 394,477 times
I can empathize with the topic poster. At the end of the day, Ann Arbor is really nice, but it's not that big. It's not going have the same feel as the more populated areas of California. Sure, you're essentially part of the Detroit Metro in AA, but unless you love sprawl and are an engineer, there aren't as many options available as you'd expect to find in that big of an area.

In terms of recreational opportunities, states like California slay Southeast Michigan. You might like water, but unless you enjoy small lakes, you have to drive forever to get to a quality recreational spot - unless you own a yacht in Grosse Pointe. I still think Metro Detroit screwed up bad with its shoreline (though most Metro Detroiters will NEVER agree - but do they ever stop to wonder why Detroit's entire tourist industry is basically people visiting out of sympathy/shock and awe?). You have to drive up to Lexington for a great experience, and New Baltimore or Marine City for an underwhelming one. St. Clair Shores looks stark, concrete, and ugly and is overpriced, with one if its prototypical restaurants appearing on Kitchen Nightmares.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:40 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one is lonely View Post
I still think Metro Detroit screwed up bad with its shoreline
Lake St. Clair has a fast flowing undercurrent. Not exactly conducive for recreational activity with the exception of areas that are shielded from the rest of the lake.

Unless millions of dollars were spent to reconfigure the shoreline similar to that of Chicago's then most of Metro Detroit's shoreline would remain as it is.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:44 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
I can empathize with the topic poster. At the end of the day, Ann Arbor is really nice, but it's not that big. It's not going have the same feel as the more populated areas of California. Sure, you're essentially part of the Detroit Metro in AA, but unless you love sprawl and are an engineer, there aren't as many options available as you'd expect to find in that big of an area.

In terms of recreational opportunities, states like California slay Southeast Michigan. You might like water, but unless you enjoy small lakes, you have to drive forever to get to a quality recreational spot - unless you own a yacht in Grosse Pointe. I still think Metro Detroit screwed up bad with its shoreline (though most Metro Detroiters will NEVER agree - but do they ever stop to wonder why Detroit's entire tourist industry is basically people visiting out of sympathy/shock and awe?). You have to drive up to Lexington for a great experience, and New Baltimore or Marine City for an underwhelming one. St. Clair Shores looks stark, concrete, and ugly and is overpriced, with one if its prototypical restaurants appearing on Kitchen Nightmares.
Well Detroit and a lot of other places put their industry along waterways for convenient and less costly dumping. One guy died after falling in the Rouge River and contracting parvo. Part of Detroit's new city planning has been to reclaim the riverfront from industry (addressing past mistakes?). It'll be a long process.
I also notice that many businesses like dentists, insurance reps, lawyers, what have you, like to place their offices on prime waterfront even though their customers can't see it.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:07 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
This article may or may not be helpful to the OP, but I hope it will be. Anyway, I found it to be possibly very useful reading for for anyone who is contemplating a big move of choice. Good to think about.
Wherever you go, there you are

Old 10-12-2014, 03:24 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
Quote:

In terms of recreational opportunities, states like California slay Southeast Michigan. .
Thank you, you're spot on!

Old 10-12-2014, 03:25 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
This article may or may not be helpful to the OP, but I hope it will be. Anyway, I found it to be possibly very useful reading for for anyone who is contemplating a big move of choice. Good to think about.
Wherever you go, there you are

I'm at peace with myself and I love me. I have lived in other states before, travel overseas, and look forward to new adventures in California.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:41 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
I'm glad to hear that OP, really.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:26 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:

I agree that Metro Detroit could use it's shoreline a bit better, but from what I hear the Detroit river currents are actually quite dangerous so I understand why it is the way it is.

Detroit's entire tourism industry is from people feeling sorry for it?
With nearly 16 million tourist a year I HIGHLY doubt that. In fact, I haven't met one person that visited Detroit out of sympathy .

Old 10-13-2014, 07:09 AM

211 posts, read 299,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I agree that Metro Detroit could use it's shoreline a bit better, but from what I hear the Detroit river currents are actually quite dangerous so I understand why it is the way it is.

Detroit's entire tourism industry is from people feeling sorry for it?
With nearly 16 million tourist a year I HIGHLY doubt that. In fact, I haven't met one person that visited Detroit out of sympathy .
16 million tourists is actually a really poor number of visitors. Face it, what is there for visitors to do in Detroit that is not really unique to other cities? Except for a handful of "tourist" attractions like the Henry Ford Museum and lakes which are frozen 6 months out of the year and possibly the motown museum... what else does Detroit have? IE you can go to a better art museum than the DIA in other major cities, every major city has a "eastern market" like area.... "awesome" suburbs that every metro area has?

We get less than half as many visitors as Atlanta GA, which is a city of similar size to Detroit. Heck even Cleveland gets roughly 14 million tourists per year and that city is also in the rust belt and is half the size of Detroit.

Consumer Traveler – Forbes lists Top 10 most-visited U.S. cities

Here’s the Forbes list:

Orlando, Fla.: 48 million visitors
New York City: 47 million visitors
Chicago, Ill.: 45,580,000 visitors
Anaheim/Orange County, Calif.: 42,700,000 visitors
Miami, Fla: 38,100,000 visitors
Las Vegas, Nev.: 36,351,469 visitors
Atlanta, Ga.: 35,400,000 visitors
Houston, Texas: 31,060,000 visitors
Philadelphia, Pa.: 30,320,000 visitors
San Diego, California: 29,600,000 visitors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan