Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,923 times

Advertisements

Hi
i am coming straight from Saudi Arabia to Michigan, its 91F over here and we have no knowledge how to live in freezing places what so ever, can u guide me what are good places to buy Winter clothing, a website or a brand located in US as we have no demand for them here and irpts literally scarce here.

Greetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:52 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Two retailers who are known for selling good quality winter clothing are L.L. Bean and Lands End:

L.L.Bean: FREE Shipping. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.

Lands' End | Coats, Sweaters, Personalized Gifts & More

They can be a little pricey, though, so you can go to any large U.S. clothing retailer's website, such as JCPenney, Kohl's, or even Walmart and find winter clothing.

Here is a basic list of what you will need to get through the winter in Michigan:

--long-sleeved shirts and sweaters. Flannel shirts are especially nice in the winter here.

--long pants, preferably warm, thick types like denim or corduroy jeans

--at least one heavy winter type insulated coat. A thin jacket will not cut it here, with the chilly winds and snow.

--a warm pair of gloves

--a warm hat

--several pairs of warm socks

--sturdy shoes that protect your feet

--a pair of snow boots for when you have to walk in the snow

I'm sure others can add to this list. Most retail clothing websites here in the U.S. are seasonal, so if you go to, say, JCPenney's website right now they will be featuring the kind of clothing that people wear in the winter here.

Welcome to Michigan and I hope you stay warm!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:19 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohaibkim View Post
Hi
i am coming straight from Saudi Arabia to Michigan, its 91F over here and we have no knowledge how to live in freezing places what so ever, can u guide me what are good places to buy Winter clothing, a website or a brand located in US as we have no demand for them here and irpts literally scarce here.

Greetings.
I would agree with canudigit. You can get by with a good winter coat, winter gloves, a hat and a good pair of boots to get you started. And then once you get here, see if you need to bulk up some more. If you have small children, the school may ask that the kids wear snowpants to go outside for recess (play time).

I personally like Dicks Sporting Goods. Good selection, good prices.

Winter Clothes & Winter Gear | DICK'S Sporting Goods

Some of the general retail stores like Walmart and Target seem to all have switched over to Columbia, which is not the greatest quality.

The temps have dropped, we're at 31 degrees F here today! I saw in Denver Colorado yesterday it went from 57 degrees to 18 in a matter of two hours.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 PM

325 posts, read 371,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The temps have dropped, we're at 31 degrees F here today! I saw in Denver Colorado yesterday it went from 57 degrees to 18 in a matter of two hours.
That it did. Went to the gym at 9am and it was 68 degrees. When I came out at 11am, it was below 20.

To the OP, I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud when I read your post. You're in for a treat! I grew up in Texas, which is hot but hardly Saudi Arabia, and Michigan kicked my butt the four years I lived there. I was totally, completely unprepared for the cold weather. Honestly, I don't think I really ever learned to dress appropriately. I just stayed indoors most of the time. But here are my suggestions:

* Get some thermals of some sort. I buy a brand called Cuddl Duds (yes, that is how to spell it). Get a couple of sets of both pants and shirts. These are like tights you wear under everything--they add layers without the bulk. I used to buy mine at the big warehouse stores like Cost-Co and Sam's for maybe $10 each.

* Stock up on sweaters and scarves, which you can find just about anywhere.

* I bought a nice Columbia jacket at Dick's Sporting Goods that actually served me pretty well. It is a puffy, ski-jacket type of coat.

* Buy quality gloves and cute tobaghan hats. I'm not sure where you will land, but where I lived (in Holland, Michigan on the west side of Michigan), there were a ton of great downtown, family-owned shops that stocked quality winter wear. I'm sure you could find stores like these in the downtown areas of many towns. These would be perfect for sweaters, scarfs, pants, gloves, hats.

Anyway, I wish you well!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:11 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Insulated Undies

Old 11-13-2014, 11:22 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
Thermal underwear (i.e underwear that looks like pants) and under your shirts will add 20 degrees to your body and in my mind is the biggest difference between being miserable and actually enjoying the cold.

This is what it looks like and is only about $5-10/pair. Every place from Meijer to Walmart to Kmart will sell it.

Thermal Underwear For Men - Thermal Tops & Thermal Pants From Hanes

Old 11-13-2014, 11:32 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Thermal underwear (i.e underwear that looks like pants) and under your shirts will add 20 degrees to your body and in my mind is the biggest difference between being miserable and actually enjoying the cold.

This is what it looks like and is only about $5-10/pair. Every place from Meijer to Walmart to Kmart will sell it.

Thermal Underwear For Men - Thermal Tops & Thermal Pants From Hanes
Yup. I work out in my unheated garage everyday, and have to have all the doors open. There is no way I could do it all day without insulated underwear. This IS the most important thing you can wear. Also, some nice headwear that covers your ears helps a LOT!
When it's around 30, I wear my insulated underwear, a sweatshirt, a nice hoodie (Carhart) and nice insulated cap. When It's 20 or below, I throw on a heavy carhart jacket...but I need my hoodie at all times because it keeps my neck warm, so I wear a lighter one with the jacket. I actually love the cold weather when I am dressed right.

Last edited by michmoldman; 11-13-2014 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
i love winter clothes

Old 11-13-2014, 06:08 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
i love winter clothes
I think I have at least 10 winter-ish coats.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,215 times
I cant thank you enough good people of the great USA. I listened and learned and time to do some SHOPPING ooooo yaaaaa.

I found a lot of good brands but who cared? All expansive so i decided Walmart lol, damn Canada Groose 500-1500 in avg prices!! I wonder how the homeless survive winter.

I will get back to you if i have questions but really thanks for the help.

Good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan