Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
OMG that picture! lol!

So michmolden, still loving this weather? He he...

I have serious U.P. blood, (cause I'm Finnish American, and that's where my family landed years ago and many are still in the great lakes area) but was born, raised and still live in Southern California.

I was more than irritable with our continuous heat waves that lasted into early November, but I must have acclimated, because it's about 60 degrees out this morning, and I'm actually a little chilly!
Yes.. I love this weather! When I got downstate there was no snow and I started having withdrawls...lol
I felt much better once I got to around Cadillac and seen a ton of snow. I love driving in snowstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:11 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, really interesting!

Wow, Wulf67 that (satellite?) pic is awesome!

Sometimes I wonder if I would survive in those kinds of winters...Hubby's from England, so he's used to cold, gloom and rain, and a little snow, which I grew to love as well when I spent a little time over there.

A while back, we lived in the San Bernardino mountains (in Ca.) for a few years, with a long commute to work, but it we didn't mind until the location of another job made it impractical. We had snow up there, but it was a comparatively short season. The geography was quite alpine though which made driving up and down the small hills in town during winter interesting at times.

We had a car with front wheel drive and we bought these things called "spider spikes" instead of chains, and they worked pretty good. The most challenging thing about living in the mountains was the drive up (just under 5000 ft.) when we had heavy fog, that happened more in spring. Everyone was at a crawl, you could barely see anything, and sometimes had to open the door to see where the line in the road was. You got to know every turn by odometer lest you miss the curve and go off the cliff!

Okay, I'm rambling now, but we just loved living up there. Very pretty, and very different from the typical Southern Californian megalopolis.

Anyway, I know my husband and I sometimes romanticize the thought of living outside of Ca. somewhere in cold country, but the cost of living here and the crowds and the traffic make us daydream and wonder.

In the meantime, I'll just keep wandering over here to the Michigan boards, see what's new and look at the beautiful pics!

Old 11-19-2014, 10:21 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Why would people like potential frostbite, slow, dangerous commutes, sky-high heating bills, shoveling snow, and potential damage to property? I don't get it.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:40 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Why would people like potential frostbite, slow, dangerous commutes, sky-high heating bills, shoveling snow, and potential damage to property? I don't get it.
For the same reason that people like potential heat stroke, skin cancer, humidity that makes your eyeballs sweat, sky high cooling bills, and bug infestations. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Yes...what canudigit said.
Frostbite can easily be avoided...just like heatstroke. Actually, there are more accidents in Summer than Winter...I believe I read somewhere the most deadly month to drive is August. Like Canudigit aid...Summer brings high bills also, and you are constantly mowing your yard using tons of gas, and almost constantly on the go. so does it all equal out?
Shoveling snow? LOVE it! Damage to property doesn't happen in the warmer months??
Also, a lot depends where you live. I live in Honor, so I am never dealing with any kind of traffic unless I go to TC. Even then, it is nothing really. I love Winter up here, pretty much loved it back in mid-MI..but also hated it because we never got any snow. Up here there is just too much to do and see to be miserable. I love seeing all the amazing sights we saw in Summer...now covered in snow. To me there is nothing like it, and I will never get tired of it.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:29 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
I am completely in awe..i went out and shoveled the snow just for fun..it's so soft and fluffy..the air is so crisp and clear...and the snow is still falling.... I absolutely love it

Old 11-19-2014, 06:42 PM

12" and counting here in Honor! Expecting another 6-8" tonight through tomorrow.
What a great start to the end of Fall!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:00 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Our daughter has been really stressed out lately with her college classes and pending exams. She texted me first thing this morning and said, "Isn't the snow pretty?" and I thanked God for providing such a beautiful diversion for her.

It truly is pretty. It gives the entire landscape a completely new look and when we start to get tired of it in February and March it makes us appreciate our beautiful springs, summers, and falls that much more.

I almost feel sorry for people who can't appreciate snow, but to each their own. They can have their heat, and I'll have my four seasons.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Sky high heating bills? As opposed to sky high cooling bills? Our gas bill never really gets higher than $100/month in the winter.

Potential damage to property? Like what? Droppings from trees and sunshine do worse damage to roof shingles than snow does.

So silly.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:55 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
For the same reason that people like potential heat stroke, skin cancer, humidity that makes your eyeballs sweat, sky high cooling bills, and bug infestations. Different strokes for different folks.
Huh? I never heard anyone claim they like those things. Who likes heat stroke and skin cancer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan