Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:40 AM

26,377 posts, read 46,260,872 times

Advertisements

Up close to Iron County, MI region, Vilas County, WI.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 12:19 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,865,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Up close to Iron County, MI region, Vilas County, WI.
Ahh....I can feel the chill in the air just looking at that picture. Something about snowy, cold looking pictures just gives me goosebumps.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:01 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,622,584 times
I have to wonder how many of you love the weather because there is nothing you can do about. You're stuck with it no matter what for the next six months, so might as well make the best of it..?
I came from that country and want no part of it. I'm enjoying sitting on my patio today in shorts and a T-shirt. Should be 75-78 today, but terrible cold at night, sometime into the 40s...
Love So Calif.....

Old 11-22-2014, 02:02 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,493,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Ahh....I can feel the chill in the air just looking at that picture. Something about snowy, cold looking pictures just gives me goosebumps.
Mich, you might enjoy this local page from the UP... if you click on the pics, you'll get a few more pics and some comments below. Also on the bottom of the page you'll see "bridge cam" click on that you'll find a few live stream cams of the Portage Bridge in the Keweenaw, Copper Harbor and more. I know you have some Yooper in you!

U.P. Pasty Cam

Also for a heavy snow fix, this is a really cool video I came across regarding the lake effect snowstorm in Buffalo. He put a camera on a drone and flew it around! lol! Talk about snow!!! (yet it's beautiful!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1rl...3YOVeT9lw#t=64

Hubby and I seriously need to experience up north Michigan in winter one day!!

Old 11-22-2014, 02:12 PM

26,377 posts, read 46,260,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
That is one of my favorite areas to go to. It is partially in the Snowbelt region off Lake Superior and it is one of the colder spots in the Upper Midwest as it is elevated at 1800ft elevation. This past Winter Vilas County recorded -30F temperatures even in March. Good area to visit along with the southwest part of the UP if you haven't been.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:28 PM

3,841 posts, read 4,493,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I have to wonder how many of you love the weather because there is nothing you can do about. You're stuck with it no matter what for the next six months, so might as well make the best of it..?
I came from that country and want no part of it. I'm enjoying sitting on my patio today in shorts and a T-shirt. Should be 75-78 today, but terrible cold at night, sometime into the 40s...
Love So Calif.....
Interesting perspective... and yes, I'm enjoying our weather right now as well. I've been working on a jigsaw puzzle out on our patio just wearing jeans and a t-shirt, with my ice cold drink, and it's lovely.

HOWEVER, even though the view from our apartment balcony is very pleasant, and we are lucky to be a little more secluded from the rest of the apartments, it's the first I've been out there in... I dunno... 6 MONTHS? I can't stand our heat! It makes me crazy and I avoid being outside during the summer and fall here, but like the snow dwellers, I'm "stuck with it".

I'd be just as happy (even happier this time of year) sitting with a cup of hot tea in warm jammies in front of a fire watching the snow fall doing a jigsaw puzzle.

But I do agree, it's still beautiful right now, but checking the weather, it's supposed to heat up a bit, and it will be near 80 degrees on Thanksgiving! That's not right...

But I'm not the only one... some people get "SAD" (seasonal depressive disorder) in reverse!

Standard Time Starts, And The Summer-Haters Celebrate : NPR

I wouldn't say I get depressed during summer, (or any day during the year it's over 80 degrees which happens a lot!), but I get really really cranky. Ha ha! If the hot season was much shorter, I'd be fine with it cause I know cold blustery weather would be right around the corner.

BTW, just for the record, there is a time I enjoy HOT weather, (I'm talking 100 degrees plus!) and that's when I'm visiting my brother who lives in Redding and we're out on his boat on Whiskeytown Lake and I'm jumping in it! That's fun, but we're only up there for a few days so it's a novelty.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:44 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,260,105 times
Quote:
Love So Calif.....
Wow, yet another person who is fixated on the weather as the only indicator of quality of life, and the weather for only 4-5 months of the year, to boot!

I have to wonder how many of you in SoCal love SoCal because there's nothing that you can do about the smog, ridiculously overpriced housing, nightmare traffic, sprawl, crazy people who flock there from other parts of the country convinced that they will be the next Jennifer Lawrence, risk of earthquakes, and high crime rates. And unlike the winter weather in Michigan, these are all daily problems year round.

But oh, wait. I see that I don't go over to the California forum to goad people with questions like this because I don't feel the need to question why they live where they do or what there motives are for doing so. If they are happy then good for them. Different strokes for different folks.

I can't help but think that there is something missing in the lives of people who waste time putting other people down for stupid reasons like where they choose to live.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:10 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,865,656 times
Quote:
Love So Calif.....
90% of the people I know complain about Winter yet would never move. Why? Because the other 7-8 months of the year are absolutely awesome, and having 4 seasons is just too addicting. I own a business where I sell a big variety of Michigan themed items, so I talk to people all over the country. Almost half say they wish they could move back. In fact, just yesterday I talked to a lady in CA who placed an order with me, and she said she cannot wait to get out of CA and come back to Michigan. To you sitting around home with 30 degree weather outside sounds pretty terrible. To me sitting outside in in 75-78 degree weather at this time of year does not sound very good at all. I get my fill of that during the Summer...get bored, and cannot wait for a change. To me having the same weather day after day after day sounds extremely boring. I'm not knocking CA, or any other warm weather place, and it's good you like the boring weather....like many others. But like I said, people complain most of the time...but would never move. We are not in drought, we are not on a fault line, and we do not worry about massive fires. In fact, almost all of our FRESH water lakes are well above normal levels. Right now it is raining and almost 50 degrees and I hate it!!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,118,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, really interesting!

Wow, Wulf67 that (satellite?) pic is awesome!

Sometimes I wonder if I would survive in those kinds of winters...Hubby's from England, so he's used to cold, gloom and rain, and a little snow, which I grew to love as well when I spent a little time over there.

A while back, we lived in the San Bernardino mountains (in Ca.) for a few years, with a long commute to work, but it we didn't mind until the location of another job made it impractical. We had snow up there, but it was a comparatively short season. The geography was quite alpine though which made driving up and down the small hills in town during winter interesting at times.

We had a car with front wheel drive and we bought these things called "spider spikes" instead of chains, and they worked pretty good. The most challenging thing about living in the mountains was the drive up (just under 5000 ft.) when we had heavy fog, that happened more in spring. Everyone was at a crawl, you could barely see anything, and sometimes had to open the door to see where the line in the road was. You got to know every turn by odometer lest you miss the curve and go off the cliff!

Okay, I'm rambling now, but we just loved living up there. Very pretty, and very different from the typical Southern Californian megalopolis.

Anyway, I know my husband and I sometimes romanticize the thought of living outside of Ca. somewhere in cold country, but the cost of living here and the crowds and the traffic make us daydream and wonder.

In the meantime, I'll just keep wandering over here to the Michigan boards, see what's new and look at the beautiful pics!

My husband and I did just that.....We retired and instead of following all of the sheep to Florida and parts south we moved "up north" and absolutely LOVE it!!! We live in the snow belt mecca of Gaylord and so far this winter we have had over 50 inches of snow and it isn't even Thanksgiving! All our neighbors know we moved here for the snow (from Pa) and are asking us to stop dong our snow dance.... Typically Gaylord gets almost 150 inches a year and we are already 1/3 there....Its 43 degrees today for he 3rd day of melting and there is only about 2 inches of snow left on the roof and it looks like what it used to look like in the winters in Pa....Dreary, grey, rainy and foggy and icy....Absolutely HATED IT!! Who couldn't love a Norman Rockwell snowfall, which is what it looked like getting those 50 inches!! Since we are retired we don't have to drive in it if we don't want to and we love the exercise and just being outside in the stillness and peace of shoveling. We are so happy we moved here and I don't miss anything about Pa, where I lived all of my life!!!

Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,118,383 times
Quote:
Love So Calif.....

What seems odd to me is that people who hate snow are on the Michigan forum answering a topic about loving our weather....I certainly am not going to the California forums unless I have some interest in living I or visiting California....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan