Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

The UP is a better place to live if you're retired or if you're self-employed. It really isn't a good place for younger people or families due to the relative lack of any good paying jobs for the most part. The recent census data shows every county in the UP losing population since 2010 which does not surprise me.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-25-2019 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 03:35 AM

305 posts, read 241,499 times
I hear summertime in the UP lasts only about 25 min. I need more summer than that.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,018,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
I hear summertime in the UP lasts only about 25 min. I need more summer than that.
25 DAYS, not 25 minutes!

Old 04-25-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
I've seen mid 20s for low temperatures in the Sylvania Wilderness area in June one year. Not that many bugs out yet.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 AM

51 posts, read 48,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
We lasted 3 looooooooong years in the U.P. before I had to get out. For my sanity's sake and for the welfare of my children's impressionable youth.

Care to elaborate on that? The U.P. is on my short list of retirement destinations, so I want to know the whole story about a place - good, bad, everything.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:18 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Good luck OP. My Dad lived just outside of Iron River for years. At one point, he moved to Georgia to be closer to family, but he always hated Georgia and wanted to move back to the UP. Sadly I couldn't help him move back at that point in my life, something I always regret. We have since left Georgia and moved back to Chicago. Wish he could have hung on longer so I could have moved him back to the UP. It's not for everyone, but it's a really special place for those that enjoy nature and Northern living.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:17 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Klister View Post
Care to elaborate on that? The U.P. is on my short list of retirement destinations, so I want to know the whole story about a place - good, bad, everything.
S.N.O.W. Hope you enjoy shoveling and own a humongous snow blower! LOL

Marquette, MI, averages 155 inches of snow and 189 days of sun each year. 155 inches = about 13 FEET of snow on average.

Let me tell ya, when I lived in Maine, we had 120" of snow one winter, and streets were impassable until the plows came through, and even after they plowed, the snow piles were halfway up the utility poles.

Living in the UP is basically like living in Canada, though Winnipeg, Manitoba, only gets an average of 45 inches per winter. LOL

Old 07-01-2019, 03:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Klister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post

Marquette, MI, averages 155 inches of snow and 189 days of sun each year. 155 inches = about 13 FEET of snow on average.

Let me tell ya, when I lived in Maine, we had 120" of snow one winter, and streets were impassable until the plows came through, and even after they plowed, the snow piles were halfway up the utility poles.

Living in the UP is basically like living in Canada, though Winnipeg, Manitoba, only gets an average of 45 inches per winter. LOL
Snow was the least of my concerns. I don't mind the weather there. I'm much happier in cold climates. It's everything else about the U.P. that nearly had me committed.

As long as you know what you're getting into you should be fine. I never wanted to live there in the first place so being isolated in a remote, backward, 40+ years behind the times area with no amenities was not my idea of fun. Oh, and the lack of any type of livable wage job for a college educated person. It's not my preferred culture so I wasn't happy.

For what it's worth I moved there from Montana where I was quite happy. The U.P. made Helena, MT look like Manhattan.

(With the exceptions of Marquette and Houghton. I could have lasted a few more years in either of those locations but that's not where we were relocated)

Old 07-01-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post

155 inches of snow means a good winter for most Yoopers that enjoy winter sports and being out on the trails. The real Snow Belt region is the Keweenaw Peninsula that usually averages over 300 inches a season. The record snowiest winter there was 1978-79 with around 450 inches.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:35 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
There were some guys that moved to the Soo that were on here. Not sure if they still check on CD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan