Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetro View Post
No, Livonia is 96% white, not 80%. And you should consider the fact that Livonia's protests for the Wal-Mart may not be completely based on race. I know that I wouldn't want ghetto trash from Detroit coming into my nice, clean suburb, possibly comitting crimes. This is why most people don't want Detroiters coming to the Wal-Mart: not because they're mostly black, but because a lot of them are lowlifes and/or criminals. Not all, but a lot.
How would you describe "ghetto trash from Detroit" look like so that all those people in the nice clean suburb can recognize them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 03:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
From what I could learn, the Livonia protests on Walmart WERE based on race, but they were made by two or three loudmouth idiots at a city council meeting. The press got hold of it and went crazy.

What city does not have two or three loudmouthed bigoted idiots?

Normally you ignore them. However in this instance the press empowered them. The press did mot damage than the bigoted loudmouth idiots.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:18 PM

27 posts, read 97,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Not sure about Livonia. I have read quotes it is 80% white. I know some residents protested the building of a Walmart because they didn't like Walmart's clientele (I guess Blacks shop at Walmart? [shrug]) Also Livonia opted out of the public transportation system... maybe to discourage people who do not have own transportation (poor) from coming into Livonia.

I live in Redford, next door to Livonia. HIGH taxes, but great schools. I have never had any overt racism that I was aware of, but I really don't look for incidents... if people gape at me and my husband (mixed couple), I don't notice because I am looking in the direction that I am walking, not looking around to see who is looking at me. and I haven't ran across someone who is such a jerk to actually say something inflammatory to me or my husband
We used to live in the sub behind the old Wonderland mall in Livonia (the new Walmart site). For the majority of residents (those directly affected) the fight was about the store operating 24 hours a day and the impact of that traffic on the neighborhood. It had nothing to do with race for us and many of our neighbors. Just consider how you'd feel if a 24 hour supercenter of any kind popped up in your back yard.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 PM

I am so happy to encounter someone who actually looks int he direction that they are walking! hooray for you!. Too many people walk, drive, push a cart, ride a bike etc etc while looking off to the side or behind them. It makes me crazy.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabetm View Post
We used to live in the sub behind the old Wonderland mall in Livonia (the new Walmart site). For the majority of residents (those directly affected) the fight was about the store operating 24 hours a day and the impact of that traffic on the neighborhood. It had nothing to do with race for us and many of our neighbors. Just consider how you'd feel if a 24 hour supercenter of any kind popped up in your back yard.
Actually,
I can sympathize with the residents. I personally would feel the same way.

However, on the other hand, the walmart store was at the former Wonderland Mall. It is not like there wasn't a major retail business there before. If a quiet neighborhood was desired, I don't think you should buy a house adjacent to a mall.

And for the record, Walmart is NOT open 24 hours per day.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:13 PM

27 posts, read 97,054 times
Quote:
Actually,

However, on the other hand, the walmart store was at the former Wonderland Mall. It is not like there wasn't a major retail business there before. If a quiet neighborhood was desired, I don't think you should buy a house adjacent to a mall.

Walmart intended to operate 24 hours at that location but scaled back hours due to our groups efforts. Walmart was never on the Wonderland site. Are you familiar with the area? It was formerly located on Middlebelt and 96. Yes, the mall was operating previously but nothing 24 hours a day.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:54 PM

Good work. I know what it is like to have to fight like that to protect your area. We had to do that when we lived in California. We lost but we held up the project for six years and got some concessions. Congratulations on your usccess.

When I was a kid I lived near you. (West Chicago and Hathaway).
There was a traffic problem then. 24 hour wallmart traffic would make it intolerable.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabetm View Post
Walmart intended to operate 24 hours at that location but scaled back hours due to our groups efforts. Walmart was never on the Wonderland site. Are you familiar with the area? It was formerly located on Middlebelt and 96. Yes, the mall was operating previously but nothing 24 hours a day.
I don't think we are talking about the same Walmart. You are talking about the old Walmart store that is now closed.

I am talking about the new Walmart superstore located at Middlebelt and Plymouth road which IS the former Wonderland Mall.
THIS is the store that had the residents protesting about the proposed new Walmart about 18 months ago.

I am very familiar with this area... I live in REdford and shop in this area all the time.

Good for your neighborhood group for working together to prevent Walmart from operating 24 hours/day.

While I love the convenience of Meijers, it IS in a strictly commercial district.

Once again, I would hesitate from buying a home so close to such a big shopping district. These things are bound to happen.... I also would not buy on a busy street.

Last edited by kcam213; 01-12-2008 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,494 times
has anyone been to the wallmart?

Old 01-25-2008, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,494 times
Quote:
Actually,

the old mall was a mess in the end and it was very much smaller than the new shopping center so they dont even compare to one another
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan