Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM

15 posts, read 28,585 times

Advertisements

Last I heard, it was closed. I don't have a take on the quality of the hospital in Alpena, but I know my sister used to go there for dialysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiring2017 View Post
Last I heard, it was closed. I don't have a take on the quality of the hospital in Alpena, but I know my sister used to go there for dialysis.
It reopened minus the inpatient facilities. They have ER, lab, imaging, etc. If you need any more than that you should head over to Petoskey. I've been in the medical field for 15 years in 3 different states and have never heard as many negative things said about a place as I have about Alpena. This comes from the patients I serve who have been there and experienced it.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 AM

Thanks for that info. We may just look elsewhere. Seems that everyone we talk to says that no matter where they live in either the UP or northern lower, the hospital in Petoskey has to be a part of their medical experience due to the dearth of inpatient facilities elsewhere. I guess we either look there, resign ourselves to a 1+ hour drive or retire in a different state.

Much as I would like to live there, N. Mich just got two strikes in my book: the above medical situation and the fact that they changed their law in 2012 and made pensions taxable. i am beginning to see why so many of my relatives are moving south to Tennessee to retire - no tax on pensions and low property tax. Will have to investigate the medical situation there.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiring2017 View Post
Thanks for that info. We may just look elsewhere. Seems that everyone we talk to says that no matter where they live in either the UP or northern lower, the hospital in Petoskey has to be a part of their medical experience due to the dearth of inpatient facilities elsewhere. I guess we either look there, resign ourselves to a 1+ hour drive or retire in a different state.

Much as I would like to live there, N. Mich just got two strikes in my book: the above medical situation and the fact that they changed their law in 2012 and made pensions taxable. i am beginning to see why so many of my relatives are moving south to Tennessee to retire - no tax on pensions and low property tax. Will have to investigate the medical situation there.
Munson in Traverse City is a big hospital complex, and it's used by many here in the northern LP.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:52 PM

The wife and I just spent a week in a cottage on Long Lake near Alpena. We did lots of side trips around the various lakes and towns in the area including Mac City, Oscoda, Cheboygan and Rogers City. I have to say that Alpena gets my vote for a better place to live. The others suffered in terms of their public spending, amenities and general attitude. RC seems to be a company town that likes things just the way they are, and does not welcome newcomers or new directions. Cheboygan seems to welcome the tourist dollars but just doesn't have the necessary money to become Alpena. This seems a shame since they are the nexus of so many roads and the river traffic. Perhaps it is that Alpena is just the right distance to travel in order to feel "up north" whereas anything further north is too far.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM

635 posts, read 784,333 times
Default bored people

I can only guess from people wanting more excitement that they are young? Unemployment is high all over the country. Most towns/city's have the same box stores or fast food.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,933 times
all I can say about cheboygan is boycott that place hard. Nothing good ever comes out from cheboygan. Nothing but drama, crime and drugs. Horrible health professionals and schools.. Run fast away from this county!!

Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,734 times
Cheboygan is the most awsome location in Mich. The problem with Cheboygan is that it was cursed in it's early years that it would not prosper. Check it out because it really happened.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:35 PM

635 posts, read 784,333 times
That was a lot of reading about a lot of complaining. I can only say that the country has been in a recession for a while now and small towns have always been bad for jobs. It is why many leave for the big cities. The whole country is about the same,Except for the weather and scenery. There is a lot to be said for small towns and a slower pace of life. Most people i meet from MI.,Miss it.
As for the place being slow or boring,Life is what you make it. Get a hobby.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:30 PM

147 posts, read 226,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy 14 View Post
OK- I'm getting a little worried. After looking at 37 pages there is no mention- good or bad about Cheboygan. Does any one live there ? Do they have computers ? Where do the people who work in Cheboygan actually live ?

Anyone ,anyone - any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
there is nothing wrong with Cheboygan, it's mostly old farm houses, My daughter lives there with her family and we shop there if we have to go to Walmart. they have a really nice downtown with a lot of family activities during the summer. they have a wonderful park. there is nothing wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan