Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:49 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
While this is appalling, it is also very revealing. Notice that most of the folks that donated to him were folks from the suburbs that probably work for a living and earn a comfortable living. Most of the folks that wanted to leech off of him and possibly rob him are his jealous neighbors in the city of Detroit. Until this vicious hood mentality changes, the hood is never going to improve. These kinds of people think they deserve handouts and will never contribute anything to society or to the economy. Matter of fact, they are a drain on the economy. The guy that walked to work on the other hand should be commended. He deserved far better than what he got. In the glory days of the Big 3, blue collar workers made a fortune and this guy's wage was a joke in comparison. I'm not saying we need back to the other extreme (because it may have contributed to the inefficiency and bankruptcy of GM for example), but there needs to be some sort of compromise when it comes to compensation.
I do not think it is very revealing at all. Ok...the people who donated were from the suburbs....but what percent of people in the suburbs donated. Maybe .001%. Ok...so some of his neighbors in Detroit tried to target him. What percent of Detroit did that....another .001. Thus, how is that revealing anything other than the actual people who donated or who tried to get money from him? You cannot make a statement about the suburbs or the city from .001% sample.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 11:51 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
His situation is a reflection of reality in Detroit.

Detroit has become such an 'economic desert' that residents now commute up to four-hours each day just to find work | Daily Mail Online

Simply put, there are no jobs because those that are closer are already filled. If you check out McDonalds or Burger King, there are no openings within the city of Detroit. And if there are openings, then you bet that thousands are applying for them but the companies can only hire so many. Detroit has a jobs problem.
Well we know the region is very spread out. Alot of people in the city work in the suburbs, alot of the people who have high paying jobs in Detroit live in the suburbs. The rule is generally, try to find a place closer to work, and since Detroit has so many CBD, people are all over the damn region with no reason to live in the city, which is part of the problem.

BUT, let's be realistic about this. This is a 10 year thing that has been going on for such low pay. There are a hell of alot more jobs of all sorts, closer to his home than the far northern burbs. Someone actually researched this and said if he simply switched to 1st shift (I believe), he would be able to catch the SMART bus almost right where he works. If they wouldn't let him, there are manufacturing jobs (many pay higher than that) that he could be applying to, if not, jobs in other fields that hire right off the street. Either way, after 10 years he would have found something. There is no way in hell he has been trying to find a job closer to home for 10 years with his pay expectations. This is not a $30/hr job were talking about. Which brings me to the point that really pisses me off, the assh*les at his plant (yes I'm talking about Todd Wilson the plant manager at Schain mold & engineering, how can you sit there and watch an employee slowly kill himself for 10 years to please YOU? 10 years, 10 YEARS of perfect attendance DESPITE the fact that he has to go through all of this just to make it to work every weekday. After all of this time no raise (to help him fix/ buy a car), not a single thing but a pat on the back and "keep up the good work, keep making me more money boy ". While they're driving their expensive car home, this guys journey is just beginning. While they're chilling at a bar or restaurant, or watching some reality show with a nice cold drink in their hand and eating a nice home cooked meal, he is probably just now making it to Woodward. While they are winding down or having a good night sleep, he is getting ready for yet another journey to a land far far away. Shameful, absolutely pathetic. What makes it worse is that he has been aware for for a while and uses him as an example for other employees instead of helping this guy out, he goes bragging about it. I hope to God their competitors offer his loyal man a job with a much better wage.

But no, unions are the evil ones. The unions that would have protected this man from this kind of treatment. The unions from hell that would have made Schain mold & engineering pay this guy a decent wage for his outstanding loyalty so he could go out and buy another car and finally get more than 2 hours of sleep, OH THE HORROR!!! . Paying someone with 10 years of experience (at least) a decent wage? what am I thinking? this is America. This is WHAT IS WRONG with America. Oh how I wish more people would take a stand. But just like the unions, people who have enough balls to stand up for what's right are slowly fading away. More and more people are giving in and dancing to the employers tune just to get some of the leftover crumbs. Sad smfh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: