Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
The Flint suburbs are largely sad UAW enclaves; aging retirees, fast food & coney islands, uneducated, high poverty rates, terrible public schools, and provincial. The data I posted proves this. You live in one of them and you're defensive.
I will defend Flint and its surrounding areas against anyone slandering them. People claim it is a terrible, horrible place and it is anything but. You can quote statistics all day long. Oakland County has always been 'wealthy' and that is not changing anytime soon. Until 25-30 years ago, people in Genesee County didn't need to go to college to earn a decent wage. Then the shops closed. You can't fix that overnight.

I've lived in a town with an AGI of over $100,000 where over 50% of the population had at least a bachelor's degree. I left this very desired town and came back to the Flint suburbs. It was sterile and rush hour was a nightmare since everyone commuted. I'd rather live in a town with a great sense of community and no traffic. You can have your statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:09 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
If the OP's husband does get a firm offer, they should both spend a long weekend driving through the area and visiting some of the surrounding towns.

It's a lot easier to live in Michigan with a good job: there's plenty of fun get-aways. I certainly miss camping around the Thumb, watching those long, lingering sunsets.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:10 PM

49 posts, read 59,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I will defend Flint and its surrounding areas against anyone slandering them. People claim it is a terrible, horrible place and it is anything but. You can quote statistics all day long. Oakland County has always been 'wealthy' and that is not changing anytime soon. Until 25-30 years ago, people in Genesee County didn't need to go to college to earn a decent wage. Then the shops closed. You can't fix that overnight.

I've lived in a town with an AGI of over $100,000 where over 50% of the population had at least a bachelor's degree. I left this very desired town and came back to the Flint suburbs. It was sterile and rush hour was a nightmare since everyone commuted. I'd rather live in a town with a great sense of community and no traffic. You can have your statistics.
I don't think slander means what you think it means.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:28 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
Fenton Twp, Linden, Argentine Twp are the only options for Genesee County in 2015. I would never, ever advise investing in a home located west, east or north of Flint. Further, I don't like the direction Grand Blanc is heading, either.

I know plenty of physicians that commute to Flint or Grand Blanc from Clarkston and Rochester Hills, which are in northern Oakland County. In my view, those are much wiser investments.
However, physicians are NOT known for their wise investments!

Old 05-28-2015, 05:45 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Flint's downtown experiences renaissance

Old 05-28-2015, 02:07 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
It is especially evident now that warmer weather is here. For those wanting to see how much it has changed, I would recommend to anyone to go to 6:00/7:00 dinner at The Cork or Blackstone's on a Friday night in the summer and then enjoy the art walk after. There is an art walk every Friday night through the summer. Galleries are open, street vendors set up, and it is a great atmosphere.
Of course, other events are fun, too, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
You know what? I'm actually pretty curious, I'm going to have to make a day trip up there to Flint. I want to check it out.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:17 PM

301 posts, read 1,327,393 times
How are other areas of Flint faring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan