U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 11,540 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering, are there many mixed couples/children in MI. ? I was born in Battle Creek, and would like to go back to MI but I have mixed children and would like to know if people find it to be welcoming of mixed race couples & children?

Thank you for any help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,857,327 times
I don't think there's too many.
I've heard that Detroit and surrounding suburbs are heavily segregated.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:00 PM

754 posts, read 2,101,514 times
There were plenty in Ann Arbor when I was growing up--enough to be noticeable, anyway. I had two friends from interracial families in the mostly white neighborhood where I grew up. I don't think they had too many problems, but very rarely I would hear someone (usually a black female, incidentally) make an offensive comment. But I would bet that Ann Arbor is more hospitable to interracial families than most places in the US.

I think I've seen a couple of interracial couples in the Muskegon area, where I now live, and I'm sure I've seen mixed children in the grocery store with their mothers, but I'm less sure about attitudes here. The Muskegon area as a whole is diverse, but at the neighborhood level people don't seem to mix much. I heard about a recent case where a black teenage male was threatened at work by the father of the white girl he was dating.

On the whole, I don't think Michigan would be any worse than any place else, but there may be a lot of variation from one Michigan community to the next.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:08 PM

31 posts, read 85,528 times
Move where you want to, don't let racism stop you. Isn't this supposed to be the "Land of the Free"?

Old 01-13-2008, 04:32 PM

3,658 posts, read 3,754,595 times
I would guess that the 2 major University towns of Ann Arbor and East Lansing would be quite welcoming. I would also guess that Royal Oak north of Detroit, as well as the wealthy area of Palmer Woods inside Detroit at its northern border near Woodward McNichols (6 Mile) and 7 Mile Road would have a similar atmosphere. I know East Lansing, Ann Arbor and Royal Oak are extremely gay friendly so it would follow (at least to my logic) that they would also be very tolerant and open to mixed couples/children.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:58 PM

29,497 posts, read 71,286,449 times
There are a few mixed families here and there. We live in a mostly white area, but the mixed couples here do not seem to get a lot of flack. There may be an occasional comment or stare but it is generally not tolerated. I have not heard anyone say that it is intolerable and they want to move away. It probably depends on where you live. Howell was once the national headquarters of the KKK. Now it is more sophisticated, but there are probably still some od bigots aruond there who would say mean things.

Different people from battle Creek will probably tell you different things. It probably depends on where in the city (or any city) you live and whom you happen to encounter.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:37 PM

61,395 posts, read 52,625,485 times
Divasmakeithappen, I am going to be very honest. Racial prejudice and racism can't be avoided in Michigan. Michigan's history can speak wonder's. Michigan isn't the only place one can run into racial prejudice. The fact is that it exists in Michigan. As for a mixed race couple with their child, I do know that Derek Jeter grew up nearby in Kalamazoo and he is half black and half white. I don't know what his experiences are. I wouldn't let it stop you from giving Battle Creek a try.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 PM

69,811 posts, read 96,614,942 times
If you move back to Michigan, I would say that Ann Arbor, Southfield, Lansing, Kalamazoo and maybe Grand Rapids. Some small, rural towns like Covert or Baldwin might be fine in that regard too. Not sure about Battle Creek, but I wouldn't think it would be a big deal there. Out of all of the places I named, Ann Arbor would be the best pick, in my opinion.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:08 PM

21,093 posts, read 26,358,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divasmakeithappn View Post
I was just wondering, are there many mixed couples/children in MI. ? I was born in Battle Creek, and would like to go back to MI but I have mixed children and would like to know if people find it to be welcoming of mixed race couples & children?

Thank you for any help!

In Michigan? huh...do "they" really interact with "them"?

Well if'n I recall, there was once a man and a woman, they married and folks sed it was one of dem dar'e mixed weddin's...a man and a woman...yep..mixed alright...

What year are we living in? PLEASE...even within the most racially divided area of the country (DETROIT METRO) there are marriages, relationships and even a few FRIENDSHIPS (not counting L. Brooks and the Detroit City Council)

Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,531,082 times
Detroit and surrounds used to be incredibly segregated, but that is really changing now. Even here in Livingston County, which used to be the seat of the KKK in this state, you are starting to see significant numbers of mixed children and good-sized numbers of minority families. Last time I went to the Detroit Zoo there were more interracial families than not -- it was so different from when I was a kid! MAJOR improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan