Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times

Advertisements

You cannot beat today!

Beautiful clear sunshiny weather unseasonably warm. Clear blue skies with big puffy clouds.

Beautiful heavy snowstorm.

Payfully fun heavy wind.

We had it all today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 PM

12 posts, read 44,761 times
A positive comment about Michigan? Though it's crammed with tourists, I still enjoy a weekend trip to Makinaw Island in the summer.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Here are a couple of positive news items (besides having a week of sunny weather):

Michigan foreclosures decline by 7%
by The Associated Press
Wednesday February 27, 2008, 11:00 AM

DETROIT -- New data suggests home foreclosures in Michigan dropped 7 percent in January compared with a year ago.

Michigan now ranks 10th nationwide for foreclosure filings. That's according to figures released Tuesday by California-based RealtyTrac Inc. It ranked third in 2007.

Michigan Local & Small Business business – Economics & Finance business Articles - MLive.com

__________________________________________________ ___________

Grand Rapids sees 4th straight month of existing home sales increases (over last year)

The Grand Rapids Association of Realtors reports that sales of existing homes, including single-family homes, condominiums, and vacation homes rose to record levels in January 08. The association reported 996 sales in January, an 18.9% increase over this same period last year, and its strongest January sales report since 2002

http://www.mibiz.com/absolutenm/templates/inthenewstemplate.asp?articleid=13413&zoneid=25 (broken link)

Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 AM

31 posts, read 89,148 times
Made reservations to stay at Scott's Superior Inn, Ontonagon! WOOO HOOO! Getting a cabin right on Lake Superior. Can't wait till July! Gonna do some house-hunting.
Have a Happy St. Patty's Day and belated Happy St. Urho's Day!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,436 times
Default Looking forward to our Move to MI

OK, On the positive side, I just got what seems to be a great price for my new house. Hopefully it won't lose any more value. Everyone I've met so far has been so nice. Shopping is fantastic!!! Plenty of people shopping. Economy can't be too bad or those malls/shopping centers would be empty. Moving to Lake Orion where there are many beautiful lakes and parks all over. Since this is a positive thread I won't ask what's up with the unplowed streets???? lol

Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Drove from grand rapids to miami to denver and back home... I'll tell you what.. my trip really made me realize Michigan isn't so bad after all. I loved Miami and am moving there in the fall but just about every other state I passed through was completely unimpressive. Granted the weather in Michigan sucks, but its really not that bad of a place to raise your family if you can manage to find a nice job, which really isn't as hard to find as a lot of people on here make it sound. The cost of living is fairly low compared to many states.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,075,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYGAL View Post
OK, On the positive side, I just got what seems to be a great price for my new house. Hopefully it won't lose any more value. Everyone I've met so far has been so nice. Shopping is fantastic!!! Plenty of people shopping. Economy can't be too bad or those malls/shopping centers would be empty. Moving to Lake Orion where there are many beautiful lakes and parks all over. Since this is a positive thread I won't ask what's up with the unplowed streets???? lol
Can't tell you anything about your streets,don't know the area but welcome to Michigan. There is a lot to see and do here.Have fun,good luck!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 14,679 times
good luck is right you will need it in michigan LOL

Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,124 times
I went to Augusta, GA last year, and was SO glad to get back in Michigan! I don't understand all the negativity about this state. Ok, the economys bad....so what, not many places in the u.s. are great right now. Most people here do have jobs. Cold weather doesn't equal bad quality of life. Look at Canada, certain countries in Europe, with excellent quality of life, and it's cold there.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
I went to Augusta, GA last year, and was SO glad to get back in Michigan! I don't understand all the negativity about this state. Ok, the economys bad....so what, not many places in the u.s. are great right now. Most people here do have jobs. Cold weather doesn't equal bad quality of life. Look at Canada, certain countries in Europe, with excellent quality of life, and it's cold there.
In fact, pretty much all the best-paying jobs in Europe are in cold climates - UK, Scandinavia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, northern Italy, etc. The only exception might be Spain. Southern Italy, Greece, and the Balkans have terrible economies.

In North America, it's really only Atlanta, Phoenix, and the cities in CA and TX that have strong economies in warm climates. Out of these, only San Fran, Los Angeles, and Houston are major players. In cold areas, you have Boston, NY, DC, Chicago, and Toronto. For secondary players, you have Philadelphia, Montreal, Vancouver, Twin Cities, Seattle, Portland, St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Indy, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Denver - no contest comparing it to the economies of Phoenix, Miami, San Diego, Sacramento and Dallas. Charlotte, I don't really consider a warm or cold city. So get a shovel, grow a couple, and learn to live with snow if you want the best chance of landing a decent job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan