Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 11:28 AM

147 posts, read 226,302 times

Advertisements

if the money would actually go where they say it does maybe, but up here in Northern Michigan we have roads turning back to dirt and roads that are perfectly fine and they would rather put in new curbs on a road that doesn't need it then fix a really bad road and all they can say is, the road isn't traveled enough. I know at least 4 families that drive at least 3 times a day. the money doesn't go for the roads. so I say no on Prop 1. I would really like to know what they are using the money on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
Some roads where I live are so bad you have to come to a complete stop and creep over the open holes. I wish I felt that passing Prop 1 would fix all this. I fear it won't. I'm to the point I'll actually take alternate routes to get where I'm going. This must be causing a great amount of damage to people's vehicles. They'll put some tar over the holes or dirt in some places, but in a month or so it's back to where it was or new holes appear. Even stretches of highway that were redone a few years ago are already getting in bad shape again.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM

518 posts, read 868,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Any of the plan B's that come out of this if it fails will be a large increase in gas tax, that will be voted on by the legislature with no input from citizens. MDOT will get the money no matter how this all goes down. Although it might be $700 or $800 Million more a year instead of $1.2 billion.

Here's one plan B that they could go back to, called the Bolger plan:

Option B for roads? 'Bolger plan' returns in Michigan House, but former speaker backing Proposal 1 | MLive.com

$1.2 Billion more for roads without "raising taxes." The problem is it raises fuel taxes, and takes away sales tax on gasoline, and doesn't make it up anywhere. That's $1.2 Billion less a year for the school districts, which is a crushing decrease. There's very little political will to take that much away from schools to make roads better.

"On roads, as I saw my entire time in the Legislature, any time somebody put out a proposal, somebody else said there had to be a better plan," he said. "I think Proposal 1 is the last, best chance to fix our roads." - Jase Bolger, now term limited from the legislature
yes, they will raise the gas tax, but the money will go to fix the roads now, not pay off old debt. Speculation on the 7-800 million more. There is " HOLD HARMLESS clause " if schools got in trouble. 700 mil shortfall to schools if the sales tax dropped. out of a 56 billion budget looks manageable to me.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:38 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Why is it the schools are always threatened with reductions in funding? Let's take the money out of the welfare programs and leave the schools alone.

Jase should visit South Dakota and learn how other states fund road repair.
Because the sales tax is directly tied to the School Aid Fund, via our State constitution. If sales taxes are cut, it comes out of the School Aid Fund.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
yes, they will raise the gas tax, but the money will go to fix the roads now, not pay off old debt. Speculation on the 7-800 million more. There is " HOLD HARMLESS clause " if schools got in trouble. 700 mil shortfall to schools if the sales tax dropped. out of a 56 billion budget looks manageable to me.
How do you know that it won't go to pay off MDOT debt? There's nothing in the Bolger plan that guarantees that.

MDOT will be free to use the money however they see fit. Unless I'm missing something...

I say $700 - $800 Million because several of the plans last year only proposed this much of an increase.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
I received a letter in the mail from my employer today encouraging me to vote Yes on Proposal 1. Then it struck me!

This entire proposal is merely another tax shift away from corporations and onto the backs of consumers. My employer currently has to pay gas tax on the fuel used in company vehicles. This proposal will eliminate those taxes for both companies and citizens. The elimination of gas taxes will be off-set, and INCREASED, by increasing the State Sales Tax.

Corporations pay very little sales tax because the products they purchase are consumed in the manufacture/processing of these components into other products or services which are subject to Sales Tax.

This entire proposal is just a smoke screen to hide a tax shift away from a shared responsibility (fuel used by companies and citizens) to the sole responsibility of the average Joe and Jane. With a threat of school closings thrown in just to make people scared.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Because the sales tax is directly tied to the School Aid Fund, via our State constitution. If sales taxes are cut, it comes out of the School Aid Fund.

OK, then CHANGE the state constitution.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:50 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I received a letter in the mail from my employer today encouraging me to vote Yes on Proposal 1. Then it struck me!

This entire proposal is merely another tax shift away from corporations and onto the backs of consumers. My employer currently has to pay gas tax on the fuel used in company vehicles. This proposal will eliminate those taxes for both companies and citizens. The elimination of gas taxes will be off-set, and INCREASED, by increasing the State Sales Tax.

Corporations pay very little sales tax because the products they purchase are consumed in the manufacture/processing of these components into other products or services which are subject to Sales Tax.

This entire proposal is just a smoke screen to hide a tax shift away from a shared responsibility (fuel used by companies and citizens) to the sole responsibility of the average Joe and Jane. With a threat of school closings thrown in just to make people scared.
Well, that is incorrect. There will be no elimination of gas taxes.

Sales tax will go up to 7%. None of the sales tax will go towards roads.

The gas tax will ALSO GO UP to 41.7 cents per gallon (up from 19 cents), on top of the 18.4 cents per gallon federal tax on gasoline--for a total fuel tax of 60.1 cents per gallon on gasoline.

If your company uses diesel, the tax is going from 15 cents to 41.7 cents per gallon (nearly triple). The federal tax on diesel is 24.4 cents per gallon, so the total taxes would be 66.1 cents per gallon on diesel.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Well, that is incorrect. There will be no elimination of gas taxes.

The gas tax will ALSO GO UP to 41.7 cents per gallon (up from 19 cents), on top of the 18.4 cents per gallon federal tax on gasoline--for a total fuel tax of 60.1 cents per gallon on gasoline.

If your company uses diesel, the tax is going from 15 cents to 41.7 cents per gallon (nearly triple). The federal tax on diesel is 24.4 cents per gallon, so the total taxes would be 66.1 cents per gallon on diesel.

Major employers adding to the chorus of people and groups who think Proposal 1 is a good idea. Huh.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:49 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post

How much time did state politicians waste dreaming up this piece of legislative garbage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan