U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:21 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,154,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet32 View Post
I have a job offer in Albion and need to move to Michigan in the next week or two. I have looked into apartments in Jackson, Marshall and Battle Creek.

Any recommendations on which area is the best? I am not looking for a big social life, just a quiet, safe place to get off to a decent start.

Cheap would also be good - I have become worried after the primaries and hearing about the unemployment rate and high taxes. Should I even bother making the move?
Jackson is very rough...Battle Creek isn't much better...would definately avoid both. Marshall is a great little town.

Based on your last paragraph....'worried'...Everything you hear is true. The current job/economic situation in MI, and for the forseeable future is horrendous, to put it mildly. There is no hope for MI, it will not turn around. Just look at the primary...McCain tells the people what they need to hear THE AUTO INDUSTRY IS GONE MOVE ON, and his poll numbers drop and they vote for Romney who blows more smoke up MI's rear.

This is a vicious cycle the state has been stuck in for 30+years. They refuse to accept that manufacturing is gone and the state is never going to prosper until they move on. So the people reelect the same regurgetated politicians, who pander and get the votes. They continue to drive business away, raise taxes, decimate the infrastructure, and lose jobs. From 2006-2007 only TWO states LOST population...Rhode Island who lost around 3,000 people, and Michigan who lost 30,000 people...THAT IS THIRTY-THOUSAND...10 times the next closest state!
Unless you have some bizarre infatuation with the state, or some family/personal reason that trumps all common sense and desire to have a happy productive life...AVOID MI LIKE THE PLAGUE IT IS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:04 PM

219 posts, read 465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-bear View Post
The answer to the original question is easy. Move to Marshall. Deciding whether to love in either Jackson or BC is like asking yourself what would you rather get shot in the head with, a 12 guage or .44 mag. Either way you're toast.
Thats way over the top. Its not like innocent people are getting shot in BC or Jax.
When there are shootings, its gang-related. So my advice to her is to stay out of the gangs. People who mind their own business and live a quiet life, don't get shot.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:19 PM

19 posts, read 81,391 times
It cracks me up to hear people write "Jackson is rough" HAHA! I've lived here since I was 5 and I've never once had a problem with any sort of crime or violence (other than typical high school drama). I am a photographer and I frequently do "urban" sessions with families and children in downtown Jackson and have never ever felt threatened or scared to tote children throughout the alleys and streets of downtown for sessions. Its interesting to hear all these opinions... makes me wonder if these posters have ever lived IN Jackson, and if they did I'm assuming they lived in the "ghetto" off Francis. There's a specific area of Jackson that is known for being "rough" but for the most part, there are very few places in this town I'd be scared to walk through.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 17,872 times
After just an initial drive around the Battle Creek, Marshall and Jackson - I decided to move to Jackson. The other places looked run-down and sketchy to someone who knows nothing about the area.

Its been about 2 weeks and I think I am going to love it here. There is plenty to do, but not much of a night life from what I know of it so far.

Thanks for all the input - I know not to go exploring too much in Jackson until I know where the bad areas are.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:58 PM

316 posts, read 1,099,132 times
So your moving to Jackson based on apperance of a drive by, why not take into consideration a bit more some of the comments on Jackson? Do what you do, but I know I would if I didn't know the area. Marshall is by far the safest of the 3 areas. Battle Creek has the most to do. GA is correct on a lot of things, although having lived in Battle Creek I don't have the fear of it most folks do.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:45 AM

128 posts, read 582,232 times
you really don't have to worry about not exploring the bad areas. you'll be fine. i moved to jackson not knowing a soul 3 years ago and lived there for to, and i was ok.

try crazy cowboy for nightlife, they might have more now, but that's what i always tried.

good luck!

i went to albion college, hopefully you'll be able to meet some friends there as well!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:33 PM

13 posts, read 78,497 times
Well, good luck with your move to Jackson. I am new to the area, having lived in Battle Creek for just the past two years (former northeastern MI resident), and haven't had one encounter with any type of crime. Of course, there are the sketchier areas of the town, around northside/downtown BC, but I reside in Emmett Township (Pine Knoll to be exact, which you had mentioned in a previous post), and I haven't had any problems. I go jogging/biking around the area quite frequently, without any concern other than motor vehicles. The Linear Path/Bailey Park are great, and downtown entertainment, although somewhat limited, is fun. The city itself seems to be very spread out, but it is very driveable (traveling across town can be accomplished in less than 15 min). I have friends who reside just south of Jackson, and they don't seem to speak too highly of the area. But that is just their opinion. Everyone is their own person. Keep us posted on how things are working out for you.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 PM

689 posts, read 2,108,639 times
Default Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet32 View Post
After just an initial drive around the Battle Creek, Marshall and Jackson - I decided to move to Jackson. The other places looked run-down and sketchy to someone who knows nothing about the area.

Its been about 2 weeks and I think I am going to love it here. There is plenty to do, but not much of a night life from what I know of it so far.

Thanks for all the input - I know not to go exploring too much in Jackson until I know where the bad areas are.

After reading the previous posts leading up to your decision I can say that a lot of people haven't been in the Jackson area since it lost a great deal of manufacturing work. I lived in Jackson (no longer) and moved away to finish my graduate degree. It has a great deal of outdoor opportunities, but as you stated the night life is fairly dead. The positive thing, is that it is close to Ann Arbor, Detroit, and Lansing which offer more to do if your looking to get out of the house. One more note, you could probably qualify for a house for the price you pay for an apartment in Jackson, housing is quite cheap, but don't expect a return on your investment. If you have any more questions let me know

Cheers

Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 27,441 times
Default Well, I Happen to Like Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic073 View Post
It cracks me up to hear people write "Jackson is rough" HAHA! I've lived here since I was 5 and I've never once had a problem with any sort of crime or violence (other than typical high school drama). I am a photographer and I frequently do "urban" sessions with families and children in downtown Jackson and have never ever felt threatened or scared to tote children throughout the alleys and streets of downtown for sessions. Its interesting to hear all these opinions... makes me wonder if these posters have ever lived IN Jackson, and if they did I'm assuming they lived in the "ghetto" off Francis. There's a specific area of Jackson that is known for being "rough" but for the most part, there are very few places in this town I'd be scared to walk through.
You know, it's just more of the same lies and I agree, the poster has probably never lived here and thinks it's clever to misrepresent what it is like. Shame on you B-bear for being utterly irresponsible in what you say. Jackson is no Nirvana, but it doesn't cost you like Nirvana would either and there are some very nice people, neighborhoods and homes here. There are some great things happening here despite the economy and this absolutely kills the nay-sayers who for some reason can't stand to see something positive happen in this town.

I moved here three years ago from Texas, by choice, and I love it. I grew up in Ann Arbor, Jackson is no Ann Arbor and never will be as we don't have a gigantic public university sitting in our downtown (which brings an automatic large downtown population), but Jackson has many nice things. I love that for almost everything I need, I do not have to leave town (especially with gas prices what they are). I have spent time in many parts of town as well and never been accosted or anything like it.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:48 PM

689 posts, read 2,108,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonista View Post
You know, it's just more of the same lies and I agree, the poster has probably never lived here and thinks it's clever to misrepresent what it is like. Shame on you B-bear for being utterly irresponsible in what you say. Jackson is no Nirvana, but it doesn't cost you like Nirvana would either and there are some very nice people, neighborhoods and homes here. There are some great things happening here despite the economy and this absolutely kills the nay-sayers who for some reason can't stand to see something positive happen in this town.

I moved here three years ago from Texas, by choice, and I love it. I grew up in Ann Arbor, Jackson is no Ann Arbor and never will be as we don't have a gigantic public university sitting in our downtown (which brings an automatic large downtown population), but Jackson has many nice things. I love that for almost everything I need, I do not have to leave town (especially with gas prices what they are). I have spent time in many parts of town as well and never been accosted or anything like it.
Jackson is dead, and was dead the moment manufacturing began to outsource...you can glorify the small parks and the one bike trail that exist in the area, but what goes on behind the scenes makes Jackson a scary place. How can anybody say that it is a even "decent" place when the local government has done NOTHING to improve the quality of life for its residents? Even in times such as now, they pretend that business will come flocking to the area for what? House prices that have fallen faster than a rock, crime, drugs that run rampant (and yes, I know first hand of the substance abuse problem in Jackson..I worked at Washington way). Its not the people who see the truth that are "nay sayers" but are correct in saying so. Some of the highest teen pregnancy rates, teen STD rates, one of the highest Infant Death Mortality rate in the COUNTRY. This is a soft spot for me when someone defends something that is simply wrong. Ask any medical professional at Allegiance Health care about any situation pertaining to young adults and the facts are alarming. Jackson is hugely divided by those who work at 1 of 3 employers...the others must squander to find sub 10/hr jobs that feed 3. If you can't see the reality of that city by looking at the condition of 80% of its homes then your just denying reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan