Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 19,959 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Albion and need to move to Michigan in the next week or two. I have looked into apartments in Jackson, Marshall and Battle Creek.

Any recommendations on which area is the best? I am not looking for a big social life, just a quiet, safe place to get off to a decent start.

Cheap would also be good - I have become worried after the primaries and hearing about the unemployment rate and high taxes. Should I even bother making the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 11:39 AM

218 posts, read 507,789 times
Remember "cheap" apartments are usually dumps with loud neighbors. They are made with cheap materials which cause noise to come into your apt. from those around you. Spend more money if you can.

Marshall is the smallest of those towns. Its a great little town with a lot of town pride. And its the closest to Albion. But apt.selection isn't great. Battle Creek has a lot more to offer for shopping, apt. selections, nightlife, sports....its much bigger than Marshall.

Jackson is always ranked near the top of "worst places to live" So take that for what its worth.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:48 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
I used to live in Marshall (Off C drive South on 13 1/2 mile) and really liked the town. I know if you are looking for a place you sure can do worse that Marshall. It can be a bit trendy and spendy, but I have also seen tractors parked on main Street, so there is that nice mix that makes it such a nice pace to live. My Nephews went to the Marshall schools and they are both very well educated and had very little problems at the school. If you look out of town just a very little way there is a big drop in rent prices. It is a nice drive to Albion, and just about the right distance to "Leave home at home, and, work at work."

Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 9,631 times
I grew up in Jackson. It has it's good and bad areas - it's not all bad. It is definately the least expensive place I've lived and I never had any problems with crime. The main "bad neighborhoods" are just south of downtown / Michigan Ave. The last time I lived there was in 2001 and I lived in a place called the Oaks, it's over by Westwood Mall. At the time they were the nicest apartments we could find (about $620 for a 2 bedroom). The best part of living there is the price and it's a good size town so it has everything you could need.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 19,959 times
Thanks for the input!

I have been looking into the Polo Club in Marshall and Pine Knoll in Battle Creek - from what I know, two complete opposites.

It's tough because I don't want to sign anything over a 6-month lease since I am new to the whole state, let alone the area.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:54 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Oh I know where the Polo Club apartments are. Not a bad section of town at all. Next road to the North is Centennial Road and there used to be a good little drive-in burger joint right on the corner. Don't know if it is still there, because it has been a few years sense I was up that road. It is out of the town of Marshall just a bit, but was always a quiet section.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:51 PM

218 posts, read 507,789 times
There really isn't a "bad" section of Marshall. Polo apartments are located nicely on Michigan Ave. and is close to I-94 at exit 112.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:53 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,414 times
I wouldn't choose Jackson, there isn't anything to do. Marshall is not a "trendy" area, it is a small town with a zillion antique shops with a Hill Valley feel (from the movie back to the future.) It is expensive a bit for what it has to offer, and is very safe. Are you caucasion? It is primarily one white race in Marshall, and very conservative.
Pine Knoll is allright. I haven't heard very good things about the polo club though. In Marshall, try renting a historic house or something, you might be better off that way. My family lives mostly in Marshall, while I grew up in Richland and worked recently for a few years in Battle Creek. Now live out of state. At a time, I looked at both apartments and ultimately decided on neither one of them, and rented a house.
You mentioned quiet so I would point you to Marshall for the most part. Do not try Jackson. Possibly try Battle Creek if you want more to do with yourself.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:25 PM

34 posts, read 155,944 times
The answer to the original question is easy. Move to Marshall. Deciding whether to love in either Jackson or BC is like asking yourself what would you rather get shot in the head with, a 12 guage or .44 mag. Either way you're toast.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:42 PM

19 posts, read 88,260 times
Default About Jackson

I live in Jackson (grew up here) and while I'll agree with previous posters that there isn't a ton to do here, its not a horrible place to live. I've never had a problem with crime at all... I guess my "beef" with the town is that there are so many low income housing places (such as... new complexes built specifically for low income... like the Mechanic Street Lofts) and I know too many people who take advantage of government assistance. That and there are not a lot of kid places to take kids (like hands on museums etc). Granted, it'd be much nicer to live in Ann Arbor, Lansing or Grand Rapids, but the housing costs would be a lot higher. Jackson is pretty central to larger areas to go do things... just a half hour drive to Lansing or Ann Arbor.

There are quite a few really nice apartment complexes in Jackson. I have a good friend who has lived in two of the newer ones, and another friend who lived in another of the newer apartment complexes.
The first three are all newer (within the last 4 or so years) apartments. They're nice and spacious with open floorplans. I'm pretty sure they all offer as low as 3 month leases as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan