Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,140 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a family of four, I am a disabled veteran now homeschooling my sons, married now 13 years. We are in our mid 30's, and looking to relocate as we live in a "burb" of Austin, Texas. We are curious about the Oakland area and more specifically the Lake Orion area, and even more specifically Browning Drive area? We are talking with a resident of that area who is interested in doing a swap/trade for our home here in Round Rock. I have pulled up the area on Google maps, and it looks pretty nice. Voorheis Lake looks close, as do many rural areas a short drive to the North. Can anyone give us a good idea of the area. I am big on many "out doors" activities. I would like to be able to teach my sons the things I learned as a young man such as duck hunting, duck hunting, duck hunting, deer hunting, fishing and camping. Wildlife watching and for the sake of my wife not being totally isolated as she is more a city oriented person, myself being raised in Vermont...well need I say more. Any way's any information would be helpful. Yes I can look at the online demographics but these are only numbers, I guess I am looking for what the numbers cannot tell. Many thanks...
rfamily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 02:19 PM

22 posts, read 69,488 times
I don' know where browning drive is but I grew up in the village of lake orion and loved it . The schools are great my brother has kids that go there and love it . My family all live up there still . But I am not sure if you can duck hunt there but you could more up in lapeer county which is about a half an hour from there. They have a great fireworks display on the 4th of july with a carnival it's a great time . Also just check out places to hunt fish and camp in oakland county stay away from county parks there are to many police that visit them . The state parks are nice and a little cheaper . Hope that helps . And good luck to you guys .

Old 01-19-2008, 06:29 PM

106 posts, read 535,826 times
That's right near my subdivision, probably two miles away. The neighborhood, Keatington, is a well-maintained family oriented area. If you live in that neighborhood, you will have lake access, with a private beach (residents of the subdivision allowed only) on an all sports lake as well as a boat launch. Lake Orion/Orion Township is also an affluent, clean, very safe and friendly oriented community. The schools are nationally recognized, and I'm sure you'll love it. As far as outdoor activities go, you'll have the private lake, and also two large parks, Orion Oaks County Park and Bald Mountain State Recreation area, right nearby. They're both beautiful parks, and Bald Mountain even allows hunting and fishing. By the way, Bald Mountain will only be a 5-10 minute drive from your neighborhood. Orion Oaks is within walking distance, and it allows fishing, but not hunting. However, it's still a large, beautiful park, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Welcome to Lake Orion, and if you do decide to move here, you won't regret it. I also added links to the State and County parks in Lake Orion, just in case you're interested:

Bald Mountain Recreation Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Bald Mountain)
https://www.oakgov.com/parksrec/ppark/orion.html (Orion Oaks)
Bald Mountain Recreation Area - Lake Orion Beaches, Biking, Cabins & Cottages, Cross-Country Skiing, Fishing, Hiking & Backpacking, Hunting, Nature & Parks, Snowmobile - Pure Michigan Travel (Bald Mountain)

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 AM

9 posts, read 29,446 times
Lake Orion is a great area, and as a hunting and fishing enthusiast, I think you will like Michigan a lot. Fishing is great in Lake Orion, and hunting as well as other outdoors-type activities come in plenty "up north," which is basically just the northern part of Michigan.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:39 PM

18 posts, read 58,551 times
I agree with the above statements 100%.

As for your wife, the village of LO is building up, but its not big or even close to a city atmosphere. Rochester is nearby and larger, but thats the same situation. The only real city nearby is Pontiac and there's nothing to see there.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM

18 posts, read 58,551 times
If you mean that she doesn't want to be in a rural area, you're fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan