Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,972 times

Advertisements

Hello, After researching most of the morning I'm was happy to have stumbled accross this forum. I am in need of some advice if possible. Yesterday evening I while at work I was approached at the end of my work day. First they started out by explaineding my services were no longer needed and proceeded to explain it was because of an absence which occurred the previous wk. I had the proper documentation in regards to a note from my Docter. I am still very much in shock! I recently moved into our home. ( myself along w my son) I have decided to apply for unemployment. Which is something that is completly new to me. I have always worked through out the yrs. Suddenly I find myself with no way to pay my bills. I'm left with no other choice but to apply for unemployment. But I have concerns in doing so. I have already began the process. I'm struggling on how to go about answering some of the questions required in order to process the application. I'm in need of some advice if possible as far as how I should word everything regarding my termination. And because I was terminated thay want a full explanation of the situation. But in some of the past comments, I've read once they read you were terminated do to absence. They sometimes don't see a reason to look into it any further. And in some cases your application will then be denied. I'd like to know if there is a more appropriate way of wording it. Otherwise I'm afraid it will immediately come across as misconduct and be rejected. I'd like the chance to elaborate on the situation. Even if I only qualify for unemployment for a month while I am searching for umployment. That would be a tremendous help... TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:37 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
Have you been absence a lot? It sounds like they used that as an excuse to fire you...they could have given you some sort of warning instead of letting you go all together. I think you will qualify for unemployment. You can say you were unjustly terminated. If they deny you may have to appeal saying that you had an excused absence. Make sure you keep the doctors note for documentation. Keep your head up though, I was in the same situation and was not able to get unemployment. I did not give up and landed another job in no time. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,972 times
Thank you for responding. I really appreciate your advice. And kind words ☺ I had missed once before. Although it was months back. And I did however provide the proper documentation then as well. I agree with you, a warning would of been nice I mean my gosh. You know how it is our job is our lively hood! I'm sry things didn't work out for you with unemplyment. It's unfortunate that along with the embarrassment of being terminated. We find ourselves in a scary situation financially. It's just not right. But on the upside I'm happy to hear you have found another job! congratulations!! Here's to the next chapter in your life!! 😀 thank you again, I will keep ya updated

Old 05-29-2015, 12:05 PM

485 posts, read 966,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_D6 View Post
Thank you for responding. I really appreciate your advice. And kind words ☺ I had missed once before. Although it was months back. And I did however provide the proper documentation then as well. I agree with you, a warning would of been nice I mean my gosh. You know how it is our job is our lively hood! I'm sry things didn't work out for you with unemplyment. It's unfortunate that along with the embarrassment of being terminated. We find ourselves in a scary situation financially. It's just not right. But on the upside I'm happy to hear you have found another job! congratulations!! Here's to the next chapter in your life!! �� thank you again, I will keep ya updated
You may have to appeal an initial unemployment rejection but it's not often someone will ultimately not qualify for it. Not sure why they make it difficult but just how the system can be.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:45 PM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
  • What does the employee handbook say about absences?
  • 2 days off due to illness in a few months time is hardly grounds for firing, especially if you had a doctor's note.
  • How many employees at the company? I think the rules for firing are more in favor of the employer at small companies.
  • If you want the job back, write to the owner/president explaining your case in a non-confrontational manner and ask if they will reconsider.
  • If you don't want the job, consider filing a complaint. I'm not sure whom to (EEOC?), but you the unemployment office might know.
  • You might also consider calling one of those lawyers that advertise on TV and see if they think you have a case.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_D6 View Post
Hello, After researching most of the morning I'm was happy to have stumbled accross this forum. I am in need of some advice if possible. Yesterday evening I while at work I was approached at the end of my work day. First they started out by explaineding my services were no longer needed and proceeded to explain it was because of an absence which occurred the previous wk. I had the proper documentation in regards to a note from my Docter. I am still very much in shock! I recently moved into our home. ( myself along w my son) I have decided to apply for unemployment. Which is something that is completly new to me. I have always worked through out the yrs. Suddenly I find myself with no way to pay my bills. I'm left with no other choice but to apply for unemployment. But I have concerns in doing so. I have already began the process. I'm struggling on how to go about answering some of the questions required in order to process the application. I'm in need of some advice if possible as far as how I should word everything regarding my termination. And because I was terminated thay want a full explanation of the situation. But in some of the past comments, I've read once they read you were terminated do to absence. They sometimes don't see a reason to look into it any further. And in some cases your application will then be denied. I'd like to know if there is a more appropriate way of wording it. Otherwise I'm afraid it will immediately come across as misconduct and be rejected. I'd like the chance to elaborate on the situation. Even if I only qualify for unemployment for a month while I am searching for umployment. That would be a tremendous help... TIA
It is called AT-WILL employment for a reason--they can terminate you at-will, no reason needed.

Sounds like they wanted more from you than you were willing to do? So they made a "reason" and terminated employment.

Did they give you a letter that states cause for termination? If so, the only choice you have is to tell the whole story.

File and hope for the best. Right to work is a wonderful idea.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:40 PM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
That's not entirely true.

Michigan Wrongful Termination Laws | WrongfulTerminationLaws.com

Not sure if this applies in Jenny's case. It doesn't specifically address sick days, but it does address disabilities and FMLA.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 AM

78 posts, read 125,702 times
If you feel you qualify for unemployment but are denied, you will be given the option to dispute the denial. Dispute it. If the dispute is denied you will be given the option to dispute that. Dispute it and they will send your file to an attorney to review (they have attorneys to handle this, you do not have to find or pay for an attorney) and the attorney will conference w/you and determine if the denial was legal. If you have a valid claim to unemployment, at this stage you will be approved as they have to go w/the lawyers findings. This process will mean you have to fill out forms (paper or online) and will take time to get through, but if you really qualify for unemployment benefits, then it's worth the time and effort IMO. I think they make the process so difficult to save money since they know a large percentage of people will give up either because they don't want/have time to deal with it or don't know that they might win if they fight it. Even if during this long process you find a new job, you can still continue to fight for back unemployment pay for the time you were without work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan