Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:38 PM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,013,394 times

Advertisements

There is a certain "Badge of Honor" being a born & raised Michigander. Go to any large city (and many smaller ones), wearing your favorite Michigan's sports team T-shirt or hat. I was even "cornered" at a small town gas station in New Mexico while wearing my Tigers' cap.

I've worked with guys here in Phoenix that worked with guys that I know in Michigan. It's uncanny. Even if you don't know the same folks, Michiganders will always have something to talk about.

Ice fishing, deer season, and the all important question:

"When was the last time you played euchre?"

Most of my heritage has been sold off to developers and part time summer residents. My old stomping grounds are a fancy new subdivision, my grandparents' farms are long gone, and the family retreat on Lake Superior is a summer home inhabited by some rich folks from California.

I go back for the occasional funeral or wedding; can't say that I admire the "progress."

But, I digress. I s'pose that there might be a piece of land waiting for me to purchase (most likely in the U.P.), that is yearning to be tilled and ready for a deer stand to be put up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,769,847 times
We were just talking the other night about how big "Michigan Pride" has gotten (not the LGBT events), but Michigan Awesome, Love Michigan, M22, etc.. You just don't see a lot of people wearing necklaces in the shape of Indiana or Ohio. But Michigan? Holy cow everyone's got the Love Michigan shirts and necklaces on lately, and car stickers.

Not to mention the sports team paraphernalia (although Pittsburgh sports fans are pretty rabid and always wearing the colors).

Old 07-06-2015, 04:41 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
We were just talking the other night about how big "Michigan Pride" has gotten (not the LGBT events), but Michigan Awesome, Love Michigan, M22, etc.. You just don't see a lot of people wearing necklaces in the shape of Indiana or Ohio. But Michigan? Holy cow everyone's got the Love Michigan shirts and necklaces on lately, and car stickers.

Not to mention the sports team paraphernalia (although Pittsburgh sports fans are pretty rabid and always wearing the colors).
Not to be outdone by Packer Backers.

Sheesh. Half of the Yoopers I know are Green Bay fans. Maybe a Detroit Super Bowl win will change that.

Oh well. It doesn't really matter.

What's trump?

Old 07-11-2015, 06:39 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,059,857 times
Michigan, especially the Lake Superior coastline, is the most amazing place I've been outside of the Argentine Lake District. There really is something mystical about it. I enjoyed my time in Marquette too much, and the first thing I do when I return from Colorado is to take a roadtrip from Chicago to one of the beaches/rocks outside of Marquette.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:05 AM

128 posts, read 266,268 times
I also left Michigan for greener pastures to live in Illinois and also Wisconsin. Compared to Wisconsin especially I do miss Michigan immensely. There's just something about Wisconsin that is so Midwestern for me as a Michigander, and Michigan has never been very Midwestern to me. After extensive travel of the Midwest I usually like to think of Michigan as a little more backwards version of Minnesota. Both have stunning nature that is oriented toward the lakes. Wisconsin has this too, but there is just something about Wisconsin I can't shrug.

Anyway, I miss the Great Lakes immensely. I miss the forests of Michigan. The lack of agricultural land in Michigan was always a blessing to me as someone who loves the outdoors. Wisconsin and Illinois are agricultural powerhouses in ways that Michigan could never dream of, and the farmland really takes away from the unspoiled beauty and undeveloped wilderness.

Illinois lacks the water of Michigan, especially as I live in the vast and flat expanse of Central Illinois. I have the most trouble with the lack of the Great Lakes, or even nice solid bodies of water (Illinois has a few, but nothing compares).

I will say that there is one thing about Michigan, besides the politics, that I am happy to leave behind and that is oddly enough the isolation of the peninsula. Traveling from Michigan to almost anywhere else was always a pain as it first involved leaving the peninsula. This isn't much better where I live in Wisconsin but in Illinois one can go from state to state, from big city to big city, with ease. There's something rather appealing to me about living in the interior of the country. Of course, if isolation is your preference, then Michigan is perfect for you, especially the UP.

It's not as beautiful as the West, but yes, Michigan is a lovely state that I miss fondly.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:02 PM

128 posts, read 266,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Not to be outdone by Packer Backers.

Sheesh. Half of the Yoopers I know are Green Bay fans. Maybe a Detroit Super Bowl win will change that.

Oh well. It doesn't really matter.

What's trump?

[Sorry for double posting]

Wisconsin is absolutely crazy about the Packers. I live in prime Packers territory and I think there must be some law here that says you have to display at least 1 Packers sign in your yard and wear at least 3 Packers shirts per week. I mean, I grew up with the Lions so it's not a good comparison these days, but I have never seen such incredible support. Wisconites actually put their newborn children on the waiting list for season tickets.

I also heard, very negatively, that domestic abuse rises every time the Packers lose here.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:03 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,124,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktor77 View Post
I also left Michigan for greener pastures to live in Illinois and also Wisconsin. Compared to Wisconsin especially I do miss Michigan immensely. There's just something about Wisconsin that is so Midwestern for me as a Michigander, and Michigan has never been very Midwestern to me. After extensive travel of the Midwest I usually like to think of Michigan as a little more backwards version of Minnesota. Both have stunning nature that is oriented toward the lakes. Wisconsin has this too, but there is just something about Wisconsin I can't shrug.

Anyway, I miss the Great Lakes immensely. I miss the forests of Michigan. The lack of agricultural land in Michigan was always a blessing to me as someone who loves the outdoors. Wisconsin and Illinois are agricultural powerhouses in ways that Michigan could never dream of, and the farmland really takes away from the unspoiled beauty and undeveloped wilderness.

Illinois lacks the water of Michigan, especially as I live in the vast and flat expanse of Central Illinois. I have the most trouble with the lack of the Great Lakes, or even nice solid bodies of water (Illinois has a few, but nothing compares).

I will say that there is one thing about Michigan, besides the politics, that I am happy to leave behind and that is oddly enough the isolation of the peninsula. Traveling from Michigan to almost anywhere else was always a pain as it first involved leaving the peninsula. This isn't much better where I live in Wisconsin but in Illinois one can go from state to state, from big city to big city, with ease. There's something rather appealing to me about living in the interior of the country. Of course, if isolation is your preference, then Michigan is perfect for you, especially the UP.

It's not as beautiful as the West, but yes, Michigan is a lovely state that I miss fondly.
Your post was great. However, I think that Wisconsin is a pretty and decent state. However, Illinois is probably the most hideous unattractive place I have had the unfortunate opportunity to visit. Moline, Cairo, Galesberg, Peoria, Springfield, and Rockford....ah no thank you!!!!!!!!!

While we have the calamity called Detroit, we have a beautiful coastline with so many beautiful towns. Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids are developing into really nice urban centers and I think their futures are bright. Lansing needs more attention. Anyway, Michigan really needs to focus on cleaning up Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw and the state should build high speed trains connecting all of the metropolitan areas (which they have begun studies on.) I would love to see a high speed train from the UP to Detroit.

The funny thing is that Detroit is not so isolated from Canadian urban centers along the Windsor-Quebec corridor, and it is not too far from Cleveland, Chicago, Indianapolis, and Columbus. The problem is when you live further north.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:06 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,124,765 times
https://img1.etsystatic.com/051/0/67...86141_9e2z.jpg

Old 07-12-2015, 10:10 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,546,588 times
Michigan is a beautiful state! If the economy were better, I wouldn't have left; however, even now, there still are few jobs in my field.

All of my relatives have moved out. We all miss it to some extent, but the old saying is true: you can't eat scenery.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:19 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktor77 View Post
[Sorry for double posting]

Wisconsin is absolutely crazy about the Packers. I live in prime Packers territory and I think there must be some law here that says you have to display at least 1 Packers sign in your yard and wear at least 3 Packers shirts per week. I mean, I grew up with the Lions so it's not a good comparison these days, but I have never seen such incredible support. Wisconites actually put their newborn children on the waiting list for season tickets.

I also heard, very negatively, that domestic abuse rises every time the Packers lose here.
Kinda like when the Red Wings get knocked out of the playoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan