Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:32 AM

189 posts, read 219,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
The idea is to keep illegal aliens from getting licenses. I think there will be exceptions for those here as legal aliens.

Most states also prohibit illegals from getting licenses, I think Michigan was only one of seven or eight states that had no laws to prevent illegals from getting licenses.
For almost 30 years, I renewed my Mich Driver license, no problems.
THEN when I was transferred to KY 4 years ago, it was a new experience for me. Took 3 trips to the county clerk to come up with acceptable citizenship/ birth/ place of residence documentation to verify I was not a terrorist, I guess. Ditto same experience just to to rent a Post Office box, and to open a bank account.
"Homeland Security" conjures images we used to see in school of all those border guards at Berlin Wall and at Iron Curtain border crossings during the 'Cold War'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
All this does is prevent illegal aliens from getting licenses. How is that a bad thing?

Apparently, it also prevents legal aliens who are not here on a permanent basis from getting a Michigan license. But if you are not here on a permanent basis why do you want a Michigan license? Foreigners visiting temporarily can drive on an international permit based on your license in your home country.

There will be some unintended consequences that they never thought of. they cannot predict every potential problem that may arise. they will eventually get it sorted out, but it will take some time, just like any law there will be some examples of unfair enforcement until they get the necessary exceptions resolved.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:24 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Bob View Post
From what was originally posted, I read that people who are legal aliens (ie those on the H1-B visa, int. students, etc) won't be able to get drivers licences. This doesn't really make sense.

For those who are illegal (ie not meant to be there in the first place), would you bother getting a license in the first place?
Yes, of course they'd love to get a driver's license. They can't drive without one (for fear if they get pulled over for an infraction they would be deported).

It's hardly hostile to foreigners. Most cities in Michigan have pretty comprehensive bus systems.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,937 times
It's hardly hostile to foreigners. Most cities in Michigan have pretty comprehensive bus systems.

It is hostile to illegals however, and that's just fine with me!

Last edited by Rapunzll; 01-24-2008 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Messed up the quote!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 AM

40 posts, read 83,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post

It is hostile to illegals however, and that's just fine with me!

If it is not hostile to legal foreigners, legal foreigners should be eligible for driver license. In this case,legal foreigners and illegal immigrants are treated in the same way.

Yes,it's fine with you.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 AM

40 posts, read 83,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
All this does is prevent illegal aliens from getting licenses. How is that a bad thing?

Apparently, it also prevents legal aliens who are not here on a permanent basis from getting a Michigan license. But if you are not here on a permanent basis why do you want a Michigan license? Foreigners visiting temporarily can drive on an international permit based on your license in your home country.
What if you are a foreign Ph.D student who plans to stay in Michigan for 5 years?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I think that you need to get some sort of permanent resident alien status for that. Then you wild qualify for a license. If you are not going to change residency, then use an international permit. Just get it renewed each year.

Actually, you would probably be going to U-M Ann Arbor and are better off without a car there.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:35 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcore View Post
You cannot even get a driver license unless you are a U.S citizen or permanent resident. International students,visiting scholars or alines working on H1-B visa will not be eligible for a driver license anymore.

This new policy can help Michigan become a state with least number of foreigners probably.
Quote:
Michigan doesn't welcome aliens. Unless you can get green card right after you move to Michigan,you'd better try somewhere else.
Quote:
If it is not hostile to legal foreigners, legal foreigners should be eligible for driver license. In this case,legal foreigners and illegal immigrants are treated in the same way.

Yes,it's fine with you.
Should we just send the illegals over to New York for your state to license them? Oh yeah that's right, New York has even stricter laws governing the issuance of Drivers Licenses than Michigan does now. What did you do, pick a topic and try to stir up an argument?

Quote:
What if you are a foreign Ph.D student who plans to stay in Michigan for 5 years?
Then you should be smart enough to have your paperwork in order. Just as you should in every case, no matter where you are going.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 16,729 times
"This new policy can help Michigan become a state with least number of foreigners probably."

Yep, great idea, and what is more important, quite in time. These legal foreigners (holding H1B, O1 visas):
- mostly imployed as contractors in IT sector by big 3;
- buy american cars;
- pay taxes to Michigan;
- own homes (what an impudency!);
So, with the help of our smart Michigan government this move will greatly improve Michigan economy:
- make big 3 even more insolvent and force even greater outsorsing of jobs oversea;
- reduce consumption of amercian cars locally;
- will trigger Michigan future tax increases;
- and (the most important) will cause future reduction of the home prices as local home market will be flooded with the homes left by these foreigners. Maybe Michigan governement in the future finally will start to give houses away for free, or even more important, pay high insensitives on the top of free houses? That would be nice.

I would recommend to extend this move and also exclude any non-Michigan born US citizen to exclude any flow of the people from outside.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:48 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
It's funny when people get all charged up and don't actually read the article.

Two bills are before the Legislature to allow the Secretary of State to grant driver's licenses to aliens who have legally issued work permits or to foreign students attending Michigan schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan