Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 24,443 times

Advertisements

We are a large, conservative homeschooling family recently retired from the military, recently moved from Interior Alaska, looking to move to the UP permanently. We miss the laid-back, casual way of life in Alaska, but not the -40 temps or the extreme cost of living. We are trying to decide between Iron Mountain and Marquette. We don't care about shopping or the latest fashion or new cars or nightlife. We just want to be in, and build a community of good, simple people. My boys love hunting and fishing and chopping wood and riding 4-wheelers. All of my children live being outside, and we all miss the snow and mild summers of Alaska. The roads in Alaska in the winter left a lot to be desired, however, and we'd like to know how IM and MQT do with THEIR roads. We want land to live on so we won't be right in town so we're concerned about that.
I realize I've been a tad bit ramble-y......... bottom line, reading a little about us, which would you think.......Iron Mountain or Marquette for the best fit???
Can't wait to read your responses..... And thank you ahead of time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 06:07 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,707 times
The Marquette area is pretty liberal, and Iron Mountain is pretty conservative. Iron Mountain is more isolated than Marquette, I feel like you'd be a better fit for Iron Mountain.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,496 times
You might want to post this in the Wisconsin forum also as people in Wisconsin seem to know more about those cities than people in Metro Detroit or in the Grand Rapids Triplex. Have you thought about the tip of the UP Copper Harbor or Houghton/Hancock....I have no idea about these places but I'm just listing other cities up there.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:34 AM

11 posts, read 24,443 times
Thanks for the tips/info. I've read a few places that, while the UP votes Democratic, they live conservatively, and their philosophies are conservative. Can anyone expound on this or verify its truth??

Old 07-23-2015, 09:03 AM
chh

420 posts, read 652,707 times

This map (red is Democrat and blue is Republican) was what each municipality voted in the 2012 election, most of the UP is republican except the area around Marquette and Ironwood. It's mostly conservative.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:21 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,473 times
There's also Iron River near the Iron Mtn area. It's a cute, small town where you can do your shopping and then quickly escape to the countryside. Around the WI/MI border there is very rural and gorgeous. If you want super-rural you can look at Bruce Crossing, also in the Western UP. They have the best IGA there called the Settlers Co-op settlerscoop.com . I love that place, they have everything!!!

I would move up there in an instant if there was some way for me to make a living. The UP is completely unique from anything I've experienced in the lower 48. Good luck!!!!

Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,353 times
Marquette is the more liberal, but that includes a pretty strong support for homeschooling. If you are looking for a more socially conservative locale, Iron Mountain is the place. Marquette continues to grow into a pretty funky, quirky place. Iron Mountain has certainly seen better times, but a lot of people are working really hard to keep it vibrant. The Iron Mtn are has a traditional, land-that-time-forgot vibe. Both areas have a ski hill. And good food! One of my favorite nuggets of info is the Norway City Band has been operating since 1882. They're pretty good in a parade, too!

The surroundings in both areas are beautiful. I love living on the big lake, but the Iron Mountain area has some beautiful areas (Piers Gorge on the Menominee River comes to mind!)

Oh, and the best fried chicken I've ever had is at a bar called the Longbranch in Faithorn, about half an hour away from Iron Mtn.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
Too bad either it is so far from any military base. Not that bases provide a great deal the way they used to but commissary, gym, kids programs etc. I think if I had a family I'd be trying to find a place near a base. At least a couple of hours.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:58 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,325 times
Marquette gets a bit colder during the winter than Iron Mountain does, being right on Superior and all- we were there on the 4th of July, and I had to have a sweat jacket on, it was quite chilly- I think Iron Mountain would work well for your family, considering what it is that you are looking for- Marquette is awesome, but Iron Mountain has more of the outdoors/fishing/chopping wood/4-wheeling that you are looking for. And the people here are absolutely wonderful. Have to tell you though, we had loads of wayyyy below zero temps last winter- I work with someone who is originally from Alaska, and she told me that there are a lot of times that it's colder here than it was there- jussst saying! lol-

Old 07-26-2015, 07:45 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
She has another thread that makes it look like she has decided on Marquette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan