Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:05 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times

Advertisements

Hamtramck is 1st American city to elect majority Muslim council | News - Home

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 11-09-2015 at 06:16 AM..

Old 11-09-2015, 06:59 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Great news for immigrants and the welcoming nature of Detroit!

I wonder if we have a city yet in Michigan that has a majority Christian or majority Jewish city council?

Glad most people find that not a defining factor when it comes to candidates.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post

I wonder if we have a city yet in Michigan that has a majority Christian or majority Jewish city council?

Ok, now thats out of the way...

For those from Hamtramck it is significant in the way the area has changed. My post wasn't meant to excite the "YOU'RE BEING RACIST, SEXIST, AGEIST....whatever". But, I figured I'd get blasted. Maybe stop looking for something that isn't there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamtramck,_Michigan

It is changing and has changed over the years. Personally, I'm tired of having to watch what I say because of what someone else thinks I might be saying. Stop trying to attach labels to me that do not exist in my intent with the original post.

Whoops, there is already a thread about this that has turned into a "you're enterlabelhere" thing. Apologies. I've reported myself so maybe a mod can move this whole thing over there.

Life goes on...

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 11-09-2015 at 08:11 AM..

Old 11-09-2015, 09:05 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:

Oak Park is has 4 council members and 2 are Jewish and 2 are African American. Not quite a majority either way, but pretty good representation of the city.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:01 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
I was wondering if this news will get on this forum. The online debates/comments I have read so far have been heated discussion. Many of the debates came from "fear of Muslim" taking over USA. If people realize Hamtramck is a hole in the wall compare due to its size, that Hamtramck is located in the middle of Detroit and that its very easy to "take over" this small town. That Hamtramck has always been a city of immigrant & has exchanged "hands" from one group of immigrants to another. That Hamtramck does not represent "average cities". That having majority in Hamtramck does not mean this will happen in Warren or Detroit or any surrounding city NEXT. The only reason Muslim were elected is because that is majority of the current population of this city.

Many of the negative discussion rose from older Polish who remember Hamtramck as their "little Poland" and are frustrated at the change. But that is life & that is the nature of this city. One group of immigrants enter this city, create their own community, thrive & get to middle class status, then they move to the suburb. At that point another group of immigrant take over and make it their home. Hamtramck is an ever revolving door. Most families don't stay here more than a generation or 2. It is not fair to expect a city to cater to a communities needs when the younger generation has moved away from this city.

We also have to remember 4 Muslim councilmen were not elected in one go & all 4 Muslims are not from the same country nor do they represent same group of people. The city already had 3 Muslims in past. Only new person elected is the Yemeni guy. The city council did not have any Yemeni representative, the last guy died middle of his term earlier this year.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:11 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
It is changing and has changed over the years. Personally, I'm tired of having to watch what I say because of what someone else thinks I might be saying. Stop trying to attach labels to me that do not exist in my intent with the original post.

Life goes on...
That's the thing, the city HAS BEEN changing for decades now. The city council is just catching up with the population change. This reason why I don't think it is news worthy or worth the type of attention people are giving.

I don't think there is anything offensive about uploading this link or making this post. Its Metro Detroit news

Old 11-09-2015, 10:21 AM

I took no offense to the OP.

There was nothing more than a link posted - so I wasn't sure what the purpose of the post was so I replied to ensure it didn't become a trolling thread.

Cities absolutely change. Detroit was a French city 300 years ago. Then it became an Italian city. And German. And African American. Maybe in 50 years it will be a Hondurian or Syrian city. Change happens every day. The calendar goes from the present to the past and the future inhabitants dictate what any city will become. Don't resist change - make it meaningful.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:30 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
Yeah - I really didn't think it was a big deal - considering there are a lot of Muslims living there.

It makes sense that they'd be a majority on city council.

Geez.....

Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I took no offense to the OP.

There was nothing more than a link posted - so I wasn't sure what the purpose of the post was so I replied to ensure it didn't become a trolling thread.

Cities absolutely change. Detroit was a French city 300 years ago. Then it became an Italian city. And German. And African American. Maybe in 50 years it will be a Hondurian or Syrian city. Change happens every day. The calendar goes from the present to the past and the future inhabitants dictate what any city will become. Don't resist change - make it meaningful.

There was no "purpose" to the post other than I found the information and I thought it was interesting for personal reasons. If there was an intent, that was it. I don't know how anyone can "ensure" anything on this forum other than moderators.

What you wrote is interesting....can you link where Hamtramck was an Italian city, and an African American city? I like reading historical articles in regards to Hamtramck.

Whatever the change may be I'm sure people talked about it while it was happening.

From my own perspective I think a lot of the tension came with the call to prayer. This, I learned about, from people living there. I know if I worked nights and had to listen to that I'd make an issue out of it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oksdM00OSFo

Hamtramck was the "little Poland", rich with the Polish heritage. When a city is changing and the entire culture of that city is changing along with it...people will respond one way or another. It's natural, isn't it?

What I'm picking up lately from the forums is some things are suppose to be off limits. One of those subjects is about Muslims. There are going to be extreme comments I'm sure but being gagged isn't an option.

Anyway...I'm better off not typing and going back to my latest project...painting the garage. I think I bit off a bit more than I can chew...again.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:35 PM

I was talking about Detroit, not Hamtramck, being founded by the French and now AA. No idea on the ethnic ancestry of Hamtramck. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan