Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 09:09 AM

622 posts, read 2,709,033 times

Advertisements

Well it seems there is a divide between:

1) people who want to leave Michigan because they believe the economy is so bad and
2) people who stay because they believe that the quality of life here is worth it.

What's your take?

There's no mistaking which side I'm on... I don't love Michigan because it's a 'super fast growing', 'tons of jobs' state, I love it because of the quality of life. Theres still plenty of reason to want to live here, but of course it's important to be realistic about the economy as well (however, I just want to make clear that I love Northern Michigan. I hated my time in Southeast Michigan/Detroit because I feel like the whole "sprawl" thing is getting out of hand there... but if certain steps were made, it could turn around and be a great place).

I have seen this "growth vs. quality of life" issue occur in other states (namely Oregon). I believe many Americans are waking up to discover that "growth" doesn't necessarily equal a good thing, as we have been taught in the past. Though it does mean more money for an area, it can also mean: soulless suburbs, crowding, an "each man for himself" culture rather than a real community, pollution, and a general low quality of life.

I believe many people like myself, though we are not yet the majority, are seeking a high quality of life over economy, jobs, so-called "growth." We choose to live in places many wouldn't... like Northern Michigan. When it comes to relocating, I have in the past chosen economy/jobs over everything... and I've learned my lesson the hard way. I don't care how much money I make and what a great job I have, if I'm not happy there, then what's the point!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 23,862 times
Default My view

Mariatherese

Let me give you my take on Quality of Life vs. Economy. First let me give you some background. I have lived in Michigan all my life. I was married about 13 years ago and we have 3 kids almost 12, 10 and eight. In the past few years it is getting harder and harder too manage on two incomes. My wife doesn't make allot but if helps. With the cost of health insurance, taxes and the kids always saying they are hungry all the time we are barely making ends meet. In the future we will move out of state for a better quality of life. Yes it will be working for less money but if the quality is better it will be worth it. Sorry to vent but I needed to get this off my chest.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:57 PM

That's fine! Vent away. You make a very good point... our situations are just different, that's all. I don't have any kids to provide for.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:08 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,145 times
As i get older, i'm realizing Michigan is a great state to live in from a quality standpoint. The country is beautiful in Michigan, the smaller communities are close-knit. The schools are better. Crime is generally lower. I'd take a pay cut to move farther north now that my "country-skills" are sharpening!

There are jobs in the country, normally the kinds city folk normally don't want to do.

The smaller cities/villages (at least in parts of the Thumb area) are growing despite city folks claim the whole state is in shambles.

I have to say though, the city way of life in Michigan is in general decline.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:57 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,008 times
Who doesn't love Northern Michigan?? I haven't found a place that compares. I will be moving there in a few years, after I'm done with Minneapolis.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
The smaller cities/villages (at least in parts of the Thumb area) are growing despite city folks claim the whole state is in shambles.

I have to say though, the city way of life in Michigan is in general decline.
You said it much better than I could. I agree 110%

Old 11-18-2006, 05:30 AM

250 posts, read 932,858 times
Michigan is beautiful! I especially love Macinaw Island. The grand hotel is exquisite. The great lakes are pretty and a trip on a boat makes a nice little get-a-way. But that's about all Michigan has to offer, IMO. I do not live in Northern Michigan. In fact I live right, smack dab in the midst of the surburban sprawl: Macomb County. (actually that's where I grew up, and now I live right on the outskirts of Macomb county which is mostly still country) IF there were jobs here, I would love to settle in Armada or Richmond. These towns are so quaint and have great apple orchards for fall apple pickin'. I do like it here... sometimes. But lately the burdon of trying to pay the bills outweighs everything else. And trust me, we don't have much. It's not like I own a mercedes and am complaining that I can't afford a fur coat or something. My roof has been leaking for 2 years now and it's getting really bad. It makes me sad! My husband and I both work ( I just went back to work as I just had a baby) and even with my income we are having trouble. Another thing is that I have been going to school now for a very long time and have yet to obtain a degree. The problem? I need to work full time and have not yet been able to take 2 years off to finish nursing school. Because it really takes 2 incomes to survive; we have 3 children. Yeah, yeah I know, we shouldn't have 3 kids if we can't afford it. Well at one time we could. DH had a great job, but he was permenantly laid off. Since then, we have had problems financially. We will probably become part of the handful that leave this state!

Old 11-18-2006, 05:49 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,632 times
I spent 25 years of my life living in Michigan. I have never found anything to be "beautiful" and I don't see what the great quality of life is here. I've never found it. I've lived in other places for 10 years and they are far better!

Old 11-18-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
...Another thing is that I have been going to school now for a very long time and have yet to obtain a degree. The problem? I need to work full time and have not yet been able to take 2 years off to finish nursing school. Because it really takes 2 incomes to survive...(
I have had this problem as well! It has been a struggle for me to get my degree, I finally had to quit due to financial reasons. It is tough! I hope things do turn around for you.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 9,674 times
Default deb in florida

My husband and I are originally from Michigan. We moved to Florida about 7 years ago. I am not complaining about our move here. We are very thankful to be here and love the great weather. At the time we moved to Florida it was cheaper to buy a house and the taxes were cheap. However, growth has changed all of that. Many people are moving back to Michigan or other parts of the United States because it is cheaper to live there. I am not just talking about retired people on fixed incomes. We have a daughter that just moved to Tennesee because her and her husband couldn't afford a house nor the property taxes here. They considered moving to Michigan, but didn't because her husband is originally from Tennesee. We have lost many a friend to other States as well. So if you really think it is better somewhere else, think again!! Not only are we dealing with the property tax issues, but double the insurance rates because of hurricane katrina. Mix that up with all of the illegal imigrants down here that don't have to pay taxes and you can clearly see why alot of people are reconsidering moving back to Michigan. What I am trying to say is the grass isn't always greener somewhere else. And then try to find a job down here that pays anything at all. Plus there are no unions here. Bosses can pretty much tell you to hit the front door for any reason they can come up with! Michigan has taken some pretty hard hits because of the auto industry, but the economy is not any better elsewhere. We are sitting here in the South with many homes on freeze just like Michigan. People came down here and went build crazy and now as in Michigan houses are just sitting! Welcome to Paradise! This is the price you pay to be here! Do your homework before you consider a move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan