Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 06:26 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The city if Detroit is as flat as it gets.
Maybe the city proper, but the northwestern suburbs are full of small lakes and rolling hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 06:35 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Maybe the city proper, but the northwestern suburbs are full of small lakes and rolling hills.
Well yeah, the city of Chicago is the same way: flat as a pancake. Back in the early 1900's when Midwestern cities took off like wildfire, they didn't carve most neighborhoods into the hills, they leveled everything, lakes, streams, forests, westlands, etc and built cities in giant grids. That's why so many cities like Detroit and Chicago have underground canals that were flowing rivers 100's of years ago.

Plus Detroit and Chicago are in the low lying flatlands of the Great Lakes that were probably part of the lakes at one time millions of years ago. Same with the Northern Ohio/Toledo area and Northern Indiana.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:37 AM

I actually liked the parts of Ohio I have been to. We used to go to Toledo back in the 80s for something different to do on the weekends sometimes, and it really reminded me of Detroit, just smaller.

Columbus is a great, white collar city with a pretty good gay scene and interesting neighbourhoods, I was pretty surprised by what I saw there.

Cincinnati is also very cool and I love the area with its rolling hills and the Ohio River with Kentucky on the other side.

Unfortunately I haven't been to Cleveland, but hear good things are happening there, much like in Detroit.

I hear the southeastern part of Ohio is very beautiful, with rolling hills and lots of forested lands in the Appalachian foothills.

Overall. I have a fairly positive view of the state, for the most part.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Well yeah, the city of Chicago is the same way: flat as a pancake. Back in the early 1900's when Midwestern cities took off like wildfire, they didn't carve most neighborhoods into the hills, they leveled everything, lakes, streams, forests, westlands, etc and built cities in giant grids. That's why so many cities like Detroit and Chicago have underground canals that were flowing rivers 100's of years ago.

Plus Detroit and Chicago are in the low lying flatlands of the Great Lakes that were probably part of the lakes at one time millions of years ago. Same with the Northern Ohio/Toledo area and Northern Indiana.
Detroit is hilly compared to Windsor, lol.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post

However, having driven through a city like Cinci on the way to Florida, it seems like a really cool city to spend some time in. Too bad it's such a far drive.
Far? Many people from Detroit drive "up north" every weekend in the summer. For many, that is a 4+ hour drive each way.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:26 AM

Cincinatti is only a 4 1/2 hour drive from Windsor, not really that far.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:35 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Butt ugliness of UP and most of MI, except maybe Grand Rapids area doesnt compare with rolling hills beauty of Ohio. What is MI, it is flatlands between the lakes where even trees no longer want to grow. When I lived in MI, I based my opinion of OH on I-75 corridor. OHio is so much more than that. Taken as a package even flat lands of Ohio are beautiful. Climate beats MI too. I just feel good in Ohio, as a package it is soothing and homey, and it is run better than MI. No snobby, for no good reason, MI crap is just a bonus.

1) Michigan has 11,037 inland lakes (totaling 1,305 square miles of inland water.) (Ohio has 110 inland lakes over 5 acres, 10% of Michigan) No point in Michigan is more than six miles from an inland lake or more than 85 miles from one of the Great Lakes.

2) Michigan has 3,126 miles of Great Lakes shoreline (OHIO HAS 312 Miles..again 10% of Michigan)

3) Michigan has 19,000,000 acres of forest (Ohio has 8,000,000 acres)

Old 12-03-2015, 09:52 AM

88 posts, read 94,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
1) Michigan has 11,037 inland lakes (totaling 1,305 square miles of inland water.) (Ohio has 110 inland lakes over 5 acres, 10% of Michigan) No point in Michigan is more than six miles from an inland lake or more than 85 miles from one of the Great Lakes.

2) Michigan has 3,126 miles of Great Lakes shoreline (OHIO HAS 312 Miles..again 10% of Michigan)

3) Michigan has 19,000,000 acres of forest (Ohio has 8,000,000 acres)
That's quantity not quality but nice facts though

Old 12-03-2015, 10:02 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF575 View Post
That's quantity not quality but nice facts though
The quality speaks for itself. There are some nice photos posted in this forum so you can see the quality.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:07 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Some things for Wolverines to check out about Ohio: superior zoos (many in Detroit and southeast MI visit the Toledo Zoo); superior cultural amenities (Cleveland alone surpasses Detroit with the Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Orchestra and Severance Hall, Playhouse Square, and Blossom Music Center); Cuyahoga Valley National Park; Ohio Amish Country; Dayton aviation history attractions; Hocking Hills (ranked by Fodor's as one of the best state parks in the U.S. and perhaps the most romantic area of Ohio); and The Wilds.

Cleveland: Day Trips - TripAdvisor

Cleveland: Tips for Visiting Cleveland - TripAdvisor

Dayton: Aviation History Mecca of the World - TripAdvisor

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...unced/9331483/

Many Wolverines are aware of Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world, and the Lake Erie islands (Put-in-Bay). BTW, Michigan contributed to the construction of Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial at Put-in-Bay. The Battle of Lake Erie forced the British from Detroit in the War of 1812 and secured Michigan and much of then Northwest Territory as part of the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry&...Peace_Memorial

I don't know if Michigan has anything like the great Metro (county) park systems in Ohio, such as Cleveland's Emerald Necklace. The almost century-old Metroparks systems in Ohio were one of the state's best ideas, preserving great wild areas in urban areas. I didn't see anything like Cleveland's Metroparks when visiting Detroit, but perhaps I missed them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Metroparks

Ohio's Metroparks are tremendous assets, often the focus of prime residential neighborhoods.

I greatly enjoy Michigan, and I'm well aware of its great physical beauty and attractions such as The Henry Ford, but I think a lot of Wolverines know little about Ohio, and ditto for Buckeyes about Michigan.

As for natural resources, perhaps check out the Utica Shale oil and oil natural gas region in eastern Ohio, which is just in its infancy.

United States - Rankings - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

United States - Rankings - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Last edited by WRnative; 12-03-2015 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan