Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 02:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
I grew up in Ann Arbor, and I knew many SE Michigan kids who enjoyed visits to Cedar Point. Some would go on to work there as teens or college students. But now I live in the Muskegon area, and Michigan's Adventure is a lot closer. I've never been to either, so I can't say which is better.
I've never been to Michigan's Adventure, but I doubt it's as fun as Cedar Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 02:47 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
In Cincinnati?
Of course not. Cinci is only a small part of I-75. Once you get north of Cinci, the terrain stays pretty flat. I-75 through Detroit is flat, though once to get north of 696, it starts to change a little and then really gets varied north of M-59. The terrain doesn't really flatten out again until you're near Flint. It doesn't get hilly again (as well as more forested) until you're about 30 miles north of Bay City.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:37 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Ohio has more Bigfoots.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:28 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Most people I know who visit Chicago do so to go bar hopping.

Chicago's 2 big attractions are the Museum of Science & Industry and the Shedd Aquarium. Cincinnati's 2 big attractions are the museums at Union Terminal and the Newport Aquarium. I call it a draw.
You're kidding, right?

Chicago's the 3rd largest city in the country. It has way more attractions than the two institutions you mentioned. Theaters, museums, the riverfront, the lakefront, some of the tallest buildings in the country.

I mean, seriously. You should tell the people you know to experience Chicago, not just Rush Street or Wrigleyville.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I've never been to Michigan's Adventure, but I doubt it's as fun as Cedar Point.
They're worlds apart, even though they're owned by the same company. To fully experience Cedar Point you could really spend a couple of days there. Michigan's Adventure you can ride every ride 3x in one afternoon.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Yea, Detroit has metroparks.
Huron-Clinton Metroparks. Southeast Michigan Parks

Superior cultural amenities? subjective but I don't think so. Ohio has some great things but I don't think it's superior at all.
The Henry Ford which is the largest indoor/outdoor museum in the country
The African American history museum which I believe is also the largest of it's type
Motown music which is recognized world wide
Detroit has it's own symphony orchestra
Eastern market is a great place
Mexicantown for Latinos and Dearborn for middle eastern's, talk about culture
Not to mention one of the largest black populations and cultural offerings for blacks in America
The largest island park in America (Belle Isle)
Detroit has one of the largest theater districts in America
4 pro sports teams not to mention UofM
A huge music scene
Plenty of events, live music, concerts, ect
Great food scene
Great architecture
Great shopping of all sorts, especially the upscale Somerset Mall
I'll just stop right here. And this is just Detroit alone, I haven't even mentioned other cities in Michigan like Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Traverse City, Mackinaw Island, Lansing, Ann Arbor, ect.
Yeah, Michigan has plenty of great cultural offerings. And in fact, we see alot of Ohio plates at our Michigan attractions.

Why do Michiganders get all defensive and braggy when someone says something about how great Ohio is?

I have been all over both states and there are good points (or great) of interest in both.

Maybe the slaying Ohio State dropped on them are still fresh on their minds. Might be the fact that the wolverines have to put up with all their terrible Michigan drivers.

OH-IO

Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Why do Michiganders get all defensive and braggy when someone says something about how great Ohio is?

I have been all over both states and there are good points (or great) of interest in both.

Maybe the slaying Ohio State dropped on them are still fresh on their minds. Might be the fact that the wolverines have to put up with all their terrible Michigan drivers.

OH-IO
People in Michigan would have no reason to not want Ohio to be great. Michiganders, while they go on car trips to Chicago and Toronto, would love to be able visit other vibrant urban areas in close proximity. I am sure that all Michiganders hope that Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati become dynamic urban centers as they are all within a 4 hour drive from the bulk of Michigan's population. We are all rooting for Cleveland's redevelopment.

But, this is not meant as a put down, but there will never come a day when Michiganders would think of traveling to Ohio for its geographic attributes - they would stay in Michigan for that or go out West or down South. But to visit Ohio for its urban centers - yes, why not? But, to go see Ohio's Lake Erie shoreline, the Hocking Hills, Cleveland's Metroparks, or Put-in-Bay- I highly doubt it.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:

OH-IO
Uhhhh, whatevs. Don't forget that Michigan has two teams in the Big 10.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:13 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:

OH-IO
It wasn't Ohio I had the problem with. It was this statement the poster I replied to made
Quote:
superior cultural amenities (Cleveland alone surpasses Detroit with the Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Orchestra and Severance Hall, Playhouse Square, and Blossom Music Center); Cuyahoga Valley National Park; Ohio Amish Country; Dayton aviation history attractions; Hocking Hills (ranked by Fodor's as one of the best state parks in the U.S. and perhaps the most romantic area of Ohio); and The Wilds.
I wasn't letting that one fly. And I didn't even bring up the metroparks or national parks or scenery or beaches, ect. I want Ohio, Michigan, and the entire great lakes region to be prosperous and succeed and reach it's fullest potential.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:51 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
I will say, I did a weekend trip to Put-In-Bay when I was 21 or 22 in college with a group of buddies, and it was a good time. You certainly can't get that experience anywhere in Michigan. It's nicknamed the Key West of Ohio for a reason.
At that time in my life - the bar and bachelor/bachelorette party experience we had there was a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan