Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 05:31 PM

194 posts, read 246,383 times

Advertisements

So... anyone notice that it's really hard to find quality singles in their 20's? I live in mid-Michigan, and it's like in public, it's almost only kids, highschoolers, and middle-aged and old people around :[

I did go to SVSU for 2 years and nothing...

Does anyone have any advice for a single females (aged 20) looking for men no younger than them; or should I just give up here and look in some other state?

I have gone to plentyoffish in the mid-Michigan area and all I found were these "country boys" which are NOT my type, and single parents, which I would never consider since I don't even want children of my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 06:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
So... anyone notice that it's really hard to find quality singles in their 20's? I live in mid-Michigan, and it's like in public, it's almost only kids, highschoolers, and middle-aged and old people around :[

Does anyone have any advice for a single females (aged 20) looking for men no younger than them; or should I just give up here and look in some other state?

I have gone to plentyoffish in the mid-Michigan area and all I found were these "country boys" which are NOT my type, and single parents, which I would never consider since I don't even want children of my own.
If you're looking for guys that are more in the "professional" realm and not "country boys" you probably have to move to a larger metro area: Detroit area, Ann Arbor, Lansing or Grand Rapids. Those guys tend to cluster where there are a lot of service-related jobs (and where there are a cluster of professional people to date).

Old 12-20-2015, 09:38 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
I had the same trouble in my 20s. I never wanted kids of my own and didn't want to date men who had kids. This factor narrows the pool down a lot. I don't have an answer for you, but I don't think it's a Michigan problem. I think every state has areas where it's harder for people to meet others. Moving to a more metro area is good advice. Some people seem able to meet all kinds of potential partners just by walking out their front door. Others have a very difficult time even when they go to clubs, groups, church, single's events, volunteering at various gatherings, etc. Good luck to you!

Old 12-20-2015, 04:14 PM

447 posts, read 496,166 times
Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Detroit and Lansing are all good choices.
Do not forget Kalamazoo. Average age is 26 and they are the only city Michigan to make Buzzfeed's list of 29 cities for 20 somethings. (they came in at #14)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinfrye/twe...ies#.ruE1YLz3Y

Old 12-20-2015, 04:38 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
All you meet is country boys? Do you live in the country or a small town? As others have said that might be your problem. Like any other state, most professionals are in larger cities where the jobs are. Most people I know want families so that might make it a little harder for you.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:31 PM

104 posts, read 95,991 times
I agree all I see are the Michigan Militia types, beer guts, camouflage hunters NRA's types.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:00 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Finding someone is difficult regardless of where you live but if you are looking at online dating, why not extend your search to entire MI. It will be bit long distance but its driving distance. If you find someone you can connect with, you can move then or vice verse

Old 12-28-2015, 12:19 PM

181 posts, read 206,034 times
There are more or less dating opportunities depending on the population density. As others have said, in SE Michigan you would have better luck there's more people per square mile. Online dating is popular with 20-30 age group and it would be worth continuing that.

One thing I think you would have problems with is not wanting children. Midwestern culture for the most part, is strong in any part of Michigan even in the more liberal cities. There is a child free group on Meetup.com that is based in SE Michigan, if you want to look into that. I would be patient because it might take some time to find a guy that accepts that you do not want children.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:09 PM

235 posts, read 536,455 times
Quote:

If you are religious, go to church or visit others with friends.

Ask friends if they know single guys and if so, invite both of you over for a dinner (with other people so it's not weird).

Get involved with a cause that you care about and see who you meet there.

And there's always the internet. I met my husband online, but not in the online dating way. I have heard of some success stories with match.com's (or is it eharmony?) free trial.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,058 times
Quote:

wow, you sound just like me! I went to svsu for 4 years. dated around but never really found anyone great. dabbled in online dating but like you said... country boys and single dads. no kids for me either!

there is a small cluster of artsy/alternative types who hang out downtown near the red eye cafe and places along that block. That's honestly where I made the most friends.

Anyway, I ended up meeting a dude on a vinyl record forum. I moved to columbus ohio to be with him, and we've been dating for 3 years. so yeah, while I never had any luck with michigan guys, hopefully you will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan