Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,684 times

Advertisements

Hey all my wife will be a third year medical student at Henry Ford. We are coming in March to look for a house to rent, but not moving until August. We have two small dogs which have always given us a challange when trying to find a rental house. Looking for a house with fenced in yard. Any suggestions on who I can look to for help when I come in March? Also I will be looking for a job. I currently work for US Cellular as a Sales Manager and have been with the company for the past 6 years. Any ideas out there? We moved from IA to MO. So coming to MI will not be a big shocker to us but might be a little colder. I appreciate any feedback or help.

Thanks,
Bj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 03:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Wyandotte is a neat city. There are some really nice houses along the waterfront park that come up for rent from time to time. quite a few newer condos were built just before the recession. I also know somone who wants to rent a house very close to Henry Ford. she was a waitress at our favorite resturuant, but it closed. If I can find her, I will post the information here.

Finally, our Realtor for downriver was Bonnie Adams from Carol Bollo Assts. She is very nice and knowledgeable and did a great job for us. If she does not do rental placements, she will put you in touch with someone who can.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM

189 posts, read 219,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Wyandotte is a neat city. There are some really nice houses along the waterfront park that come up for rent from time to time. quite a few newer condos were built just before the recession. I also know somone who wants to rent a house very close to Henry Ford. she was a waitress at our favorite resturuant, but it closed. If I can find her, I will post the information here.

Finally, our Realtor for downriver was Bonnie Adams from Carol Bollo Assts. She is very nice and knowledgeable and did a great job for us. If she does not do rental placements, she will put you in touch with someone who can.
Too Funny. I was counting to 10 after seeing the thread, SURE to see a plug for Grosse Ile. (Nothin against your town, no argument a desirable locale)
R/E Wyandotte- They'll find most houses have fenced yards. Small lots of course, being an older town. Definitely an interesting and safe town.
Rentals should be a little easier to find, in the current housin market slump.
Good call on the Realtor- I agree. Carol Bollo is the most knowlegeable in the Wyandotte/Grosse Ile area. My daughter worked for them until moving to west coast last year. (She also lived in Wyandotte, loved it there)

Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 AM

We actually like Wyandotte a great deal. We looked there real seriously, until we learned about their schools. However for young people where schools are not a concern, Wyandotte is a great place. Working at H.F. Hospital I could not imagine why anyone would live anywhere else. Some of those homes and condos that face onto the park along the river are super. Not much yard, but there is a whole park right there. Wyandotte is a lively town with some night life (that is where we go for date night), and a pretty neat art fair in the summer. They also have a really neat dress store that my wife and daughters love. It is pleasant just to go walk through the business district and look in the windows then get some food and sit in the park on the water for lunch. They really need a Coldstone ice cream parlor though. Strohs just does not draw our kids like Coldstone does (no birthday cake ice cream).

I really like the City owning a power plant as well. This is important to us coming from California where the rates got jacked up over night followed by rolling blackouts, the only City in our area that avoided that crises was Anaheim because they had their own power plant.

G.I.'s advantages are quiet, great schools, family oriented woods/wildlife and an active community. For people looking to raise a family in the Detroit area, I am not sure that there is a better place in Michigan, especially if you like water. However there is not much that would appeal to people under 30 unless they are into wildlife, fishing, boating, or just desperate for quiet. Wyandotte has a lot more to offer younger people. besides anyone living in G.I. and working at H.F. would probably take the toll bridge. $2 a day adds up.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 AM

One thing that the OP needs to know (probably does), the emergency room at H.F. Wyandotte can be a really crazy place. I have never experienced anything like it and I will never go there again (I hope). They get patients from River Rouge, Ecorse and I think even Detroit. If you work in the emergency room, it will be exciting (unless the times I was there were unusual exceptions).
If you are squeamish or timid, do not work nights in the ER.

By the way, I will bet that your daughter will be back, do not despair. When we moved to CA I was the most anti-Michigan person on the planet. After the palm trees lose their magic and start looking like telephone poles, you start to realize how much prettier Michigan is than most places, plus family has a strong draw.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 AM

For work if you mean that you work at a cellular store, try the place next to Panerra in Woodhaven near Home Depot. There is a radio shack that sells AT & T and some other brand and next door another cellular place (Sprint I think) that is the only cellular store that I am aware of, but there must be others, they seem to pop up everywhere. There must be one or more at or near Southland mall. The job market is pretty competitive no matter what you do.

good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:50 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthathighway View Post
Too Funny. I was counting to 10 after seeing the thread, SURE to see a plug for Grosse Ile. (Nothin against your town, no argument a desirable locale)
I was thinking the same thing. There could be a post that goes, "Have fear of water, family and work in Troy, looking for most desirable neighborhood, etc." and the Grosse Ile plug will come along before long...

Old 02-05-2008, 05:44 PM

Thank you all so much. I will be contacting that realtor and seeing what I can do. If you all know anyone else who can help me in the rental market I would appreciate it. I'm not looking to buy my wife will be a 3rd year medical student and we may only be in Wyandotte for 2 years. I'm so glad to hear all the positive things about the community. Does anyone know of possible openings on police departments in or near Wyandotte? While I have been in the cellular industry for about 6 years my passion is law enforcement. I have a degree in criminal justice. I just stumbled upon a great career and now have to leave for my wife to finish school. I appreciate all your help and look forward to seeing Wyandotte next month.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM

Probably lots of openings in Detroit. Wear a vest.

If you find a police job in Grosse Ile, bring a deck of cards.

There are so many towns close to Wyandotte, there must be something somewhere. Most are pretty nice too.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Ha Detroit not really what I was thinking Thanks for the input I will check into the surrounding communites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan