Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,362 times

Advertisements

Did any one read the AP report that suicide was up in Michigan, due tothe high rate of foreclosures and low employment rates, people losing their businesses.
According to the report it said that Michigan was in the top 5 states where suicide was jumping.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Killing yourself over losing a home or Job? That is really sad and makes no sense. At some time in the past, every homeowner was not a homeowner. At some time int he past everyone had no job. Why is going back to that time so awful that someone just cannot live? It is hard to figure out whether to pity these people or be disgusted wththeir cowardice. Maybe both.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:55 AM

32 posts, read 79,573 times
"COLD" jensens
Disgusted with their cowardice???
I don't understand that thought at all. People deal with things in many different ways. Why does someone kill their wife or girl friend because of a pregnancy??? What makes someone walk into a public place and shoot others???
Many things I don't understand, but it's a sad day when someone is pushed against the wall so bad that they feel the only answer is suicide.
Foreclosures and job loss are only the beginning, with financial hardship, domestic disputes can rise - divorce can occur, families are broken.
Some of these people are losing everything they worked for along with many of the things they hold close to their heart..
Have some compassion - NOT disgust.
There is a lot more to it.
That's just my opinion and you can keep yours.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike231 View Post
"COLD" jensens
Disgusted with their cowardice???
I don't understand that thought at all. People deal with things in many different ways. Why does someone kill their wife or girl friend because of a pregnancy??? What makes someone walk into a public place and shoot others???
Many things I don't understand, but it's a sad day when someone is pushed against the wall so bad that they feel the only answer is suicide.
Foreclosures and job loss are only the beginning, with financial hardship, domestic disputes can rise - divorce can occur, families are broken.
Some of these people are losing everything they worked for along with many of the things they hold close to their heart..
Have some compassion - NOT disgust.
There is a lot more to it.
That's just my opinion and you can keep yours.
You have compassion for people who do mass shootings, kill their pregnant girlfriends, or kill themselves, leaving family members left to pick up the pieces and the guilt of wondering what the hell happened?

Please. Cowardice of the highest order.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Killing yourself over losing a home or Job? That is really sad and makes no sense. At some time in the past, every homeowner was not a homeowner. At some time int he past everyone had no job. Why is going back to that time so awful that someone just cannot live? It is hard to figure out whether to pity these people or be disgusted wththeir cowardice. Maybe both.
What if it means having to face a life of homelessness, chronic unemployment, starvation, humiliation, divorce, loss of children, extraordinary mental anguish, lack of needed medical and/or dental care, and/or tremendous suffering of another sort? I can fully understand why someone would want to commit suicide if he felt that he didn't have any hope for the future.

If we were to acknowledge the concept of individual rights and self ownership and were to allow people to commit suicide by choosing voluntary, humane euthanasia (at any adult age), I bet that the nation's suicide rates would skyrocket. Would that really be so horrible? Is it necessary for people who sincerely wish to die for good reasons to continue living?

One policy reason for opposing legalizing suicide is that we, as a society, need impoverished people who will work for slave wages to support the lifestyles of the rest us. What would happen if much of the lower class committed suicide? What would happen if underemployed college educated people (who use their intellect and ability to do a better job of lesser jobs) committed suicide rather than live in poverty? Imagine if all of those student loans went unpaid.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:25 AM

32 posts, read 79,573 times
Magellan
You must read must post once again, I have no compassion for people who kill others.
Bottom line is that I feel for the people who think that suicide is the answer - not murder.. Reread it again.
Why has suicide increased in our military ? Is that also "cowardice of the highest order"
When someone is pushed to their limit (and it's different for each of us) and they are at what they feel to be rock bottom with no choice. And think that suicide is the answer.
I feel for these people, because many of them don't think anyone cares including their family.
And just so you know, I don't agree with suicide. There is a solution, it just takes a little time to figure it out.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I agree -- I have more disgust than pity because any of us who have ever rented know that you can be perfectly happy and be renting.

And if you lose a job you find another job. And if you have to rent a house, apartment, or trailer somewhere that there are jobs -- then that's certainly a good option.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 PM

412 posts, read 939,371 times
Yes, it would be horrible if suicide was legalized and the suicide rate skyrocketed. However, I doubt the fact that suicide is illegal is stopping anyone for committing it.

I think that most of us will agree that suicide is not a normal response to problems such as job loss, divorce, or even homelessness. These are unfortunate and difficult problems, but most healthy people know that they can be overcome. This may come as a shock, but even poor people can be happy.

Very depressed people may see no hope in the situation, and they need medical help to deal with their depression. They do not need to committ suicide.

Bhaalspawn - I suggest that you do some research into the causes of suicide and the affects on friends, family, coworkers, and acquaintances. It's not something to be taken lightly.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:41 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Default its all easy to talk about.. unless your family is affected

I have a good friend who lost her childrens' father to suicide only a few short months ago. He, too, was a victum of Michigan's economy.

Do I think it was cowardly of him to commit suicide, especially having two children under the age of 12? Yes. But, I certainly won't sit myself up on a soapbox declaring this. No one needs to hear it, least of all his children.

I completely understand why he committed suicide. He had lost his job, his house, his vehicle, everything he had worked for. He moved in with his parents and couldn't find employment. He had a warrant out for his arrest of back child support. He felt trapped and couldn't find out. It took a toll on his mind, body, spirit and soul. And, unfortunately, it left his children and his ex wife holding the buck. She will forever have to explain to them that it wasn't their fault he couldn't find the motivation to go on in this life.

What we need to do is recognize that suicide is a possibility and get those people help. Yes, suicide is cowardly... but, to some people it seems like the only solution for their situation. They are hopeless and alone in their own mind... you can't help but have to understand that you have to have compassion for where they are at in their particular life, especially if they feel like there is no one or no where they can turn to.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
I have a good friend who lost her childrens' father to suicide only a few short months ago. He, too, was a victum of Michigan's economy.

Do I think it was cowardly of him to commit suicide, especially having two children under the age of 12? Yes. But, I certainly won't sit myself up on a soapbox declaring this. No one needs to hear it, least of all his children.

I completely understand why he committed suicide. He had lost his job, his house, his vehicle, everything he had worked for. He moved in with his parents and couldn't find employment. He had a warrant out for his arrest of back child support. He felt trapped and couldn't find out. It took a toll on his mind, body, spirit and soul. And, unfortunately, it left his children and his ex wife holding the buck. She will forever have to explain to them that it wasn't their fault he couldn't find the motivation to go on in this life.

What we need to do is recognize that suicide is a possibility and get those people help. Yes, suicide is cowardly... but, to some people it seems like the only solution for their situation. They are hopeless and alone in their own mind... you can't help but have to understand that you have to have compassion for where they are at in their particular life, especially if they feel like there is no one or no where they can turn to.
It sounds like that guy might have had other problems. If you can't find a job in Michigan, then how does moving in with your parents and not working help? He could have packed his bags and gone where there was a job. Plenty of people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: