Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,313 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating my family near Madison Heights. What is a good area to live near Madison Heights. How are the schools. What is the weather really like. How is the housing, we would be looking for a 5BR 4 bath with basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:15 PM

14 posts, read 80,158 times
Can't tell you the going prices lately, as it has been 10 years since I last lived there. I was at 12 mile and Dequindre, and it wasn't too bad-Just remember that Detroit is only 4 miles South and keep ypour eyes open..

I actually grew up in Berkley, which is only a few miles West. Berkley was a bit better in some ways, but all in all about the same.

Weather was definately 4 seasons, with some SEVERE thunderstorms and Tornadoes in the summer. Spring and fall are GREAT and winter is, well Winter. Lots of ice and every now and then a MAJOR snowstorm. The saying is, if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes..

My daughter went to school in MH and it wasn't good, BUT that goes for a lot of schools everywhere. Bunch of wannabe gangbangers..

Old 02-15-2008, 12:00 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,285 times
Madison Heights is not a nice area. That said, there are nice areas in the next towns over. I live in Ferndale, it's a very up and coming town with lots of activities and great schools. Royal Oak, Berkley and Troy also are very nice. Avoid Hazel Park.
You can find cheap housing in Ferndale and it's a million times nicer and safer than MH. Berkley and Royal Oak also are much better than they used to be. Very little crime and the neighborhoods and houses are beautiful. All three of these areas are in a good location, only 20 minutes from downtown Detroit.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,313 times
It sounds like MH and Detroit are not so good. My concern is the economic stability of the area in general. Is MI a depressed state, stable, on the rise and are there other business having success or are business having trouble succeeding.

I am trying to get a feel if there are nice areas 20 to 30 miles outside MH which sound like there are. I want to be able to send my children to safe schools that challenge students and exceed the national standards.

Can anyone comment on the property and real estate taxes. I am accustom to having an acre plus of land with space between houses giving added privacy. Are there neighborhoods offering this?

Our price range is up to $500,000 but we can go higher if need be.

Last edited by quiteman; 02-15-2008 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-16-2008, 10:13 AM

106 posts, read 535,718 times
Well, Madison Heights is ok, but it's mostly smaller, ranch style homes, which doesn't sound like something you're interested in. If you want a newer, large home, I'd look in some of the newer northern suburbs such as Lake Orion, Clarkston, Rochester, Rochester Hills, and Oakland Township.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 32,753 times
Madison Heights is so-so at best. Due to the weather, the roads are the worst in Oakland county. Try choosing a neighboring city that's better, such as Troy, Royal Oak, or maybe Clawson. They may be more expensive, but the neighborhoods are in better condition.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 AM

7 posts, read 15,552 times
Are you relocating from another state or another burb in the D? I am not a homeowner and do not have kids, but just from where I have lived and what I know- MH is not too good but there are definitely worse places in the metro area you could live. It borders Troy to the north, which is MUCH better, but you will pay for that quality too. Dmetro is right about mostly smaller ranch stlye homes in MH. Royal Oak and parts of Sterling Heights are good. I lived in Troy and currently live in Rochster. Although you pay for the zip codes, the schools are good and the quality of life you will experience is worth it in my opinion. There certainly are not the crime concerns like you will have closer to Detroit city. As for wondering about the economic stability of the area in general- forget it. Michigan ecomomy is in the tank and only getting worse. I am actually debating a transfer to Tampa, FL right now- can't take the depression of this place anymore! As a co-worker pointed out- Detroit was recently named Most Miserable City by one of those city studies they are always conducting. Woohoo! Good luck in your decision....

Old 03-05-2008, 03:26 PM

49 posts, read 218,528 times
Do not buy a home in Madison Heights. It is a dump. It is so scary. The schools are bad compared to Troy and West Bloomfield. I would suggest buying a home in Birmingham, Troy, West Blomfield, Oakland Township if you can afford. Real nice homes and real good school districts. I live in Birmingham it is amazing. Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan