Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 06:31 PM

29 posts, read 24,182 times

Advertisements

HI, me and my little retired family, 2 seniors, wanting to leave Eugene Oregon; cause our town is so packed, heavy traffic, big freeways, smog, am willing to brave tough weather.My Michigan friends say."The state is very empty.We have little towns, no jobs, but lots of space.We have water, and local crops." That sounds good to me, cause Oregon is drying up very badly, can't grow food any more, and no water any more.

We don't mind if the weather is cold; big deal.We just want to find doctors,clinics,near by medical care as we are old.We are wanting OUT of very crowded, gentrified town.Old fashioned towns and places in Michigan? Friendly? Sociable? How is the cost of living?It has become very bad in Oregon.How are the transportation systems in Michigan? How is the everyday pace of life?Yes, hows the cost of living, and how much would a little house run, for costs? Also, how hard is it, to get deals on foreclosures?

Excuse me for asking all this info.I will read all of other people's posts too. thanks, doo555, in Oregon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 10:08 AM

16 posts, read 17,217 times
Hi There. It's tough to give a direct answer to your question. There are many places that strike a balance of your wish list, it's just a matter of which way you want to lean.

First thing to mention for most of Michigan is there is very little public transportation. Unless you live in a more populated area or within walking distance to a downtown, you're going to need to own a car and do some driving.

Looking at medical facilities, there are some fantastic hospital systems in the area. The catch is that to be successful they need to be in more populated areas. Everywhere has Dr offices and the like, but if you want to be near hospitals, high end treatment centers, or any type of specialization you're going to also be living in a more heavily populated area. Or you'll need a car and be able to drive.

I would suggest researching on the Ann Arbor area. Ann Arbor has one of the best hospitals in the state, is very walkable, and has a lot of options for restaurants and activities. There are many rural areas within 15-20 minute drives to Ann Arbor that would have a little slower paced lifestyle and be less tense in terms of population. Dexter, Saline, Tecumseh, etc are some areas that are near Ann Arbor, have a nice down town, and are a little less populated. Take a look and see if that's what you're looking for. Depending on what you like/don't like I could make some further suggestions from there.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
I agree about looking in the Ann Arbor vicinity. Ann Arbor has world class medical care because of the University of Michigan healthcare system and others, but there are so many safe, friendly, rural cornfield towns within 20-30 minutes where housing is affordable, especially if you are coming from Oregon.

Google Chelsea, Dexter, Milan, Dundee, Tecumseh, Saline, and Brighton, for starters. They are all very nice places to live without the bigger city vibe, yet a short drive to Ann Arbor and about 45 min. to an hour from Metro Detroit for major Metro amenities such as major league sports, big name concerts, etc. We live in one of these towns and we could literally leave our doors unlocked at night, that's how little crime we have. The people are nice and down to earth, and very civic minded. Lots of stuff to do in spite of the small town atmosphere; farmers' markets, festivals, etc.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:34 PM

944 posts, read 1,211,143 times
Ann Arbor is not that different than Eugene, slightly smaller but culturally very similar. People have covered most of the towns around Ann Arbor that meet your requirements.

I'd suggest looking in the area near Kalamazoo, though. It is less built up on the whole and the city has two hospitals plus a medical school. Prices are lower out that way, too.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:51 AM

Actually, prices just outside of Ann Arbor are very reasonable, especially as compared to the inflated prices of the Pacific Northwest where the OP would be coming from. Some of these towns are more expensive than others (Saline, because it is more of a wealthy bedroom community right next to Ann Arbor), but if you google real estate in Tecumseh, for example, it is amazing what you can get for your money in such a quaint, safe, little town. If it wouldn't make my commute to work almost an hour, I would move to Tecumseh in a heartbeat, and I love the town where we live now. Tecumseh still retains its small town charm but has attracted some commuters from Ann Arbor because it is such a nice place to live and so relatively peaceful and quiet.

Welcome to Downtown Tecumseh, Michigan | Home

Chelsea is also an adorable town with affordable real estate.

Chelsea, Michigan | Great Small Cities in Michigan | We're something ELSE

Dundee is smaller than Tecumseh or Chelsea but equally charming and has affordable real estate as well.

Dundee, MI - Official Website

Any of these towns would probably fit the OP's criteria while still being a reasonable commute to excellent healthcare facilities and physicians.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Teh West side of the state is prettier and less populated. Grand Rapids has good hospitals. You could try South Haven or Grand Haven, or any number of small towns inland. The added advantage is if you miss big city stuff, Chicago is a short drive away.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:41 AM

944 posts, read 1,211,143 times
I love Ann Arbor as much as anyone has ever loved anywhere but for people looking to escape a gentrifying college town, it is maybe the worst suggestion imaginable

Old 05-20-2016, 07:01 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
The metro areas of Ann Arbor, Lansing, Grand Rapids and even Traverse City for many of the characteristics you are looking for. You will need to have a car and drive, if you want to give the car up, you're going to have to live closer to or in the city or on the bus routes (which others have mentioned do exist, however they are not fast, quick, regular and dependable like many larger cities).
Draw a circle around any of these towns with a 25-30 mile radius and you'll find some smaller communities that have walkable downtown areas, hometown events, county events and plenty to do, with the ease of getting to the major city for medical care, cultural events, courts, satellite offices for government agencies etc.

As for the cost of living~debatable as to what you're willing to give up. There still are some short sale and foreclosures available, they come with a long wait, lots of red tape and often are more fixer upper. (I know because we did this). Car insurance is WAY more expensive than any other state we've lived in, taxes are about the same as the last state we lived in, public pensions are taxed here (and not in many other states). Utilities are slightly less expensive, even though it requires more energy to heat homes during our winters, we don't use the AC as much as other states we've lived in. Gas for cars is cheaper some days and more expensive on other days~I've never seen such drastic price swings in a single day in any other state I've lived in or traveled to. If it's $2.19 a gallon at 8AM, it can be $2.45 by lunchtime. Our roads are, for the most part, in questionable condition and for some reason when they do repair, the work is often shoddy and the cycle continues. The highways are quick and efficient, speed limits are 70 and if you drive that you're a slowpoke. Food prices are reasonable, medical care (in the areas mentioned) is very good, the air quality is great (although there are many "just gray" days).

It is a beautiful state, lots of open space, tons of outdoor activities in all seasons, great history, great wineries, lots of museums, several zoos, more lakes and lakeshore area than any other state. Lots of golf courses, 2 major college teams, many hometown baseball teams, and Detroit has all of the national sports teams. It has the best of much, the biggest downfall being the cold, gray winters.

You'd be greeted and welcomed by some of the nicest, friendliest, helpful, down to earth folks. Neighbors take care of each other, communities rally, volunteerism and giving back is a way of life.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
I love Ann Arbor as much as anyone has ever loved anywhere but for people looking to escape a gentrifying college town, it is maybe the worst suggestion imaginable
That's why no one suggested it as a place to live, only as a place to travel to for the excellent healthcare that the OP desires.

I live 25 minutes from Ann Arbor via expressway and you would never have a remote idea that you were anywhere near a college town where I live. It is small, rural, friendly, and old fashioned in a lot of ways. The commercial architecture is virtually all late 1800s/early 1900s and the town is surrounded by cornfields. I could choose never to go to Ann Arbor for anything and never know it existed -- gentrification, college campus, and all. However, the beauty of living here is, if I need world class healthcare, a vast array of ethnic restaurants, and unique shopping opportunities, it is available, and only 25 minutes away. I am a country girl born and bred who does not like big cities except on rare occasions and I am completely happy in my little cornfield town. It truly is the best of both worlds.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:03 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I have never heard any of these things about Eugene OR. I do think as elderly seniors you might want to think about driving on ice and walking on ice for a good 4 months the year if not more. There will be a lot of it, more than you are accustomed to. Many northern seniors are accustomed to winter cold but move south as snow removal and ice become a threat. A broken hip is a serious thing.
Eugene is a couple hundred thousand pop. So you want something smaller in size but with good hospitals and Dr.s and public transportation. And...growing your own food? So...a big city lot? Not sure I understand that part about can't grow food anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan