Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:13 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,898,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightButLoose View Post
I've read some things on this forum that suggest downtown Flint is being redeveloped. True?
Actually, they have done some things...its pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:20 PM

336 posts, read 908,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8)_XanaDu View Post
My comments are in blue, so you can easily locate them.
Here we go again! Everytime this thread falls off the main screen someone always digs it out and we hafta hear all the Flint bashing again.

I tried quoting your comments in fushia, but I guess CD won't let me!

Anyhoo...hopefully Snyder lives up to his campaign promises (hey...it could happen) and reorganizes the business tax to make Michigan more appealing to businesses.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:32 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Here we go again! Everytime this thread falls off the main screen someone always digs it out and we hafta hear all the Flint bashing again.

I tried quoting your comments in fushia, but I guess CD won't let me!

Anyhoo...hopefully Snyder lives up to his campaign promises (hey...it could happen) and reorganizes the business tax to make Michigan more appealing to businesses.

Maybe this thread should just go away, we all know what happened to Flint and Ill agree with you that rehashing it does no one any good. No one has any suggestions on what to do with Flint anyway, so simply pointing out the obvious is a waste of time. Flint was once an important small city, and maybe we should just let it rest in peace.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 34,168 times
This thread is kind of old, but Flint isn't that great, at all. Other areas of Michigan are better, like Lansing or Grand Rapids. Even the Flint suburbs aren't that great, the really good ones are Flushing, Grand Blanc, and Davison though. If Lapeer counts, then the Lapeer area is nice too. Swartz Creek is kind of nice, but the schools have horrible drug and other problems. Durand, Mt. Morris, Beecher, some of Burton, and Lennon aren't the greatest. Sure Durand and Lennon seem safe because they are small, but realistically they aren't TO safe, but better than some of the other suburbs. Durand, is smaller, and seems safe, but the people here aren't friendly, it's depressing town, and the schools are slowly falling downhill, also we have a lot of unreported crime, plus a lot goes on in this small place, it's really not the safest. Flint itself doesn't really have nice neighborhoods, except by Kearsley is alright... And the Flint schools are all horrible as well... Separate districts like Carman-Ainsworth and Kearsley in Flint aren't all that bad, the actual Flint district is though, like I stated above. If anyone has anything to do with Flint, Grand Blanc and Flushing may be the best:]

Old 12-21-2010, 06:37 AM

336 posts, read 908,256 times
What did you do, search Flint just so you could bash it? You're not saying anything that hasn't been covered ad nauseum.

Magellan can you lock this thread?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 AM

893 posts, read 1,206,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
What did you do, search Flint just so you could bash it? You're not saying anything that hasn't been covered ad nauseum.

Magellan can you lock this thread?
When you view city pages it has a section that says: "Recent posts about Flint, Michigan on our local forum with over 1,200,000 registered users. Flint is mentioned 2,348 times on our forum:"

And lists a handful of topics that (I assume) are the most recent ones about the city, even if they are several years old. I think I (accidentally) bumped quite a few threads yesterday because I was looking at all of the "recent" Flint posts (redirected from the //www.city-data.com/city/Flint-Michigan.html page) and didn't know there was an entire Michigan forum that it was attached to. lol That's also how I found this one as well.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:10 AM

55 posts, read 242,281 times
As someone else said, not all of Flint is miserable or bad. It is just certain areas. Residents know to avoid those areas. I happen to live on the south side. Yes, there are problems sometimes around here, but my street is actually pretty safe. That's because we have a lot of home owners on the street who still care about their properties and who work full-time. All of the trouble on the street (current and past) has come from the dead beat renters who don't pay rent and end up evicted within a few months--and these are usually the ones who do drugs, rob etc.. And I'd say the same could be said for the bad areas of Flint. When people don't think they have to work and can just jump from rental property to rental property, when they think that they can steal from others to support themselves, that's when a neighborhood gets bad.

What I love is the fact that people who don't even live here feel they can judge the entire city based on reported crime. It's ridiculous! If you do not live in this area, you do NOT know what it is really like. I am not saying Flint is perfect, but it is NOT as bad as everyone makes it out to be, at least certain areas are not. We're NOT all delinquents and uneducated people who won't work. I've lived in this area my whole life and am now 23. I have my college degree and also work full-time. I'm a hard working, honest person who has never done anything illegal. And there are a lot more like me in this city.

It's like if I were to say Chicago is miserable. That would be unfair of me because (1) I do not live there and (2) despite the crime, there are good areas of that city. Same principle applies to Detroit, Flint etc. Unless you live here or have lived here anytime in the past couple years, you do not have a real, educated opinion of the city.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I think the best thing you can do to help a city, especially one that has as bad of a reputation as Flint, is to live in the city and tell others about what you are doing. Other people will see you live in the city and say, "Oh, he/she lives there and seems to like it, so it can't be THAT bad." It takes an urban pioneer mindset to live in a city as downtrodden as Flint, though. Do urban pioneers even exist in Michigan? Seems like the only desirable cities in Michigan -- Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids -- were never downtrodden to begin with. When I lived in Michigan, all I ever heard was middle-aged people talking about how "terrible" Flint, Lansing, Jackson, Detroit, etc. were. Yet these same people were perfectly fine in their suburban or country homes. I think the problem with Michigan's cities is that not enough people see the advantages of urban living -- historic architecture and affordable housing, close proximity to amenities, walkable neighborhoods, etc.
I disagree i have lived in the best and worst parts of Flint as well as other parts of Michigan. I have experienced nothing good in all my 36 years in the state. those who do have are jerks who think they are god and high ruler over all others that exist and those who don"t think everyone is to blame but them and the world owes them a hand out. Either way to say it is an ok area and to move there willingly you may as well be suicidal. As far as walkability if you would like to be shot and killed feel free to do all the walking you want. As for me I prefered to stay in the safe confines of my home and live to see the light of the next day. And yes I've moved out of the state and live where I live and encourage others like minded to do the same if you value your life and your future as well as the future of your children and/or future children.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:15 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom101 View Post
I disagree i have lived in the best and worst parts of Flint as well as other parts of Michigan. I have experienced nothing good in all my 36 years in the state. those who do have are jerks who think they are god and high ruler over all others that exist and those who don"t think everyone is to blame but them and the world owes them a hand out. Either way to say it is an ok area and to move there willingly you may as well be suicidal. As far as walkability if you would like to be shot and killed feel free to do all the walking you want. As for me I prefered to stay in the safe confines of my home and live to see the light of the next day. And yes I've moved out of the state and live where I live and encourage others like minded to do the same if you value your life and your future as well as the future of your children and/or future children.
Oh ok wait, so you actually need to leave Michigan if you value your life??? lmfao

Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,729,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom101 View Post
I disagree i have lived in the best and worst parts of Flint as well as other parts of Michigan. I have experienced nothing good in all my 36 years in the state.
You must not get out much.

In the Flint area alone, I have fond childhood memories of Autoworld, Pennywhistle Place, Water Street Pavilion, the Children's Museum, Sloan Museum, Longway Planetarium, parks, Crossroad's Village, the Crim, more recently Back to the Bricks, etc... Going throughout the state- of course there are the big things- Mackinac Island, Traverse City, Tawas, Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, the zoos (Detroit, Lansing, and Saginaw), Michigan's Adventure, Tiger Stadium (& Comerica Park), etc... Little things, too- skiing, water skiing and tubing Up North, Deer Acres, lighthouses, the Dream Cruise, the entire U.P., etc...

There are very few things I don't love about Michigan. (*cough**roads**cough*) Most of all, the terrible reputation it has. Open your eyes and enjoy what is around you! Stop focusing on the negative and DO something to make it better!

(And, to deflect any future comments- I do not live in MI right now, but I've been trying like heck to get back for a few years now. Teaching jobs aren't so easy to find up there I'm working on it though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan