Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 919 times

Advertisements

Hello, I bought a rental unit that had a tenant already living there with a lease agreement I had to honor from the prior landlord. As the tenant was already living in the unit, I was unable to remove the carpet over the hardwood flooring to see what was going on, its condition, etc. Tenant had an old cat and there was some smell of urine. The carpet, though 5-6 years old, looked in decent shape and I suspect it had been cleaned often. Upon the tenant vacating the unit at end of lease, I removed the carpet to find significant damage to the hardwood floors. Cat urine and water stain evidence everywhere. I used a black light to detect old and newer cat urine stain/evidence and photographed everything. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has had a similar situation with inheriting a tenant then trying to determine what damage charges to attribute to that tenant upon lease termination. I have the move-in checklist from when she moved in with the prior landlord 6 years ago and there is no indication of cat urine odor, etc. on the form. Thanks for your thoughts in advanced.
Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 06:27 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,955,527 times
If you inherited the security deposit, I would say that you're definitely eligible to keep that, providing ex-tenant with receipts equal to or in excess of actual cost to repair/replace damage.

Unfortunately, since you didn't write or renew the lease, you're probably going to have to pay out of pocket to have it corrected before re-renting.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:20 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,280,511 times
How can you prove the current tenant's cat created the damage to the hardwood floors? If I was the tenant - I would argue that the stains weren't caused by my cat but from a pet that visited the occupant (or lived there) prior to me renting the unit.

Chalk it up as a cost of doing business.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:35 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,260,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
How can you prove the current tenant's cat created the damage to the hardwood floors? If I was the tenant - I would argue that the stains weren't caused by my cat but from a pet that visited the occupant (or lived there) prior to me renting the unit.

Chalk it up as a cost of doing business.
The current tenant did not indicate any cat urine smell when they moved in 6 years ago. They have a cat, I would say your safe keeping the deposit to the extent of the repair costs. I don't think he needs to prove who did the damage because the current tenant bought the damage by accepting the lease 6 years ago with no mention of cat urine or a cat urine smell.
rather than "Chalk it up as a cost of doing business" I suggest the tenant chalk up a lost security deposit to damaging property they didn't own.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:11 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,504,211 times
The purpose of the move in checklist is to exempt the tenant from any existing damage upon moving out. If the damage was not noted I would say you are well within your right to charge this damage against the security deposit. Make sure you provide the tenant with a copy of the checklist and an explanation.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:34 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,280,511 times
And be sure to refer the tenant to me if tenant wishes to sue landlord for the security deposit back.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,260,170 times
Whats the math on that? A security deposit can't be more than 1.5 times rent. So lets say rent is $1000 a month. Thats a $1500 deposit. Maybe rent is only $800 and the deposit is $1200.
If your a lawyer whats your cut of the deposit to file and win the lawsuit? Whats your cut to lose the lawsuit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan