Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 01:04 PM

16 posts, read 17,213 times

Advertisements

Hey OP. Just a couple quick thoughts for you. Good info so far. I currently live in Grand Blanc. I would avoid Flint just because of the water issues. The areas effected are on the smaller side, but it's hurting the entire Flint economy regardless.

You are in the same demographic as me, except I have a kid. Early 30s, married, like some kind of an economy around with shopping and restaurants. For me, Fenton is the big place to be right now. They are adding a lot to their downtown in terms of unique restaurants. Grand Blanc seems to have dropped the ball on this. Their big addition to the economy in the past year is a Dollar Tree. They do have a couple local restaurants, but there isn't any type of walkable downtown. They do have the movie theater with some good restaurants there, but that is only a 15 minute or so drive from Fenton area.

I would probably avoid Waterford unless you want to be closer to some other areas further south. Clarkston is definitely more populous than 900. They do have some nice restaurants downtown, and it's a little more walkable, but there's not much in terms of shopping. It's not far from shopping though, which is nice. Only issue that you may run into is DTE Energy Music Theater in the summer. Depending on where in Clarkston you would be, there are potentially some nights with a ton of traffic/noise in the summer. Both on the expressway and locally.

Swartz Creek is a decent area, a little older, not a whole lot going on, but still within distance to a lot of things.

Brighton/Howell are both going to be long drives. Both would be about a half hour at least, maybe a little more depending on where you are in each city. Howell could be up to an hour depending on where you are.

Hope that helps.

One other question that I don't think has been asked, are you renting or buying? Because that will change recommendations too. Some of those cities don't have as many options in terms of leases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 10,684 times
Thank you JStockton! So we are thinking either Fenton or Clarkston most likely. I will be visiting both areas in about a week. We are up in the air about rent/lease right now. We may either buy immediately or wait a year to make sure we like the area/jobs, etc. I was thinking about the concert traffic and was wondering what that would be like in the summer living in Clarkston. Also we both love snowboarding so being close to Pine Knob could be good but I also know Mt. Holly is a short drive from Fenton. I really like what you have told me about Fenton's development. What about the most bang for your buck in terms of purchasing a home between the two areas? Any other direct comparisons you could make b/w Fenton and Clarkston (Schools, Taxes, appreciation values, etc)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan