Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 932 times

Advertisements

I was laid of from my job at a day care because i got pregnet and doctor said i could not lift over 23 lbs because i have a at risk pregnecy beacuse i am expecting 3 babys. curently all my kids at day care are under 23 lbs but the owner said she has to lay me off because if there was a fire there are some kids who are over 23 lbs. So i applied for UIA in Michigan, when she found this out she called me up and said to come back to work and she could use me on a different job but i would only get 10 hours a week but still have to go there 5 days a week which would hardly pay for my gas.
Do i have to except this job offer or lose my UIA bennfets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:16 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko24 View Post
I was laid of from my job at a day care because i got pregnet and doctor said i could not lift over 23 lbs because i have a at risk pregnecy beacuse i am expecting 3 babys. curently all my kids at day care are under 23 lbs but the owner said she has to lay me off because if there was a fire there are some kids who are over 23 lbs. So i applied for UIA in Michigan, when she found this out she called me up and said to come back to work and she could use me on a different job but i would only get 10 hours a week but still have to go there 5 days a week which would hardly pay for my gas.
Do you seriously expect someone on C-D to make this important of a life decision for you?

Also, holy run-on sentences and horrible spelling, Batman...

Old 09-27-2016, 01:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko24 View Post

You need to repost this in the unemployment forum. They will help you get it:

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/

Old 09-29-2016, 01:01 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
Your story doesn't even add up. Read this sentence.

"Currently all my kids at day care are under 23 lbs but the owner said she has to lay me off because if there was a fire there are some kids who are over 23 lbs."

Does fire make people heavier? Huh?

Old 09-29-2016, 01:52 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
I think what she meant is that her kids are all under 23 lbs, but in the event of a fire kids in other rooms, ones which she does not regularly work in, are over 23 lbs and her help may be required in order to help the instructors in these rooms to remove kids.

That being said, even if you are working in another position and there is a fire, you'd still be expected to help get kids out, so your boss' logic is very flawed. Also, I'm pretty sure that you can still qualify for Unemployment Insurance in the case of cut hours, even if you maintain your position.

You should take this up with your boss and express that you expect to maintain your current position and hours or you will file for unemployment regardless of a total layoff or simply a reduction in hours. Also mention that the excuse of needing to lift 23+ lb children does not change based on if you are the caretaker of infants or working in a non-caretaker position. The expectation should be that all capable adults remove kids during a fire. If you are incapable, which it sounds like you would be, the reasonable expectation is that you should be exempt from needing to life the heavier kids.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:43 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
I wouldn't discuss this with your boss until you find out more information. It seems apparent that she is offering you reduced hours in the hope that you will refuse them, which may alter your status with unemployment. (Ten hours over five days sounds unreasonable, but I'm not sure if there are any associated legal requirements.) I would suggest that you first see if there is anyone at the unemployment office that you can talk to about your situation. You might also check with a Legal Aid Society or some other free legal resource. Maybe they can help you to determine your best course of action.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:31 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
Why does the boss want to prevent the OP from getting UIA? Is there some financial incentive or penalty for the boss involved? Seems like a f'd up thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan