Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 17,618 times

Advertisements

A while ago, I read an article that said young people are leaving the U.P. .
I think it said they do it for economic reasons, as there are better
economic opportunities elsewhere.

I think just about everyone who has posted anything negative about the
U.P. has complained about the economy, specifically the lack of jobs
,low wages and the high cost of living, including taxes.

The other complaints I have heard is about the weather ,specifically the long,
cold winter and nothing to do.

Other than specifically personal reasons (college,a specific job,family needs etc.) why do people choose to leave Upper Peninsula? And do people who leave tend to return? And finally, if they return, do they return to U.P. because of it's qualities or because it's home?

I realize these questions are extremely general and probably impossible to
answer, but I'd appreciate any comments.
P.S. Is Marquette the BEST city in the U.P.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:54 AM

46 posts, read 151,772 times
Here are some of my potentially biased and inaccurate opinions on the topic, as a young adult from the UP:

Many people leave after they graduate high school, to go off to college or find work opportunities elsewhere. It's really sad to me. Ruins the community feeling - what kind of place is one where all the social structures made in place by the new generation disintegrate when they graduate HS? To me it makes a slight snowball effect - people move because the people that they grew up with moved!

The winters are really long, really difficult. Heating costs are very high (especially with fuel prices today), despite an otherwise very low (?) cost of living. Also older adults may move because they're too focused on money. They want to go join the rat race somewhere else. It is poorer up there - but I never knew that until I left.

But I think also there is the effect of American culture corrupting the UP. People are busy with work and not family life, and busy focusing on materialism (though nowhere near as much as most of the USA, but still it's a problem in my biased opinion), that kids find their place so "boring" and they think there are many other places that have a lot more to offer than in the UP, so they move when they get old enough. Things like TV and the school curriculum... basically all try to suck the "Yooper" out of the youth there, and turn them into cookie cutter Americans. Even some of the smartest kids fall for it, and head off to other states to get an education and new life.

A lot of it I think is a "grass is greener" problem.

But really, I'm not sure about the details of the stats, but the UP's population IIRC is *much* more stable than most of the rural midwest. Much of the midwest is dying .... the UP isn't. The population is just stable to slight decline (which makes sense, as birth rates are lower these days than the mid 1900s! Older people dying is going to lower the population, obviously - making it look like more are leaving than what is actually happening). It doesn't get a whole lot of immigration from other parts of the USA/state/world... it's not the type of place I'd recommend anyone to move to if they weren't from there, because they aren't used to the winters, the culture, etc etc, and frankly I'd hate to see the UP grow much from immigration anyway, seeing as how population growth has been so terribly managed in most other parts of the USA. For me though it's the best place in the world but I'm biased because I'm born and raised there.

Again, my perspective could be totally wrong. I'm just giving my guesses and impressions.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:11 PM

33 posts, read 39,901 times
"Fine Where I Am", well said. You're obviously a well educated guy.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 PM

760 posts, read 2,431,218 times
fine_where_I_am - Good post, can't add much to what you've already said

I will say that "the grass is greener" phenomenon is widespread across the U.S. We've become a nation of disatisfied folks, always looking for something new, hoping that if they can just get to "that one place", then their problems will disappear and they'll be "happy".
They don't understand that happiness comes from within, not a place, or an economic standing. All the change of scenery, mindless entertainment, and massive consumerism in the world cannot change what you are inside.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks Scoolin, yet more misinformation on the U.P. and your post had little to do with the op.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM

40 posts, read 176,269 times
Default I ask myself that same question everytime I end my U.P. vacations

As I approach the bridge, I keep asking myself: What are you doing? You're EXACTLY where you want to be! Why are you leaving???
One of these days, I'm going to retire up there, and I'll NEVER have to leave again! I will be in complete bliss! It's the most beautiful place on earth.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:17 PM

417 posts, read 1,123,868 times
Default The second subject....

Is Marquette the best city in the U.P.? What makes a city good? I've been to every city (if you can call them that) in the U.P. and I feel that Escanaba and Iron Mountain are every bit as good as Marquette if you're talking about amenities, restaurants, shopping, etc. Of course, Marquette and Houghton have nationally recognized colleges. BUt Marquette has always depressed the hell out of me! It's scrunched right up against Lake Superior and while it's beautiful in the summer, it's bleak and desolate the rest of the year. Munising is even worse, trapped between the hills and Grand Island - you can't even look out over the Lake.
We're moving to the Escanaba area within the next month and I'm looking very forward to it. Escanaba seems to have everything a person could want.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
BUt Marquette has always depressed the hell out of me! It's scrunched right up against Lake Superior and while it's beautiful in the summer, it's bleak and desolate the rest of the year. .
I completely respect your right to your opinion...... I'm just astounded by it!
I've never heard anyone say that before

Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 AM

78 posts, read 356,041 times
Younger people leaving the UP -- or any rural areas -- are leaving to find mates.

As a young person, you're looking around the pool of potential spouses, and you've pretty much exhausted your options. Or your related to them. So, off to the big town where more options exist.

Once paired up, it's back to the country -- either her or his hometown.

sidebar:
Interestingly, crows - who also 'mate for life' find their partners this same way. They literally leave the nest at maturity, and migrate solo to larger flocks of non-relatives. Once they find a mate, these 2 partners leave the larger flock to establish their own feeding/greeding territories.

There are, of course, other examples in nature. But there you go.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:39 AM

999 posts, read 4,512,229 times
I love the U.P........in September and October. That's about it for me. Besides just exploring the woods, my favorite place is Calumet. As far as populations shifts, imagine what places like Calumet and Houghton-Hancock were like 100 years ago. Nothing like today. The U.P. has seen a huge population decrease, at least in the cities, don't you think?

I like visiting the old cemeteries where it looks like no one has been for a hundred years, and trying to imagine what the surrounding town was like back then. To see the beautiful buildings in Calumet, you know there had to be a lot of people and a ton of money back then. They don't build those kinds of buildings for no reason.. If you look at old pictures of the areas around the towns, there are no trees near the mines for quite an area. Lots of the landscape is bare and the trees are all underground as timbers in the mine. It's a reminder of how the landscape can change over time. Maybe Detroit will go fallow(er) and resort to forest again!

And the mining companies are still around. Just not so active up there as they are other places. Calumet and Hecla, Phelps Dodge, etc. are big employers in Central/Northern AZ I think. Lots of cool history up there. Might have to take a motorcycle trip soon....

As far as living there, that would sure be a change for most of us. I've been afraid to spend a winter up there ever since seeing "The Shining".

Any of you Yoopers know where this one is?
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/NormanYan007/upcem2.jpg (broken link)
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/NormanYan007/upcem5.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan