Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 PM

21 posts, read 54,138 times

Advertisements

Is the average wage (including benefits) that a Line worker makes at American Axle. No wonder cars cost $35,000... Paying a line worker $150,000 with overtime is institutionalized Corruption!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 02:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Everything I have seen is that they CAN make up to $65 an hour, not that it is the average wage. I would be interested in seeing those numbers actually. Please post a link so I can read it.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:44 PM

78 posts, read 357,215 times
You'd rather have an axle built by a worker making $2 a day???

Old 02-26-2008, 03:54 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,075,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Pirate View Post
You'd rather have an axle built by a worker making $2 a day???
There is quite a difference from 2.00 a day and $70.00 an hr.. I've thought the, well what used to be the big three have made to much for the last 30 years. The unions have priced the workers right out of their jobs. You didn't have to go to college back then if you got into one of the auto plants,you probably made more than if you did go to school. I worked for a parts supplier and the average wage was at least 50% less than a union plant. Well they closed us up and we were making money. Shipped some to Mexico and consolidated the rest. GM is one of the jobs that went across the border so if you think your buying made in USA think again. My neighbor is retired from GM and he makes more than I did when I worked. I agree with the starter of this thread that said " no wonder cars cost 35,000".Thats why my truck and car are 1993's. I blame the big companies for letting it happen too. With the overtime take GM for instance 135,000 or more a year. To work on the line or whatever ? No wonder they were or are in trouble. Don't get me wrong I hate to see anyone lose a job, just stating my opinion. I also say a some of it is the medical insurance cost but thats another topic.Also the huge bonus and such to the upper management people are insane.

Last edited by 1eyedjack; 02-26-2008 at 05:20 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjack View Post
There is quite a difference from 2.00 a day and $70.00 an hr.. I've thought the, well what used to be the big three have made to much for the last 30 years. The unions have priced the workers right out of their jobs. You didn't have to go to college back then if you got into one of the auto plants,you probably made more than if you did go to school. I worked for a parts supplier and the average wage was at least 50% less than a union plant. Well they closed us up and we were making money. Shipped some to Mexico and consolidated the rest. GM is one of the jobs that went across the border so if you think your buying made in USA think again. My neighbor is retired from GM and he makes more than I did when I worked. I agree with the starter of this thread that said " no wonder cars cost 35,000".Thats why my truck and car are 1993's. I blame the big companies for letting it happen too. With the overtime take GM for instance 135,000 or more a year. To work on the line or whatever ? No wonder they were or are in trouble. Don't get me wrong I hate to see anyone lose a job, just stating my opinion. I also say a some of it is the medical insurance cost but thats another topic.Also the huge bonus and such to the upper management people are insane.

But even with many parts being made in Mexico with $0.50 an hour workers, cars are $35,000.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But even with many parts being made in Mexico with $0.50 an hour workers, cars are $35,000.

Thats because the big bosses and CEO's need their money, if they would take a pay cut and cut some of their *golden parachuet* things would improve

Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 AM

83 posts, read 387,542 times
From what I understand that 75 dollars an hour is including all of their overtime and benefits.

if they make 33 dollars an hour (for skilled labor I believe thats the rate) thats almost 70k per year. some of them work 70-100 hours a week. Thats at time and a half thats puts them around 50/hour for overtime. At 70 hours a week thats almost another 80 k/year on top of the 70k (someone check my math!). Together thats 150k per year only working 70 hours week which is about 70 bucks/hour Of course thats not including top of the line benefits. thats gotta be another 10-20k/year I would think. Oh, and I am sure that sundays (holidays too) might be double time? An uncle on my wifes side never passes up a Sunday. He makes well over 6 figures on the line and does not want to retire. Who could blame him?

But you know what? They can have their 33 an hour plus overtime if they want to put in those kinds of hours I'll stick to my nice salary at 40 hours a week so I have time to spend it

As far as the 2 dollar a day thats a double edged sword. Those guys making 2 dollars an hour will never complain, never be late, never miss work and will do whatever it takes (including injury) to get the job done. On the other hand, from a quality standpoint, they are afraid to speak up if something is wrong because they fear for their job. Working for a supplier I have witnessed this. Glad I am not in purchasing or quality Oh, and believe me, no matter what brand of car you drive today you can bet there is already a component made by someone making slave wages. Our company is moving everything south of the border or to Asia to save pennies.

You just need to hang on for the ride I guess until someday this all balances out (fingers crossed!)

Old 03-02-2008, 03:05 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Starting wage for a UAW Janitor at GM is $52,000/year + benefits.

http://www.uaw.org/contracts/03/gm/gm02.cfm (broken link)

Do you really need to pay somebody $52,000+ to scrub toilets and mop floors?

I didn't even make $52,000 for quite some time after 4 years of college.

The median starting wage for a Janitor elsewhere in Detroit is under $26,000/year.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:40 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
Janitor is the union designation for the job. This person probably doesnt do a whole lot of "janitorial" work. As a teamster "Janitor" I drove forklift, inventoried and moved fixtures, assembly,kept the warehouse, Packing & shipping and some clean up on the floor which was far from scrubbing toilets. In fact we used to hire a janitorial company to come in and clean offices toilets etc...

I made $11 an hour doing this in 2000 in the UP

Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Starting wage for a UAW Janitor at GM is $52,000/year + benefits.

Solid Economic Gains - 2003 UAW GM and Delphi Report (http://www.uaw.org/contracts/03/gm/gm02.cfm - broken link)

Do you really need to pay somebody $52,000+ to scrub toilets and mop floors?

I didn't even make $52,000 for quite some time after 4 years of college.

The median starting wage for a Janitor elsewhere in Detroit is under $26,000/year.
The only thing is -- many people who graduate from college don't work especially hard, and many aren't especially well educated. And that is becoming more and more true with 20% of college graduates functionally illiterate.

The unions got carried away but who is to decide what a wage should be? It should be based on supply and demand which may mean some jobs that are harder to fill college or no college would pay better than jobs that are easy to fill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan