Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:01 AM

63 posts, read 129,310 times

Advertisements

Michigan police officer flies Confederate flag at anti-Trump protest | Don't Miss This | record-eagle.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 08:59 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Conveniently removed. As, I hope, was the police officer, from duty. If a public official does this while on duty (I assume), he has no business being in that job.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:35 AM

792 posts, read 2,324,532 times
For a long time I've been wondering why we see so many Confederate flags here in Michigan. I asked about it on this thread but got no answers from people who would admit to flying the flag themselves.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I saw some people flying the confederate flag at Greenfield Village. If you go there during the right week, you can ask them.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:02 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
It's pretty popular in rural areas - for example if you drive up near Romeo/Armada/Richmond/St Clair it's very common to see confederate flags on pick up trucks. Many of them actually also have a plate that says "Heritage not hate".

For people in the country - a rebel flag (akin to Kid Rock style) represented country pride (i.e. you're not a city slicker).

It has nothing to do with race or racial issues. For those people.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:40 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
It's pretty popular in rural areas - for example if you drive up near Romeo/Armada/Richmond/St Clair it's very common to see confederate flags on pick up trucks. Many of them actually also have a plate that says "Heritage not hate".

For people in the country - a rebel flag (akin to Kid Rock style) represented country pride (i.e. you're not a city slicker).

It has nothing to do with race or racial issues. For those people.
Ehhhh, I don't know if I agree with that. I grew up in one of those towns where some kids had rebel flags flying from pickup trucks. And some of those kids were definitely racist. Openly racist. It didn't take any research to figure it out. I mean yes, their primary reason for liking the flag was more of a "country pride" thing and not racism, but there were certainly some racial prejudices held by those same kids.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:16 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Conveniently removed. As, I hope, was the police officer, from duty. If a public official does this while on duty (I assume), he has no business being in that job.
There was a police officer in my local area recently that flew the confederate flag in her yard and she was fired. They swear under oath to protect the people, and by flying that flag the black folks had just cause for believing she might not try as hard to help them, or worse, pick on them.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:19 PM

211 posts, read 587,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
The officer in question was not on duty. He was displaying both an American flag and a Confederate battle flag on the back of his private vehicle, on Veterans day. He has been suspended with pay, pending an investigation.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:25 PM

211 posts, read 587,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
There was a police officer in my local area recently that flew the confederate flag in her yard and she was fired. They swear under oath to protect the people, and by flying that flag the black folks had just cause for believing she might not try as hard to help them, or worse, pick on them.
If she was actually fired simply for flying the Confederate flag at her private residence, I suspect that the municipality in question will be on the losing end of a lawsuit for wrongful discharge.

The first amendment is designed to protect all speech, regardless of whether it's reprehensible or not. Just because someone takes offense at the expressions or speech of another, does not make it illegal or grounds for being fired. Certainly a police department can and should have guidelines for what an officer can or cannot do while on duty but when they are off duty they are simply a private citizen, no less or more then anyone else and last time I looked flying any kind of flag, whether it's a Confederate flag, an LGBT rainbow flag or any other type of flag which may offend someone, is not illegal.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:30 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswee View Post
The officer in question was not on duty. He was displaying both an American flag and a Confederate battle flag on the back of his private vehicle, on Veterans day. He has been suspended with pay, pending an investigation.
I have an issue with at least two issues here:

1. We still have that thing called the 1st Amendment, right? Yes, the Confederate flag is an inflammatory symbol and yes, it may make some people feel unsafe, but so might the Oakland Raiders flag. I'm not equating the two - just saying that there's not a 100% correlation between flying the flag and not doing one's job. As far as I am concerned, the fact that he did it while off duty does make a difference. Not that I like it much, but that's the reality. And how are we to know that he was flying it as a symbol of slavery and segregation and not ol' dumb rural pride?

2. Assuming you dismiss my argument in (1), why was he suspended WITH pay?

(disclaimer: I tend to lean left and am as anti-Confederacy as one gets)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan