Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 10:14 AM

301 posts, read 816,973 times

Advertisements

I was involved in a fun conversation with family (ages 15-65) last evening regarding the doldrums of the grey Michigan winters. Comments were made that Traverse City area always feels like it has more to offer than the Kalamazoo area for folks who aren't committed outdoor lovers when the weather is inclement. It was also thought that the population was younger, restaurants more diverse, and there were more and varied indoor events and activities available. Is this really true, or are we only judging based on what we see as tourists when we are there? Only 2 of us have ever lived there - and that was for only a year almost 40 years ago! We all live in the Greater Kalamazoo Area now, but have been visiting Traverse City for decades. Is there anyone with a perspective of moving from one to the other that has a resident perspective and can comment on our "grass is always greener" musings lol! We are a wide range of ages, but we all seemed to have the same overall impression. We know the outside activities in the spring, summer, and fall are hard to beat but are looking at indoor offerings besides eating and shopping during the winter months.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 12:12 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,842,984 times
Never been to Traverse City. Heard it's a great place to visit but I don't think it can hold a candle to Kalamazoo in terms of, economy, proximity, ect. From what I understand, Traverse City is like a bigger version of South Haven or something. Unless you have a good paying job lined up there, stick to visiting.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:51 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,154,269 times
Traverse City has a lot of great stuff going on - caveat I've only been there a few times in the last couple of years. But it is small. So there is a lot going on for its sizer. And it gets smaller in the winter. And there isn't much else nearby. And the winters are particularly brutal and gray in that particular spot of the northern lower. I've been thinking of moving there and have been watching the weather. Other than maybe winter is shorter you might was well be in the UP. Marquette probably gets more sun. Of course if you are into snowmobiling or other outdoor sports then it has more than Kazoo.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:27 PM

5,248 posts, read 5,960,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Never been to Traverse City. Heard it's a great place to visit but I don't think it can hold a candle to Kalamazoo in terms of, economy, proximity, ect. From what I understand, Traverse City is like a bigger version of South Haven or something. Unless you have a good paying job lined up there, stick to visiting.
Be careful assuming too much. Traverse certainly isn't on the level of Kalamazoo, but to look at it as a bigger version of South Haven would be misleading. Traverse City is the commercial center for pretty much everything north of Big Rapids. Keep in mind that while the city itself has 15k residents, it really seats an urban area closer to 60k people. It's Micropolitan area has 140k residents, and when you add up the greater Grand Traverse Bay area (Including Petoskey and Charlevoix) you are comfortably over 200k. No city close to the size of South Haven has both a Mercedes, and BMW dealership. Cherry Capital Airport (TVC) actually serves more passengers than Kalamazoo's airport. In fact as of the 2014 numbers it was starting to close in on Lansing's passenger numbers. (Can't find current airport statistics they are a pain to locate). It's a possibility that TVC could end up the 4th busiest airport in Michigan if it isn't already. It's got a strong economy which goes beyond a South Haven beach atmosphere. It has some manufacturing, as well as financial services and banking as it's the center of commerce in about an 80 mile radius. The construction/trades sector is also quite busy with the new home growth, and construction/investment in the core. Make no mistake in what i'm saying it is a tourist/vacation area. There is a reason it has the retail offerings of a 500k person metro area, as well as a renowned restaurant scene. The type of people who have summer homes in Traverse have big time money they come from all over the country. Not the "Chicago-burb we have a great weekend place in South Haven money".

Kalamazoo has a major research university, fortune 500 Stryker (and the billionare wealth that accompanies it.) It has an attractive downtown that is working on getting better, and an atmosphere that's on a different level than TVC. It's definitely more of an apples to oranges comparison, but I wouldn't be so quick to brush Traverse off as a Lake Michigan cottage town with a couple of breweries.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:38 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,842,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Be careful assuming too much. Traverse certainly isn't on the level of Kalamazoo, but to look at it as a bigger version of South Haven would be misleading. Traverse City is the commercial center for pretty much everything north of Big Rapids. Keep in mind that while the city itself has 15k residents, it really seats an urban area closer to 60k people. It's Micropolitan area has 140k residents, and when you add up the greater Grand Traverse Bay area (Including Petoskey and Charlevoix) you are comfortably over 200k. No city close to the size of South Haven has both a Mercedes, and BMW dealership. Cherry Capital Airport (TVC) actually serves more passengers than Kalamazoo's airport. In fact as of the 2014 numbers it was starting to close in on Lansing's passenger numbers. (Can't find current airport statistics they are a pain to locate). It's a possibility that TVC could end up the 4th busiest airport in Michigan if it isn't already. It's got a strong economy which goes beyond a South Haven beach atmosphere. It has some manufacturing, as well as financial services and banking as it's the center of commerce in about an 80 mile radius. The construction/trades sector is also quite busy with the new home growth, and construction/investment in the core. Make no mistake in what i'm saying it is a tourist/vacation area. There is a reason it has the retail offerings of a 500k person metro area, as well as a renowned restaurant scene. The type of people who have summer homes in Traverse have big time money they come from all over the country. Not the "Chicago-burb we have a great weekend place in South Haven money".

Kalamazoo has a major research university, fortune 500 Stryker (and the billionare wealth that accompanies it.) It has an attractive downtown that is working on getting better, and an atmosphere that's on a different level than TVC. It's definitely more of an apples to oranges comparison, but I wouldn't be so quick to brush Traverse off as a Lake Michigan cottage town with a couple of breweries.
Thanks for the info, I really learned alot. I was only going off of what alot of others have told me about it not having alot of good career opportunities but still a great place to visit. I knew it was alot larger than South Haven I just couldn't find a better comparison in terms of being a tourist town vs a city with more job opportunities but not as good of a place to visit.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 739,009 times
I lived in TC, my sister in Kalamazoo. Both are really great places. TC has the added benefit of simply gorgeous natural areas right downtown--there is fishing on the Boardman literally steps out of offices/businesses and beach areas/marinas within a few blocks of anywhere downtown. Downsides? It's expensive, and it is absolutely tourist clogged in the summer months. Traffic can be nightmarish. As a resident, we learned to live with a lot of the downside, simply because it is a stunning place to live! My sister & I always said we'd be happy to live in either city. TC does lack the impact of a state university and what that population brings.

Now I live in Marquette, and while I do miss some of the access to a greater variety of stores or restaurants, I wouldn't trade it for either place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan